• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

PS cooler - what else might work?

u0061914

Loc.
Prior Lake, MN
Last weekend, when I was out wheeling, my stock power steering cooler sprung a leak. I have not been able to find one yet, so I'm looking at what else might work for a make shift cooler? Something from another vehicle? Or some aftermarket. let me know what you might have done.

K-Dog33

Loc.
South Central PA
I used a automatic transmission cooler off of a mid 80's Ford Ranger. It was bolted just behind the grille and easy to remove. I haven't had a PS overheating issue since.

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
I am doing a frame off restoration. I am adding a brand new power steering set up. The truck originally had manual steering. I was just going to buy a small oil cooler and plum it into the low pressure return line. I don't see why this can not be done. Any cooler with the right size inlet and outlet tubes should work just fine.

Chris B.

Bones

Loc.
Michigan
as the above said... any oil cooler will work (trans, engine, etc), just make sure it is in the low pressure side of the pump

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
I used a ch**y 400 small block oil cooler from B&M and mounted it on the underneath side of the inner-fender. This was done because I have the clearance, but the same unit would fit in front of the radiator core support between the grill

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Years ago I used an AC condensor (think that's what the radiator for the AC is called) as a tranny cooler. I don't see why it wouldn't work for the PS as well. Might be a little big for that though.

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
lots of the mid 90's ford vans have nice stacked plate type oil coolers. i got mine for a couple bucks at the pull-it yard