• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removed residual pressure valve now peddle goes to the floor

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
They are better now but still a lil more spongee then I would like.

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Two things come to mind.

With RPV removed, could you be experiencing excess travel since cylinders are no longer retaining any pressure?

Try waiting 24hrs to bleed again. Could have minute air bubbles suspended in fluid; typical of rigorous pumping.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What started you on the bleeding process half cab? Did you replace some components? Add something new? Did it start getting soft all on it's own?

Paul

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Just sorta gotten less pedal over the last six months or so and what about my booster ? Its getting quite some age on it.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Re'bled them and getting much better. thanks chuzie n Paul for your help.

I used to know a quick way to tell if the booster was any good or not n it was something to do with holding the brake pedal? and starting or killing the engine?

brain fade...older n cannot remember!:(

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Ur correct. Hold pedal, start engine. Pedal should travel further. Continue holding pedal and kill engine. Pedal should rise slightly.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ur correct. Hold pedal, start engine. Pedal should travel further. Continue holding pedal and kill engine. Pedal should rise slightly.

The booster should hold vacuum for at least a 30-60 seconds after the engine has shut off, and many will hold vacuum for significantly longer, so the pedal may not rise immediately upon killing the engine. If the pedal does rise immediately, then you most likely have a vacuum bleed-off issue and need at least a new vacuum check valve on the inlet line if not a new booster.

Last edited:

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
Hey Halfcab, if you have drum brakes in the rear you may want to adjust the rear shoes. Normal wear will cause the pedel to get lower over time. The self adjusters never really work well and are usually rusted up.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Yea it's got rear drummers n will be doin that next as I haven't adjusted them in about 5 yrs.

Thanks for reminding me;)