• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

The Saga Begins - project Ragin' Cajun 5_04_07 UPDATES

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Project Ragin' Cajun - HOME AGAIN! SAGA COMING TO AN END

LASTEST UPDATE - 5-17-09 - After 4 years, it's home again!! About 98% done - New PICS on the LAST PAGE OF THREAD

Some of you might remember when I posted a note lookin' for someone to restore my '74. Well, my first 2 choices (you know who you are Steve/Nick) are backed up into the next millenium, so I found a "somewhat" local guy about 3.5 hrs South of me. I loaded her up today, and will head out about 5:00 a.m. tomorrow morning. We'll pull the motor/tranny when I get there, and I'll turn around and come home with them for local rebuilds. Then the fun begins for him! I'll be giving some updates as we progress -- hope it's as fun as I think it's gonna be! Here's some last pics of the o'l gal as she "was"...loaded up and ready for an extreme makeover! She's loaded with parts, as is the tow truck! here we go....thanks to all you guys for your support along the way

Attachments

• start01.jpg
    start01.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 267
  • start1.jpg
    start1.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 154
  • start02.jpg
    start02.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 153
  • start04.jpg
    start04.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 205
  • start05.jpg
    start05.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Yep -- it's stayin' uncut -- will ride a "little" higher, but won't touch those fenders. The theme behind this truck will be "don't do anything that would make my grandad come back from the grave and whip my back-side" (which he would do if I cut those fenders!..hence the name Ragin' Cajun) -- only change those things that enhance the safety/drivability/comfort, and don't do anything to make it too "crazy"..so we'll be adding tilt steering, in-dash A/C with retro controls, a little custom paint work, C4, and a few other little goodies that you might not even notice unless you look really, really hard! I've thought about this for about 5 yrs now, and think I've covered most everything -- I'm sure there will be plenty of things pop up, but the theme will stay the same.

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
Thats good to hear. Cant wait to see the finished product. How long are you figuring on it taking?

IowaMike

Bronco Guru
If that one needs a restoration, I'd hate to think what category my 2 are in. That looks way better than any around here for sure. Good luck with the project.

ghost66

Bronco Guru
coach resto

What color are you going to paint it Coach, I like the idea of keepin it uncut I was going to do that but the fun just got hold of me. Of course I didin't have an EB with a history either so it made it easy to modify it.Good luck with everything and don't be a stranger to the shop, that's when they take advantage of time when you don't show up to see progress.I was hovering over mine almost daily.

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
What color are you going to paint it Coach
Well, I didn't want to stray too far from original..but..I'm going with a Sunburst Orange Metallic, trimmed in Dark Grey Mettalic - both of those colors can be found on a 2005 Avanlanche -- I'll use the dark grey in some stock and "not-so-stock" ways...plus, I'll sneak in a little real deal custom paint work..nothing obnoxious, but definitely unique. The interior is going dark grey..you'll see lot's and lot's of stuff from this website and BD magazine - because I've been stealing ideas for the past 3 yrs!! ;D Good tip on stayin' all over the shop -- unfortunately, it's about a 3.5 hr drive -- but I've got a good buddy who lives about 20 minutes from him and is going to swing by once a week for a little "photo session"
;)

What kind of leaf springs are those
Those are from Wild Horses -- 2.5" 11 leaf -- I'll be running Duff front coils with dual shocks(duff) on hoops in front, and dual shocks(duff) in the rear as well. In addition, the WH body mounts include a 1" lift, so I'm thinkin' I'll get 31" tires with uncut fenders.

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Thought I'd share the first pics -- here she is, stripped of her dignity! :'( :'(

Only had minor rust, in the usual places. Floorpans, and right behind striker plate. Also replacing the RRear qtr because of an old wiskey dent made by my grandpa -- looks like he brought it over to one of his cronies for a "quick gallon of bondo" fix so my grandma wouldn't find out! Other than that, no big surprises. I'm making a run down in a week or so with more parts, so I'll get some more pics. In the mean time, thanks to Broncow for these! I can sleep better now. ;D

Attachments

• Scotts bronc 001.jpg
    Scotts bronc 001.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 176

4x4Alaska

Loc.
Wasilla, Alaska
Awesome coach....sounds like you've got a great rig in mind....Man, I dream of finding rigs like that to resto...one with history like that makes that a one of a kind for sure...hope things go well for ya...looking forward to watching this one!

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
I picked up the tranny and xfer case to get rebuilt yesterday, and thought I'd throw out a couple of pics of where she is in the process. See ya -- Scott

Attachments

• 071505001.jpg
    071505001.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 122
  • 071505002.jpg
    071505002.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 138

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
That one looks like it is going to be a piece of cake. Did you see what I started with ? It even looks like you are bringing the guy parts BEFORE he gets started ( I'm still waiting for parts :( ). I hope it turns out well for you ! Sit back and relax ;D

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
2badrotties said:
That one looks like it is going to be a piece of cake. Did you see what I started with ? It even looks like you are bringing the guy parts BEFORE he gets started ( I'm still waiting for parts :( ). I hope it turns out well for you ! Sit back and relax ;D
Yeah, I guess you could say I dropped off some parts! ;D

"Sit back and relax"..you'd just have to know me to understand how that comment has me ROFL! ;D

Thanks -- it's a "stressfull" time....See ya -- Scott

Attachments

• parts.jpg
    parts.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 166

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
cdkaminsky said:
Yeah looks like just a few parts!!!

Who do you have working on your EB? Is Rockwall in the Dallas area?

Rockwall's just a little east of Dallas.

It looks like she's headed in the right direction, Scott. Keep us posted.

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Updated pics 1-17-06. It's been dipped and some parts are starting to be sprayed. Everything is going to be either Metallic Gray, Metallic "sunburst" Orange with a little Duff blue thrown in. We're even repainting the new stuff that comes Black like the BC tank to the Gray. It's starting to actually look like an EB again. See ya --

Click Here for Updated Pics

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Holy crap...now that's a restoration. I was totaly in the zone looking at all the pics. LOOKS GREAT. Damn..I'm getting excited too.