• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear axle seal

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Just thought I would offer a little info to those having problems with your axle seals leaking because the surface on your axles are rough or grooved out from the years of use. I just went through this after rebuilding my entire Bronco. Drove it a bit and the right real axle seal was leaking. It had all new parts in it as I rebuilt the complete rear end including clutches and gears with all new seals and bearings. Pulled it apart and the seal was riding on the old area that had been worn down a bit. I have a friend that has a hydraulic shop and asked him if he had a double lip seal. He didn't have one in stock but got his book and found one that was thinner and had a double lip seal. I set the seal in the same depth as the original thicker one and that allowed the seal lip to ride on the nice machined finish. The number/size of the seal is OS-1.37x2.37x0.31TB. It was a lot easier than installing a sleeve and was a pretty cheap fix. Hope this helps someone in the future. Ken

Attachments

• axle seal1.jpg
    axle seal1.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 79
  • axle seal2.jpg
    axle seal2.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 78
  • axle seal3.jpg
    axle seal3.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 82

Allen_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sugar Grove Pa
Good timing. I just pulled my axles last night to replace the bearings. I'll look over the axle tonight. Was this the stock Limited slip you rebuilt? was debating doing something with mine since it's out.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Speedi sleaves are a great option too, always amazing to me how rubber can wear down steel

OP
OP
bronkenn

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Yes it was the stock limited slip. It was a 3.50 LS and I replaced it with a 4.10 thick gear and new clutches. It is working good. These are a lot easier than installing sleeves plus they are a double lip seal so better leak prevention.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Double seal will always be better very cool

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Very cool that you posted the info up. Knowing that you have options helps for making decisions.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I remember there was a different seal depending on the bearing size. Just looked it up, 2 different part numbers.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Correct. Only small and large seals. A "medium duty" bearing setup is just a hybrid of standard stuff, where the unit is equipped with the large bearing and seal, but still utilizes the small brakes.

Paul