• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Reputable Dealer in the Southern Cali area

mhutch1224

I'm looking to purchase a bronco 69-74. Found one at Rocky Roads in Chatsworth, but, seeing some questionable posts about their reputation. Any recent experiences with them, good or bad? Also, any dealers for restored Broncos in the SoCal area that you would recommend?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Overpriced, poorly built, lots of bad experiences here on the board. A while back there was a former employee who posted on here about the stunts they tried to pull.

OP
OP
M

mhutch1224

Recommendations...

So, if I'm ready to buy a fully restored EB in the SoCal area, where do you guys suggest I look? Sorry if I sound uninformed, but, I am new to the whole EB experience. What about West Coast Broncos or Beach City Broncos? They are ones that I have read about on here. If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I'm looking to purchase a bronco 69-74. Found one at Rocky Roads in Chatsworth, but, seeing some questionable posts about their reputation. Any recent experiences with them, good or bad? Also, any dealers for restored Broncos in the SoCal area that you would recommend?

So, if I'm ready to buy a fully restored EB in the SoCal area, where do you guys suggest I look? Sorry if I sound uninformed, but, I am new to the whole EB experience. What about West Coast Broncos or Beach City Broncos? They are ones that I have read about on here. If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I'll appologize in advance if I sound a little harsh, but, it is what it is...

So, you're talking about dropping $30-40K, or more, on a "restored" Bronco and you want to limit yourself to Southern California??? I don't get it! Is this one of those instant gratification things? You want to go out tomorrow, buy a cute Bronco and drive it home?

A huge percentage of people selling "restored" classic vehicles are trying to screw people over. Yes there are reputable shops turning out quality work and vehicles. Also there are a lot of talented individuals doing a lot of great work, and may complete one vehicle every couple years. But there not all in SoCal. For this kind of investment and commitment, shouldn't you be willing to open your search area, and plan on an airplane ticket if necessary, to buy a known quality vehicle?

Also, have you considered buying a Bronco project, and having a shop do the restoration to your specifications? Again, there's lots of shops doing a lot of quality work. And this gives you a chance to see first-hand some of the shops work, and do some investigation into the shops reputation.

All it takes is an investment of a little time.

70 Steed

I agree that you should expand you search area and maybe have one built to your specs. I would talk to Driven 4X4 in Phoenix.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
There is a dealership in carson that sells vintage vehicles. no sure of the addy but they are accross the street from the kia dealer. Like said above you're probably better off on here, craigslist or ebay

BRONCOchild

Bronco Guru
I've found a correlation between first posts and Rocky Roads many times on here. Then, the poster doesn't post anymore.

Just my observation about Rocky Road posts, rants, questions, etc, etc!

ganktime

Loc.
Seattle, WA
You should consider having a third party inspect whatever you buy if you are not a expert on what you are buying. Even reputable sellers can sell shoddy rigs occasionally or have an employee who misses something.

OP
OP
M

mhutch1224

Thanks

Thanks for all of the advice. 70_Steve I don't think you're being harsh, but, yes, I have the $$ to purchase one fully restored. I'm looking at SoCal area because it's where I am and I would like to have it by mid June. I was ready to purchase the one from RR until I did some research and found not favorable things here on this forum. I'm open to buying elsewhere and having the car shipped to me. Thanks again for all of the advice.

tw322

Having looked for months and months for one, I found one here in So Cal that was in good shape but still needed a lot done (and still does) to get it where I want it to be. 70 Steve is pretty much spot on and I certainly would not limit yourself to only So Cal. You will actually probably get more for your money not buying from here since everything here is more. However, sometimes money is no object for people and if that's the case then maybe you want to go visit ICON. Either way, good luck and look forward to seeing pics of what you get. Definitely good that you are on here doing your homework before purchasing.

Mobious

Loc.
El Segundo
Thanks for all of the advice. 70_Steve I don't think you're being harsh, but, yes, I have the $$ to purchase one fully restored. I'm looking at SoCal area because it's where I am and I would like to have it by mid June. I was ready to purchase the one from RR until I did some research and found not favorable things here on this forum. I'm open to buying elsewhere and having the car shipped to me. Thanks again for all of the advice.

Consider visiting the guys over at ASC in Venice. They usually have a couple EBs for sale and also do restorations. If you find one that is a little rough you can work with them to rebuild it to your tastes. They are doing an EFI and transmission swap for me right now. They have some pretty cool projects underway.

Cobra11

Contributor
Loc.
West Hollywood, CA
run from rocky roads...quickly! if you have the $ and want a modernized finished project thats still an early bronco check out icon. bare in mind that your looking at 150+k.

Chicago71Bronco

Loc.
Chicagoland
I always look at cars.com to get an idea of what's out there (plus I have the app on my phone and it's a good way to pass time in traffic).

Anyway I always notice that there's broncos being sold in Anaheim by a dealer called DC Motors. I don't know anything about them but it might be worth checking put if you're close.

Here's what pops up

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369399635.667545.jpg

70 Steed

You should consider having a third party inspect whatever you buy if you are not a expert on what you are buying. Even reputable sellers can sell shoddy rigs occasionally or have an employee who misses something.

X2 You could probably get one of the knowledgable folks here to inspect a Bronco with you. If your not very experienced with Broncos it could save you thousands. The worst thing is to pay top dollar and then find out it needs more work.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Couldn't agree more with the getting inspection help. Once you narrow down your search, I bet there are plenty of members here that would pop over and help you run through a rig or two.
Friend of mine is well paid to go look at Corvettes around the country for folks looking to invest. The way things are going, it seemingly won't be long before Broncos are in the same category. But with even more need for protection against sellers with no concept of the concept of "rust free"!!!

Right now you're in a rapidly growing group that has the money, and is willing to spend it on a partially or fully restored Bronco. However, as is the case with many types of semi-custom products, even the highest prices don't always reflect the quality. As the others have said.
The shop in OR that's asking $40k to $45k for theirs is a good example.
And you're trying to accomplish this while avoiding the growing group that are just cashing in on their little investment, to take advantage of the current trend.

Anyway, you're probably already aware of all that and I'm just preaching to the choir. There's a good example right here in CHAT today, not of the "paying too much" category necessarily, but of the "you have no idea what you're getting yourself into" category. ;D
It's a gorgeous rig for sure. But read down to see what he found under the bedliner material.
In fact, that's probably a good lesson right there. Even in SoCal, if you see bedliner, run away! Unless you're sure you've determined that there's nothing hidden underneath.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224948

Hmm, side-scanning sonar/radar might be a handy tool when searching for a good EB!
So even in generally rust-free CA, Broncos rust. So keep a wary eye open for the little details and problem areas (which is probably what brought you here in the first place I"m guessing?) and look at them all.
In spite of their previous reputation too, I would even look to see what Rocky Roads has to offer, along with the other places mentioned. With any out there having the possibility of being a money pit, and still others having the chance of being the diamond we all hope for, I'd look at them all. Too many snagging the first one they come across and getting royally screwed, so don't limit yourself.
With the right eye for detail, it's pretty easy to discover hidden gems in Broncos.

And since from what you and others have said, it looks like you could find quite a few to check out right now in the major LA area, you could spend a day and a half just on the ones currently listed.
I'm just still being a Negative Nelly because my attitude is that they're not worth what they're being advertised for (maybe because I can't afford one and it's jealousy rearing it's ugly head), and because so many seemingly nice rigs are still in such rough shape that the new owners are getting stuck with full-blown project trucks instead of the Daily Driver they were hoping their families could enjoy.
So part sour grapes, part anger at people being taken advantage of. :cry:

Good luck for sure. Hope you find the diamond that's not still in the rough.

After all that, I will say this though. Concentrate more on private parties rather than people in it to make money on the work they've done. Unless you can get some kind of wickedly good warranty, someone who did it for themselves and is now just having to sell their rig is probably the better deal.

Paul

Last edited: