• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Qjet tested with questions

bnk70bronco

Loc.
Redding, CA
I replaced my intake manifold seals and it seems to run much better now. My right idle mixture screw will almost kill the engine now all the way in. I only had a few minutes to mess with it tonight. I am going to the rocks tomorrow so we shall see how it does out there. I'll let you know how it goes.

OP
OP
72_EB

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
bnk70,
Are you running a junkyard Qjet or one from Chuck? Which adapter?

Well, I still wasn't able to adjust the secondaries. It looks like my carb is a bit different. I found out it is off an '85 Chevy 350 truck.
Take a look at this...
55817840.jpg

There is a small screw underneath that green rod. No allenhead lock underneath though. Do you think this adjusts them? When I turn it, it almost feels like it is "indexed" and not smooth.

Here's the update on mine. I think it is a vacuum leak somewhere I am fighting (Small backfire upon decel). Along with that secondary upper flap still not opening at full throttle.
Vacuum isn't terrific, best steady reading is about 15 when warm.
My motor read right around 18 with the old Holley 2 barrel if I rememeber right, but this without the brake booster too.
I cranked my choke all the way open, alittle bit to warm up now, but when warm, carb seems decent. Haven't hit the rocks yet, to see how it does on angles and such.

I'm going to have to buy a Quadrajet book I think and stop bothering everyone. :p Anyone have the HP book or Haynes book available at Amazon? One better than the other?
Either this, buy one of Chuck's or find someone who knows how to rebuild these in the Chicago area.

bnk70bronco

Loc.
Redding, CA
I am running a junkyard one that I had rebuilt by carb guy here locally.
I must say....the q-jet is the best carb ever. I went on a trail today that I could only dream about before. I was on my side, pointing up, bouncing around like crazy on the rocks and it never stumbled, stuttered, hesitated or anything. I was in heaven. I went up this steep, steep waterfall that would have taken me about 6 tries and 6 minutes of running the starter with my holley, and with the q-jet it just crawled right up and kept on going. Totally awsome.