• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing stock fuse box

Tacheometer

What have you done/used to replace the stock fuse box?

If you have photos and where you purchased the product I would appreciate it.

Thank you in advance for your time/help,

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good question to bring up. We've talked about it before, with a few successful projects completed. Maybe even some pics!
Although, back in the day, that was not always the case for seeing pics of the completed project. Just the assertion that it was done!
Anyway, never done just a new fuse panel without new harness myself, so can't help. But I'm sure someone will remember.

Are you just looking to upgrade to more fuses? More modern style of fuse? Or is your existing panel toast (in a rusty sort of way) already and in need of getting rid of?
All of those are common scenarios, with the rusty and crusty old panel one of the more common ones!

Good luck.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
So many wiring kits that have new fuse blocks. Where to go with this?
For starters, did you know there were 2 different stock locations for fuse blocks? Early had the fuse block on the fire wall roughly above the gas pedal. Later it moved into the glove box. The firewall version was known for having moisture issues from engine compartment. The glove box location had issues with metal junk sliding around and getting into the contacts. They were all glass style fuses.

Now going aftermarket. No "just a fuse block" quick fix. While you could get a generic fuse block and splice a bunch of wires, that won't really be fixing the problem. Just kicking the can down the road a little further. Now full rewire kits. Countless exist. So often it depends on what you are trying to do. From a universal hot rod kit to Bronco specific kits. The hot flavor of the day is typically which one was just installed or maybe was just on sale. Some shops will only do one kit, because that is the kit they know and would have to learn a different kit. Kits may not have any switches or sockets, some, or (nearly?)all. Might be Bronco specific switches, or generic. And the fuse block can go anywhere.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Only real option is if you replace entire wiring harness with it. If not, then why change fuse box?

serial car restorer

Contributor
Loc.
Western Oregon
New wiring is on the list for my '69. I'm familiar with AAW from a previous Chevy project, and their Chevy stuff is awesome. But I don't get a good feel about that being true for their Bronco kit. How is the Painless Bronco kit?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Several members here have installed the AAW Bronco harness and like them.
I’m kind of a Painless guy myself, but wouldn’t mind trying an AAW kit sometime too.
Just to see the strengths and weaknesses for myself.