• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Raptors EFI problems part Duece

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
MMMK so my last H ballancer was junk, swapped in a new one, hit up the marks and put a light on it. Spout unplugged at 10*BTDC it won't run at all, wtf? Still dealing with the same motor, 95 cobra 5.0

If I advance the crap out of it, it will run.

All the same old smog codes.

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
How far do you have to advance it for it to run?

The only thing that really makes sense at that point is if the timing marks on the balancer aren't in the right spot for the timing pointer on your cover.

I know that most of the aftermarket balancers come with 3 different timing marks on them because of the the 3 different timing pointer locations.

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Nothing makes it run right, I've had it. I'm considering getting a new distributor and TFI tomorrow. the ballancers looked pretty identical.

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
So it still doesn't run good with a bunch of advance?

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
I can't get anything consistent from it. It will run Ok, then I plug in the spout and it dies. After that I unplug the spout and it won't run at all. Just fires up for 5 secs and dies.

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
it's about 30* advanced right now, it's running OK. I f I plug the spout jumper in it won't run. Just fires up then dies.

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
I ordered a new dizzy that will be in next week. I'll see if I can find a TFI, Napa couldn't find one.

u10072

Bronco Guru
Very good chance the dizzy is bad-- my first SEFI swap had a bad dizzy especially with the spout put back in. If your napa can't find a TFI module they are idiots--even autozone guys know what those are

WARDOG

Loc.
Graniteville, CA
MMMK so my last H ballancer was junk, swapped in a new one, hit up the marks and put a light on it.

If you still have the old H Balancer, compare the keyway to the one you just put in. Same location?

Does your Cobra motor have a crankshaft position sensor (CPS)?
Sometimes the CPS will be on the Crank Pulley, which you had to remove to replace the balancer. If you replaced the crank pulley differently and the sensor is on it, it can cause it to not start or die immediately after starting. The crank sensor is talking to the cam sensor to agree on timing.

One of many issues when installing a EFI engine and not using all of the sensors.

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
No crank sensor, the dizzy does that on 94-95. The issue is that the timing marks seem to line up with what is TDC.

WARDOG

Loc.
Graniteville, CA
If you still have the old H Balancer, compare the keyway to the one you just put in. Same location in relation to the timing TDC / marks?

It seems like there just can't be anything other than the TDC / timing markings are different between the old balancer and the new.
If it ran before with the old balancer, and nothing was touched other than replacing the balancer, the solution, it would seem, would have to be with the TDC /timing marks on the new balancer are different, requiring you move the timing pointer.
I realize I am only stating the obvious. You look like you have been around the block a few times.
Maybe pull the plugs and test to see if TDC on #1 is indicated on your existing timing pointer.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2351267#post2351267

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
It seems like there just can't be anything other than the TDC / timing markings are different between the old balancer and the new.
If it ran before with the old balancer, and nothing was touched other than replacing the balancer, the solution, it would seem, would have to be with the TDC /timing marks on the new balancer are different, requiring you move the timing pointer.
I realize I am only stating the obvious. You look like you have been around the block a few times.
Maybe pull the plugs and test to see if TDC on #1 is indicated on your existing timing pointer.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2351267#post2351267

The old balancer did the same thing, I replaced it because it wobbled on it's axis. The last thing that was not new was the TFI module but this is just too bizarre. I also lined up the engine on TDC and stabbed a MSD dizzy and ran the same motor on a carb no problem. Tonight it did something really weird though. With the dizzy in the "correct" location it ran briefly but it sounded like a steam engine.

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Damn brother, I think it's time to throw it on the back of that Dodge and head for Denver!

You get a chance to try a different TFI yet?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I kinda hate to bring this up but it seems you had very similar issues when you ran a carb with this engine. Do you have any background info on the engine? like mileage, mod's ect. I seemed to recall you had ok compression numbers but its been awhile. I have a feeling you have a issue elsewhere with this engine like maybe a timing chain/camshaft issue.

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
I kinda hate to bring this up but it seems you had very similar issues when you ran a carb with this engine. Do you have any background info on the engine? like mileage, mod's ect. I seemed to recall you had ok compression numbers but its been awhile. I have a feeling you have a issue elsewhere with this engine like maybe a timing chain/camshaft issue.

That was a faulty distributor, I put MSD on there and it was good.

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
I just have a hard time believing that the sweet spot for timing is so small I can't get to it by starting retarded and advancing/checking/advancing/checking until it want to run well.

There is a lot that needs to happen in order to get fire like stator and such so I know I am not missing something. It's just bizarre. If I was one off on the wires it wouldn't even run. last thing I have to try is the TFI. I know everyone is about to throw up in their mouths but there is a carb intake on it's way here. It has been almost 6 months and to be honest I'm starting to loath the rig that I used to love. If nothing else it will run an Autolite 2100 until I can get a 4bta for it.

It seems like such a waste after all the hard work and money, especially the awesome harness made by Gary. However turning the key to see if it is fixed has become something I dread. So many people have helped it's been awesome and I am extremely thankful. All the parts I bought and paid for will be sold and all parts I was gifted will be passed on to someone who is in need.

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
The cam timing thing does sort of make sense. If it jumped a tooth I could see the spark advance window that it would run at being very small.

A standard carb distributor doesn't throw spark around at idle like EFI does with the spout in. I see stock tunes throwing up to 35* at idle. Might explain why you can get it to run until you put the spout in.

Of course it's a lot of work to check, but you do have the tools handy. I'd give it a nice double roller set while I was in there.

I'm not really sure what else I can do to help, but if you think of something just give me a ring. If you do end up tossing a carb back on, you're welcome to send me the PCM, harness, dizzy, and sensors. I can toss it on the stang one weekend to see if I have the same problem as you and troubleshoot it if I do. Just a thought.