• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear Shock Mount - Inboard->Outboard?

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
When I built the frame I switched the rear shocks to the WH inboard shock mounts. Unfortunately my exhaust guy didn't build the exhaust for flex and it crushed the right rear shock under full flex. To mostly clear the exhaust I have to run in the innermost holes which means I have a LOT of body roll in the rear (much more than the front). I had an exhaust shop look at modifying the exhaust and they didn't see a way to clear the shocks without starting from scratch and using smaller tubing.

SO, of my options which seems to solve most of the issues...thoughts? Looking for ideas...

• Rebuild entire exhaust system with smaller tubing.
  • Switch shock mounts back to stock (chop, cut, weld!)
  • Chop the exhaust so it dumps before the rear axle and shocks.
  • Something else?

Amac70

ME
my opinion is inboard shock hoops do nothing, I could not tell the difference between running them then taking the shocks off and running with out shocks(ripped off a mount in moab so took shocks off). my vote would be to outboard them with one of the many options available. Gain some ride quality and not loose any flex.

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
Are you running leaf springs in the rear or switched to 3 or 4 link coils? I'm surprised you would have so much body roll with leaf springs, especially to say it's more than the coil front (which we all know is very slinky). I agree with Amac70, with leaf springs the rear shocks aren't as critical for managing body roll and therefore use whatever works best for your setup (sounds like stock location mounts).

OP
OP
Hozr

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
Forgot to mention I still have all the stock shock mounts in a box

3.5" lift leaf springs

Last edited:

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Shocks are far more effective mounted near the axle housing ends, and as close to vertical as you can get. Any angle decreases their dampening.
When I was building my Bronco I got a screaming deal on an inboard hoop. I welded it in place and started measuring for shocks and quickly realized how limiting they would be for exhaust routing and such. Started researching shock mount options and talking to some experts. I left the hoop in but went with the Wild Horses shock jock.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I just finished installing some Explorer brakes on the rear and with the calipers to the rear of the housing, the shocks needed relocating. I debated, just like you, whether to go inboard or in front of the rear axle. I finally decided to just put them in front of the rear axle. Made my own upper mounts to take advantage of the 2" body lift.

OP
OP
Hozr

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
I was thinking about moving them to the front of the axle as well. I agree with the inboard mounts feeling like there isn't much in the way of damping, they are just....squishy. It's like they aren't even there.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Steve, ya got any pics of the upper mounts and where you located it?
Not the best pics. Just what I have on my phone, but it gets you the idea.

I wanted the shock mount bolt to be parallel to the frame. I welded a top and back onto the shock mount after the bench pics.

I'm waiting for the shocks to be delivered...

Attachments

• 182.jpg
    182.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 183.jpg
    183.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 218.jpg
    218.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 152
  • 227.jpg
    227.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 129

wgamble

Loc.
Bossier City
What about using 79 F250 front shock mounts and welding your shock tabs on top of the axle tube? On TJs there is very little room so most guys will cut into the frame and then plate and reinforce from the top and back and allow you to run the shock where the frame use to be. You will get great flex like this and the shock will not be in the way.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
If they have to mounted at an angle it is best to mount them so that as the suspension compresses that angle becomes more and more vertical.

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
I have the rear long travel mounts from the Duff 3.5" Monster lift. The uppers are similar to the WH Shock Jock and kinda the same idea as what Steve built. I'm running dual shocks but considering trying singles after I get it running again. They allow for plenty of flex when set up right and feels very comfortable when driving in the curves.

patrickk1

Loc.
Cambridge
Shock angle should be kept into consideration when selecting valveing. The more a shock is angled from vertical, the less effective the valveing is.

shock-genius-1.gif

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
I don't know if it's an option for you but I ran mine through the slider. The shocks definitely don't do a hell of a lot for body roll but it does make for a real smooth ride.

Jim W.

Attachments

• DSC00368.jpg
    DSC00368.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 92

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Not the best pics. Just what I have on my phone, but it gets you the idea.

I wanted the shock mount bolt to be parallel to the frame. I welded a top and back onto the shock mount after the bench pics.

I'm waiting for the shocks to be delivered...

Good looking mounts, though I would probably want a bar from one side to the other, crossing the A, to increase rigidity.

OP
OP
Hozr

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
Well that went South - FAST! The shock completely gave it up yesterday on the freeway and the right rear bottomed out. Tire on fender/flare at 60mph is fun!

Good news is Amazon had the shock 20 minutes from me with Sunday delivery available!

Bad News they lost the F'ing package and now it says Tuesday...grrrrrr....

I'm going to go play with shock mounts now.