• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Raptors EFI problems part Duece

u10072

Bronco Guru
Make a list of possible issues and go down that list-- it's either stupid simple or you've got some sort of actual large mechanical issue. There can be something to be said for a second set of eyes on the truck. Go get a schematic and go wire by wire as well-- even the best wiring harness builder can make a simple mistake. Be methodical and it will come to you.

WARDOG

Loc.
Graniteville, CA
ALSO: It can ALWAYS be more than one problem occurring at the same time giving the illusion it is something else.
Just makes it take longer to discover.

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
ALSO: It can ALWAYS be more than one problem occurring at the same time giving the illusion it is something else.
Just makes it take longer to discover.

I think this may be it. Also thinking about the cam. This motor was purchased from a wrecked car for practically nothing, I just decided to put efi on it because it came with the motor. I think something is a miss in the motor because it runs pretty good on a carb and the efi is just a no go with no explanation. Regardless this motor was just supposed to be a gap filler and thats about it. I'll run the 2 barrel on it until I get something that has a turbo and blows black smoke. On the other hand someone is going to get a killer deal on a complete efi system.

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
I just have a hard time believing that the sweet spot for timing is so small I can't get to it by starting retarded and advancing/checking/advancing/checking until it want to run well.

It has to be a combination of issues because the timing sweet spot is not that small. The computer can compensate for bad timing, to a point.

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
It has to be a combination of issues because the timing sweet spot is not that small. The computer can compensate for bad timing, to a point.

That was my assessment after throwing money at it and losing my sanity. There has to be multiple small problems that allow it to run on carb with MSD 6al and not a TFI setup. Like I said it was a failure and I lost a lot of seat time in my rig but the amount I learned was amazing and that is thanks to all of the great members here and on Pirate.

u10072

Bronco Guru
EFI won't run badly vs a carb-- there is something off and it's not the motor if it runs good with a carb and 6al