• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Push bottom automatic shifter

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
does anybody have experience with the 4 r70w with one of these push button shifter s
saw this bronco on BAT and thought it was pretty cool. Comes in different designs too 1657D212-7227-4273-B25D-2ADDA715FB4F.png

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No direct experience with them, but I know from driving mine I sure wouldn’t want to reach that far to make gear changes.
It’s hard enough reaching for radio and heater controls if you have a three point shoulder/seatbelt. If just a lap belt, it’s probably not as bad.
But still a long way.

OP
OP
spap

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yea I would deff but it closer and mount somewhere else didn’t even think how far away that is. But if it was fully electric might be a good option

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Probably nothing more than a linear actuator and position sensor. A little microprocessor to control it. A good way at adding complexity with just about no future servicability. Dunk it in a few big puddles, and now you have no shifter at all.

Looks like another flipper that couldn't find all the parts to finish the build. The rubber pad on the brake pedal isn't that big of a job.

OP
OP
spap

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
even with the flaws sold for 107,000, I like lore direct connections also just seeing even one had it and if they liked. With a computer controlled trans all the electronic should be in the cab

Lawndart

Loc.
Going back and forth through D & R to get unstuck or unlock hubs would be a self inflicted pain in the ass and hincky as you would be leaning over and forward.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Probably nothing more than a linear actuator and position sensor. A little microprocessor to control it. A good way at adding complexity with just about no future servicability. Dunk it in a few big puddles, and now you have no shifter at all.
It's a 4R70W trans...probably many ways to implement simple button/switch control inputs.

Definitely not located in a convenient spot on that rig though...

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
With a computer controlled trans all the electronic should be in the cab
The 4R70W is not purely-electronically-controlled - it still requires mechanical shifting, just like an E4OD. So that pushbutton must operate some electromechanical shifter somewhere. It's possible the linear actuator is mounted in the engine bay or dash and still uses the original cable shift linkage to keep the actuator cleaner. But in that case, the pushbutton becomes just a REALLY-expensive & complex indulgence - not a rational "improvement" in any way.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It's a 4R70W trans...probably many ways to implement simple button/switch control inputs.

Definitely not located in a convenient spot on that rig though...
Not really. You still need to actuate the parking pawl. And the valve body still needs the manual lever in the right place so fluid will flow to the right places. More modern transmissions have each clutch pack applied. The 4R70W isn't that way. You can completely unplug the transmission and still get Park, Reverse, Neutral, and 2nd gear with no engine braking just from moving the manual lever. The computer only has limited shift capability. It throttles back line pressure and selects which forward gear to be in, and convertor lock up. That is all it can do. Nothing shy of inventing a new valve body, and a new controller to run it, will you get any more control of that transmission. If you are looking at a push button conversion for the 4R70W, there is an actuator moving the manual lever just like a regular shifter would.

I think you have to step up to the 10R80 to get the true shift by wire, I don't think they put it on the 6R80.

OP
OP
spap

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I like the 4 r for what I do the quick shift does a good job. Still have to dial in the shifter just asked if anybody had it and had real experience with it.
if there is a separate actuator to actually move the shifter since it isn’t drive by wire, that’s a big liability I think.

ngsd

Bronco Guru

Looks like another flipper that couldn't find all the parts to finish the build. The rubber pad on the brake pedal isn't that big of a job

Looks like another flipper that couldn't find all the parts to finish the build. The rubber pad on the brake pedal isn't that big of a job.
The shifters are made by PCS
https://www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com
and have been around for a while very serviceable and built very well. The actuator precision is very accurate. The actuator motor is sealed well and mounted up in the engine bay where if it was dunked, other items would go long before this did. As far as the location, yes it is in the center but this is obviously not built as a serious off road rig and the need to switch gears often was not high on the list of concerns. The pictures selected by BAT were old before the interior was finished. Not a flipper who couldn't find parts, it was done right. This had more high end parts than most of them in this price range.

Attachments

• pedals.jpg
    pedals.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 8

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
To make it simple from a Ford Technicians insight. The buttons tell a shift motor to move a cable that shifts the transmission, it's been fairly bullet proof in the newer Ford's that use it. What ticks me off is that Ford saw fit to put a rotary knob in the new Mustangs if any car needs a "real" shifter it's a Mustang.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Mustangs and trucks!!! Definitely not a fan of twisting a knob to shift gears. Definitely a trend and I don't have a buddy yet that likes his "rotary switch" to shift gears... :(

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Ford also like to use organ switches for gear shifts. I would say piano keys, but there is no action left in this keyboard. Unless Ray Charles can prove me wrong.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I'm practical almost to a fault...

Push button is OK IF it can be operated quickly and safely. Having to reach down to the dash to shift is IMHO ridiculous- it's not safe.

I shift my 6r with a simple SPDT rocker. It is at the base of my shifter which is on the end of my console and is done w/o looking and is fast. I can't imagine having to reach down to the dash like Paul was saying, take your eyes off the road, lean over, try to get your finger to hit the button ast you're bouncing down the road in your EB.

Whatever... if the owner likes it and doesn't kill somebody by trying to shift then WTH right??? lol

Last edited: