• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rebuild or not to Rebuild Steering box

gityup68

Loc.
Western Mass
Happy New Year everyone, I have put away my 68 for the winter all warm from the N.E cold and salt. I am thinking about removing the steering box it has a lot of play and PO was a beach dude. I have all kinds of steering issues on the open road have replaced the majority of the front end suspension and lowered the trac bar and pitman. With the exception of replacing the C bushing which I will be doing soon, not much else I can think of. I am looking for suggestions on rebuilding the org. steering box or anyones strong ideas on alternate box that works better. Gityup68. GO PATS!

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
Madgyver said:
There's a guy in Texas that will rebuilt it for $100. I think it was West Texas offroad. Correct me if i'm wrong.

I talked to them yesterday about the same thing. They quoted me $118 for a regular rebuild with about a 3-4 day turnaround time. However, if the PS box needs any other "hard parts" outside of a regular rebuild, then there would be extra charges. Then of course you have to pay for shipping if you can't get it there on your own. Lucky for me San Angelo, Texas is only a couple hours from me. :)

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
In my experience even with the shiping from CA you are going to be hard pressed to get your box rebuilt for any less$ and their quality is top notch. If you should need replacement parts they are also the cheapest around for the parts. Want to change steering ratios? they have thoes parts too.

I even paved the road for them to screw me and sell me a new sector (the first shop I went to told me I needed) They checked and double checked the internal parts because I told them the other shop said they needed replacing and they said everything was fine, just needed a basic rebuild.

Been running it a few months now and it works flawlessly!

West Texas Off Road, the king of P/S in my opinion!

BTW I seriously doubt that ANY other power steering solution that you will find will be less expensive or as easy to do then just simly rebuilding your current unit!

tbrend

Loc.
God's Country (Iowa)
gityup68 said:
Happy New Year everyone, I have put away my 68 for the winter all warm from the N.E cold and salt. I am thinking about removing the steering box it has a lot of play and PO was a beach dude. I have all kinds of steering issues on the open road have replaced the majority of the front end suspension and lowered the trac bar and pitman. With the exception of replacing the C bushing which I will be doing soon, not much else I can think of. I am looking for suggestions on rebuilding the org. steering box or anyones strong ideas on alternate box that works better. Gityup68. GO PATS!

I am having the same issue with my '74. I have replaced pretty much the entire front and still have a little play. I just replaced the bushings up there and that solved the wondering issue.

Has anyone with the "play in the steering wheel" tried to replace the U-joint on the lower steering shaft? I have a mechanic buddy that has a '77. He had some play, replaced the joint and that took care of it. I am wondering if that could take care of some of the problem?

Thanks

fire bronc

Loc.
iowa
Box!!!!

Just Cot My Box Back From West Texas Offroad,ship To Them Was 25.00,total Rebuild 115.00,ship Back To Me 20.00 For A Total Of 160.00 And They Did An Exellant Job And Where Very Helpful,great Service.

OP
OP
gityup68

gityup68

Loc.
Western Mass
Sounds like Texas it is.

All my ex's live in Texas and I like it that way. Do these guys have a website? I think you are all on the money this seems the way to go. I have contacted several of the Bronco vendors and they are all telling me $300 plus. As for front end bushings what do you think are the key ones to replace? I have a new adj. trac bar, and it had new bushings, I have not put on the 7degree C-bushings yet that go with 3 1/2 lift. I am running 33" good rubber, am think about new shocks. Seems everyone likes the Bilstens. Do you have any idea what lentgh I would need with 3 1/2 lift? Thanks for your input. ;D

OP
OP
gityup68

gityup68

Loc.
Western Mass
Website address

Mustang, I see you included it. Did not see it at first thanks. I will contact them Monday.

tbrend

Loc.
God's Country (Iowa)
gityup68 said:
As for front end bushings what do you think are the key ones to replace? I have a new adj. trac bar, and it had new bushings, I have not put on the 7degree C-bushings yet that go with 3 1/2 lift. I am running 33" good rubber, am think about new shocks. Seems everyone likes the Bilstens. Do you have any idea what lentgh I would need with 3 1/2 lift? Thanks for your input. ;D

I replaced the radius arm, trac bar and C bushings.
I put the trac bar ones on first, because they were the easiest. They didn't make a whole lot of difference. The radius arms and C bushings made all the difference in the world. I can actually let go of the wheel going down the road and not end up in the ditch.
I don't know about the shocks, I am running without a lift. I would think someone with a lift could chime in on it.

JTCamp

Loc.
Austin, Texas
Same story here. I replaced or rebuilt everything and it really made a difference. I'm talking about box rebuild, bushings, ball joints, and steering ends. ALSO don't overlook the rag joint...that can make a lot of difference.

John

p.s--i did the west texas rebuild about 2 years ago when there wasn't much talk about them. i can't tell you how well works and also how so many others from this website have used them w/ success. might also talk to them about shorting the ratio to 3.25:1, makes the truck more nimble.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
tbrend said:
Is there a sure fire way to determine if the box need rebuilt?
How can you tell if it need it?

Mine was leaking. West Texas Offroad was quick and professional. Drives very nice...nicer than ever infact. Is yours doing something weird?

jdowns'71

Loc.
Eastern North Caroli
Try rebuilding the power steering box yourself. I did it and it's really not that hard. I used to have all of the "typical" steering problems. It was so bad, on certain roads I was scared to drive it. I replaced the tie rod/drag link with a stonecrusher/bullet proof steering setup that I made myself, replaced the steering shaft joint with borgeson joints, Got rid of the manual steering and went with the F-150 4x4x2 setup, installed 7deg c-bushings, replaced trac bar bushings, and installed a duffs trac-bar drop down bracket. Now I can literally go down the road at 70mph with my hands off the wheel if I want. It is just as tight as my '03 F-150. The two biggest improvements were getting rid of the manual steering and the 7deg bushings. Hope this helps.