• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ragin Cajun does a Swan Dance - BC Soft Top Install

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
So I pulled the trigger and made a huge decision that it was time to morph my truck from a street cruiser show truck into a trail rig. I've done the shows, taken a trophy or two and that was fun -- but like an old cowboy once told me, " a horse wants to be a horse - not a piece of yard art ". So here we go...

I'll be taking it to our place in CO and using it to explore the old mining trails around our place, along with providing our daily transportation. I just don't like wheelin' with a hard top so it was time to take that thing off and replace it with something that lets me enjoy the fresh air! I really liked the old "Can Bak" tops because of the sturdy frame, along with the ability to leave the full top on while taking off the sides all the way around. This is perfect for the CO mountains, since you can count on rain burst every afternoon while wheelin'!

The only real option I had was the top from BC. I called Chuck and told him I'd heard a few rumblings about fit, and he told me if I didn't like it to take it off and send it back to him -- no questions. I couldn't ask for more than that, so I pulled the trigger. I asked my boys over at HCC here in Dallas to help me, and they were awesome. The interior quarter panels caused us to have to do a few unatural things, but other than that the install was pretty uneventful. Normal pain in the butt things that you always encounter, but nothing extraordinary. It was about a 7 hour process in a shop with all the tools needed. There are a couple of minor issues with fit on the rear corners, but I think a couple of days sitting in the Texas sun will help with those. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. The ride home was a little noisier, but I've got a great stereo and just turned it up louder! ;D The AC kept me comfy in the 103 degree heat on the drive home, so that was a surprise! Here's a few pics in order of how it went down... Enjoy...

Attachments

• Install1.jpg
    Install1.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 197
  • install2.jpg
    install2.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 198
  • install3.jpg
    install3.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 189
  • install4.jpg
    install4.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 190
  • install5.jpg
    install5.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 201
  • install6.jpg
    install6.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 193
  • install7.jpg
    install7.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 215
  • install8.jpg
    install8.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 193
  • install9.jpg
    install9.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 247

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Great job!! Now you know you don't need that AC so let me have it. he he he

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Oh yea I do like the color of your eb. What is it? Hot ginger met?

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Sweet Ride!! Looks great w/the BC top on there.

MO you should get "another" bronco for off road, keep that one Purdy! :)

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Sweet Ride!! Looks great w/the BC top on there.

MO you should get "another" bronco for off road, keep that one Purdy! :)

Yeah -- I really struggled with the decision, and actually was in the middle of doing that when I decided to just downsize to one -- and I sold the one I was going to build strictly for off-road (see Izzy's impulse buy thread). But when I built the RC initially, it was to be a multi-purpose (street/trail). So it's got a pretty hard core drive train under it. Don't get me wrong -- it will never be a rock crawler! but it will take me to some out of the way places just beyond the normal reach of a car. I think I can "have it all" -- purdy and trail worthy. Hope I'm right!! ?:??:?

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
It looks great coach. Can't wait to see some pics from CO. Heck, I can't wait to see CO again period!!

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I had no idea how solid the frame was for this soft top. Looks pretty nice on your rig. Enjoy Colorado. There are a lot of Bronco brothers up there.

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
It looks great coach. Can't wait to see some pics from CO. Heck, I can't wait to see CO again period!!

Thanks brutha -- wish I could meet you up there in a few weeks...you need to get rid of that job thing! It's cutting into your personal time! ;)

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
I had no idea how solid the frame was for this soft top. Looks pretty nice on your rig. Enjoy Colorado. There are a lot of Bronco brothers up there.

I was pretty surprised with how rigid it was -- much better than two pieces of u-shaped conduit for my needs! Hope to hook up with some local folks soon. We will start living there all summer starting next summer -- lot's of time to hit the trails!!

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Sweet Bronco man.. Are you keeping the hardtop?

Definitely keeping the hardtop -- too many hours and $$'s in that thing to ever get rid of it.. and I'm sure at some point I will change my mind (like we all do with these beasts), and want my hard top back! ;D

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
So I pulled the trigger and made a huge decision that it was time to morph my truck from a street cruiser show truck into a trail rig. I've done the shows, taken a trophy or two and that was fun -- but like an old cowboy once told me, " a horse wants to be a horse - not a piece of yard art ". So here we go...

I'll be taking it to our place in CO and using it to explore the old mining trails around our place, along with providing our daily transportation. I just don't like wheelin' with a hard top so it was time to take that thing off and replace it with something that lets me enjoy the fresh air! I really liked the old "Can Bak" tops because of the sturdy frame, along with the ability to leave the full top on while taking off the sides all the way around. This is perfect for the CO mountains, since you can count on rain burst every afternoon while wheelin'!

The only real option I had was the top from BC. I called Chuck and told him I'd heard a few rumblings about fit, and he told me if I didn't like it to take it off and send it back to him -- no questions. I couldn't ask for more than that, so I pulled the trigger. I asked my boys over at HCC here in Dallas to help me, and they were awesome. The interior quarter panels caused us to have to do a few unatural things, but other than that the install was pretty uneventful. Normal pain in the butt things that you always encounter, but nothing extraordinary. It was about a 7 hour process in a shop with all the tools needed. There are a couple of minor issues with fit on the rear corners, but I think a couple of days sitting in the Texas sun will help with those. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. The ride home was a little noisier, but I've got a great stereo and just turned it up louder! ;D The AC kept me comfy in the 103 degree heat on the drive home, so that was a surprise! Here's a few pics in order of how it went down... Enjoy...

Hi Scott, glad you like the top. FYI We are making insulated head liners now. Sounds like your guys had a little trouble installing the top. I would like to know what the problems were so maybe I can make some changes to make it easier, your guys are the first pros to install one that I know of.

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Hi Scott, glad you like the top. FYI We are making insulated head liners now. Sounds like your guys had a little trouble installing the top. I would like to know what the problems were so maybe I can make some changes to make it easier, your guys are the first pros to install one that I know of.

The top is awesome Chuck -- it's just what I wanted. We did have a minor bump or two on the install, but no big deal. I will call you next week to give you a run down on those. Anxious to haul it up to CO in a few days and un-snap those sides so I can enjoy the cool fresh air while wheeling her on her maiden off-road voyage!

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Hi Scott, glad you like the top. FYI We are making insulated head liners now. Sounds like your guys had a little trouble installing the top. I would like to know what the problems were so maybe I can make some changes to make it easier, your guys are "the first pros to install one" that I know of.

Just thought I would quote this before the edit.

bowhunter

Bronco Guru

Hmmmm!! That felt a little personal Chuck. You sure know how to find the old skeletons in the closet and just toss them out into the living room.

FYI - some of us don't have store fronts and sell Bronco parts, but I don't think that makes us "unprofessional"! IMO, what I had to do to your top to make it fit properly would deem me pretty darn professional.

Just saying.

Sorry for the highjack coach. Nice looking rig you got there and the top looks great on it. Actually, I like mine very much!

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Hmmmm!! That felt a little personal Chuck. You sure know how to find the old skeletons in the closet and just toss them out into the living room.

FYI - some of us don't have store fronts and sell Bronco parts, but I don't think that makes us "unprofessional"! IMO, what I had to do to your top to make it fit properly would deem me pretty darn professional.

Just saying.

Sorry for the highjack coach. Nice looking rig you got there and the top looks great on it. Actually, I like mine very much!

I too am sorry for the hijack Scott.
bowhunter, I was not thinking of you when I posted and did not know that we were still having problems. If you are still having issues please call, I thought I had sent all the top changes that were inspired by the problems you had. Here on CB are many, many people very capable of doing anything to a Bronco that they want to and some pros. It's obvious that you are capable of and do very nice work. Coach had a shop install my top. The pros are not EB experts but professional installers and I am sure this is the first of my tops that they have installed but because they are pros most likely they have installed other tops so have knowledge of such things in general so their input may be valuable to improve my top. Sorry you took offense