• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Red Label 68 4.6 Terminator Powered Bronco

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Houseofdiesel,

Just finished going through the build! Amazing work. :eek:

You definitely think outside the box and I personally think that is awesome. Doing what you have done with that Bronco is no small task and everything looks well thought out and built to do its intended job. Hopefully all will work as intended once you get a chance to really test things on the road and trail.

Lastly, glad to hear that things have worked out for the best with you and your wife.

Keep it up and can't wait to see this finished. :cool:

mavereq

Bronco Guru
That's funny someone called me a mad scientist yesterday on the Miata board. It sucks being behind a computer most of the day. All I do is sit and dream this crap up between reading any auto magazine I can get my hands on and pushing numbers all day. Used to be I'd come up with half my ideas driving around from job to job all day. Sometimes I wish the voices would just stop. haha Nah, honestly when I was in high school and bought my first truck, a '94 F250 with a 351W I grew to hate the masses. Majority of people went down and bought a lifted Z71 off the lot and had all the modifications they could ever want available for their Chevy's. I despised that and for a while was down right jealous. Then as time passed I realized that the Ford was ten times what those Chevy's could ever be. From then on I got the itch and started figuring out how to get what I couldn't have. I found a little known company named Kenne Bell that made Supercharges for Ford apps. I threw that bad boy on and kicked the living crap out of every Chevy I saw. I beat the piss out of that poor truck. When I finally killed it in '99 (blown motor), I bought a '96 diesel F350 and stuffed 37"s on it with a leveling kit. Then the diesel addiction started. From that base I've always wanted what no one else has and if someone says that won't fit, work, or can't, I say oh ya watch me.

Ya i've got the 60s. Both Stiegemeier and American Muscle said the 80s are just too much unless you go up to the Kenne Bell or twins.

And thanks guys for all the support. I'm more excited than you guys.

i've got the 324" with the 3.4l whipple on the drag car. it's painted and just waiting for me to plumb and wire it.

OP
OP
houseofdiesel

houseofdiesel

So almost ready for for a trip to wiring. I threw in two vertical V's one in front and one in the rear. Not sure if I'm sold on the rear one yet, I might take it out and do something different. There is about 4"s behind the rear passenger's head. It's the whole reason I was reluctant to put one in the rear in the first place but it has to have one. I'll have pics this weekend of the bars that attach the sliders, frame, and cage. It was nice to get the hood back down and take a look at it as a roller. The rear will drop quite a bit more once the rear tire carrier, spare and top are on, since that's over 500 Lbs more weight going in the rear.

MiataRedLabel1511006.jpg

MiataRedLabel1511007.jpg

MiataRedLabel1511003.jpg

MiataRedLabel1511001.jpg

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Wow - I think thats what my red Bronco wants to be when it grows up. Got any more pics of the front bumper?

OP
OP
houseofdiesel

houseofdiesel

Well welded the slider bars in and took her out to see the light of day and load her up to go over to wiring. Flexed her out a bit just to kinda see how things looked. I need to move the brake booster over a little tighter to the drivers fender and might have to bucket the frame a little to clear the coils. Only flexed it to this point because I haven't cut the rear fenders yet and it was already contacting them. Like I said the rear has a lot more weight to still be added so it'll sit a lot lower in the rear. The front shocks were empty and the rears were loaded to 100 PSI or so I don't remember exactly. When I get her back I'll be adding the B pillar X, attaching the slider bars to the 4 underside cage plates, and the other things listed earlier.

RedLabel1911002.jpg

RedLabel1911006.jpg

RedLabel1911005.jpg

RedLabel1911010.jpg

RedLabel1911011.jpg

RedLabel1911013.jpg

RedLabel1911008.jpg

RedLabel1911014.jpg

barronj

Bronco Guru
I like how the cage is dead-level with the windshield frame. 'Crew cut' came to mind. Designing a bikini to go over the cage will take some additional fabrication, but that's your niche. Awesome.

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
I am not sure if you thought about this....I really don't think that the ranch hand mount is going to hold a spare of that size.... :)

Really nice build, I am jealous of your garage, I thought you were working in some remote shop somewhere!
Dennis

OP
OP
houseofdiesel

houseofdiesel

I like how the cage is dead-level with the windshield frame. 'Crew cut' came to mind. Designing a bikini to go over the cage will take some additional fabrication, but that's your niche. Awesome.

Actually should be kinda easy. I already had the bikini from the original cage. I can use the original slide and there are two or three shops here in San Martin Morgan Hill that make them.

I am not sure if you thought about this....I really don't think that the ranch hand mount is going to hold a spare of that size.... :)

Really nice build, I am jealous of your garage, I thought you were working in some remote shop somewhere!
Dennis

I'm going to figure out some way to support it more. For one the bumper will tie into the fender tubes and the underside of the rear roll cage plates. That's 4 extra attachments. If it needs more at the frame I'll make some side plates.

The garage was originally intended to be just a garage to store my toys and do light maintenance and mods. But once I shut the Redding shop down in 2008 I had to fit as much as I could in. It's nice being able to work at home but I'd like to have another full shop someday so I can keep more own garage for just storage. At the House of Diesel shop in San Jose we mainly do repair, maintenance, and diesel performance. It's not a full fab shop and needs all it's room for the big trucks since we do everything from Kenworth down to basic work trucks.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Truck looks awesome! Nice work on everything. Sure gonna turn some heads when out on the road. ;D

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Funny you mentioned the contact with the body, that's been my question all along since you put those massive tires on her. I was expecting a huge lift. Looks like you're going to have to cut it all the way to the the top to get the maximum flex that it can surely obtain... As always, good work!

OP
OP
houseofdiesel

houseofdiesel

Funny you mentioned the contact with the body, that's been my question all along since you put those massive tires on her. I was expecting a huge lift. Looks like you're going to have to cut it all the way to the the top to get the maximum flex that it can surely obtain... As always, good work!

Not really. The front is cut as high as it'll go. It's set up with only a couple of inches of up travel. And if the tires slightly contact the tube I weld into the fenders it won't mess up the body and a little tire rub on tube will never hurt. The hole tube idea is something I've never really seen on a Bronco before. Looking at it it's going to be a little tricky since the Bronco fenders are not flat like a Jeep. The idea is to give them strength so I can build steel flares once I get my first fix it ticket.

Thanks for the support, helps keep me motivated.

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
It's awesome that you're keeping it streetworthy with a build of this magnitude. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the tube fenders.

I think it would be really cool to run tube along the fender line about 5" out from the body from bumper to slider then tie the tubes in across or in front of the hood for strength. Then run some sheet metal or plastic on the inside of the tube to bridge the gap to the body.

814791832_4o2v6-M.jpg