• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Raptor Liner this weekend any last minute advice

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
On a previous thread you guys convinced me to Raptor Liner was the way to go. Well the time has come. I plan to spray this weekend and I'm doing the prep work now.

Full disclosure I'm doing my Samurai this weekend before I do the bed of the Bronco. Like to get the mistakes over and done with and technique down before doing my baby.

All rust has been removed I.E. cut out and replaced with new metal.
Any surface rust has been hit with a power stripper and coated with POR-15
All newly welded in metal has been cleaned and POR-15'd
Everything that can be removed has been.

Plan is to start roughing up the paint tonight and wipe it all down. Use some self etching primer where needed and once dry, rough it up with 120 grit then clean everything one last time. Seam seal some areas that need it.

Tape everything off and spray on Saturday (maybe Sunday if I get behind)

Any "gotchas" I need to worry about? Masking advice on the bed rails and around the doors?

Tim

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, I was going to offer several suggestions, but since it's not going on a bronco, i'm going to withhold them.

Lol. Seriously, tho, it sounds like you've got everything covered. and with that word, I'll only suggest making sure you have everything covered WELL. I had a few splatters in places I didn't intend them to land.

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have read that foam ear plugs in bolt holes make for easier thread cleanup and don’t leave shadows like a bolt would

Hank

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Well, I was going to offer several suggestions, but since it's not going on a bronco, i'm going to withhold them.

Lol. Seriously, tho, it sounds like you've got everything covered. and with that word, I'll only suggest making sure you have everything covered WELL. I had a few splatters in places I didn't intend them to land.

Just jealous of my sweet Sammy ;D.......and yes, I plan to over mask. I got paper and plastic with several rolls of 3/4 inch tape......

I have read that foam ear plugs in bolt holes make for easier thread cleanup and don’t leave shadows like a bolt would

Hank

I've read that too. Plan to use them.

Tim

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
golf tees are handy for holes too

wear old clothes or get a spray outfit. nitrile gloves to keep it off you

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I Did mine in a paint booth. I would suggest putting down cardboard or something on the floor. I would also wear some shoes you dont like or wear some booties. I shot some on the outside of the body and rails that sticky stuff got on my shoes and the plastic we used to mask things off stuck to my shoes. Great fun when you are trying to walk around the vehicle. Worst part was when I was done I walked across the dirt parking lot and into another building with a painted concrete floor. I had no traction on my shoes due to the sand and dirt sticking to the soles. Busted my butt trying to play with the dog. Awesome!
Good times!

Attac

Contributor
Timmy,
I just have been studying up on spraying raptor over POR and this is what found.
You can spray it directly over it without sanding if you spray the raptor during the flash time of the POR. I know you already POR'd but if you have a few more spots you want to hit you can raptor it when it flashes. Flash on it is temp dependant but ususally about 3 hrs.
Now for the sraying itself...I sprayed a high pressure coat all over first to get coverage and to get it into the nooks and crannies. Then for the second coat i adjusted my pressure down to get the pattern that i wanted.. It came out well that way.. I am no expert though. Only done the 2 and the first i tried to shoot it with the same pressure(lower) both coats and it didnt lay down as well so the second one i did i used above process. Your only talking 5-10 psi making a huge difference in the pattern. Use a piece of cardboard or something to set your pattern coat before you start your second coat..
Oh yea clean your shutz gun after the first coat.
Chuck

Muddy1966Bronco

Loc.
Central PA
My husband just used this a couple weekends ago and he said it was so easy to spray. It goes quick. We used more than expected. Overspray wasn’t as bad as what we thought, except for on the floor. We used a heavy paper. It worked great. I could see how plastic would stick to your shoes and start tearing or making walking difficult. The paper didn’t do that. But yes, watch your traction...you will have NONE once that stuff dries on the bottom of your shoes! It does wear off, but be careful.

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I'll be spraying....outside......I know I know.......Plan is to do early morning before it gets sunny and hot (high of 90 is the forecast with little to no wind).

I was so worried about using more than expected I got a 8 liter kit ($198 delivered with gun). I HOPE it's enough to do the Sam (which includes the roll bar) and the bed of the Bronco (which currently has a very faded and pealing Herculiner from 15 plus years ago).

Tim

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Don't get cocky after you do the Sammy and do a worse job on the Bronco.

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I sprayed a high pressure coat all over first to get coverage and to get it into the nooks and crannies. Then for the second coat i adjusted my pressure down to get the pattern that i wanted.. It came out well that way.. I am no expert though. Only done the 2 and the first i tried to shoot it with the same pressure(lower) both coats and it didnt lay down as well so the second one i did i used above process. Your only talking 5-10 psi making a huge difference in the pattern. Use a piece of cardboard or something to set your pattern coat before you start your second coat..
Oh yea clean your shutz gun after the first coat.
Chuck

I like the higher pressure first coat as I have a few areas that are going to be hard to get at. The higher pressure will force it in I hope.

Gun cleaning........I plan to use Acetone......is there something better to use?

Scuffed last night....found a couple areas i need to go back and coat with POR and a cracked seat mount I need to weld up

Tim

socofn

Loc.
Pueblo
I cleaned with acetone. Worked well. Mask/cover what you don't want black specs on. Good luck.

kylakekevin

Bronco Guru
I did the inside from windows down and floor front to back, all the the out side with 8 bottles. Make sure everything is scuffed real good, I used red scotch bright pads for the door jambs and hard to reach places. Make sure all rust and bare metal are taken care of. I have some small rust issues a year later in places I thought I had good enough ( this thing was a bucket of rust to start with). Prep was the worst part of the job to me, spray was easy and quick. Make sure you have a ladder to do the top and DO NOT spot spray for touch up, the texture will be different. I like the durability of it but it will scratch if you run it down something hard enough;D

Attachments

• 20171026_084824.jpg
    20171026_084824.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 20171026_084818.jpg
    20171026_084818.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 20171027_060837.jpg
    20171027_060837.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 75

kylakekevin

Bronco Guru
Going to do the inside of this once everything gets lined out. Couldn't leave my last post be of a j**p. lol

Attachments

• 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 98

Attac

Contributor
I like the higher pressure first coat as I have a few areas that are going to be hard to get at. The higher pressure will force it in I hope.

Gun cleaning........I plan to use Acetone......is there something better to use?

Scuffed last night....found a couple areas i need to go back and coat with POR and a cracked seat mount I need to weld up

Tim

Yep acetone or other paint thinner works good. This stuff actually sprays really fast and between coats you need to clean. I actually bought a second gun for like 15.00 just in case.
If you are gonna POR some more then do it a few hours before and let it flash before you spray the liner. The POR needs about 3-4 days to cure fully to shoot the liner over if you don't spray right after.

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I plan to POR the 2 areas this afternoon as well as fix the crack in the seat mount. I also HOPE to get some primer down. Fingers crossed.

Prep really is the hard part.....My guess is the "spray" will push into Sunday morning at this pace.

Tim

Attac

Contributor
The spray part goes quick. I sprayed 2 bottles first coat and then cleaned gun. By the time I was done cleaning I was ready for second coat. Prob took me an hour total in the temps I was spraying in.
Prep is everything, just like in paint.
You will do fine
Chuck

kylakekevin

Bronco Guru
I wiped everything down with denatured alcohol before I sprayed it. used it to clean the gun also. It took me about 30 min to spray inside and out, cleaned the gun up then waited 20 min and started spraying again. Humidity and temp will make a difference in cure time though.