• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ripped off

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
The PayPal friends & family gets to be ridiculous at times......Looking to buy a Tacoma part on Tacomaworld. The seller says $95 shipped to me F & F. He would be saving a WHOPPING $2.61!!!! If I decide to buy it, I will offer him $100 as Goods & Services or whatever it is called.

I think these people really don't think things out wanting F & F for what the savings really amounts to versus the protection afforded by not going that route.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
The PayPal friends & family gets to be ridiculous at times......Looking to buy a Tacoma part on Tacomaworld. The seller says $95 shipped to me F & F. He would be saving a WHOPPING $2.61!!!! If I decide to buy it, I will offer him $100 as Goods & Services or whatever it is called.

I think these people really don't think things out wanting F & F for what the savings really amounts to versus the protection afforded by not going that route.

If I sell parts on craigslist, people come to my shop, pay cash, pick up the part and leave. If I sell something and have to ship it, not only do I have to find a box and take the time to pack it up and drop it off, but shipping materials cost money. If I'm using FedEx or UPS, I can't just leave it out for pickup like I can with the post office. I have to drive that package somewhere to drop it off which costs me more of my time plus at least a little gas money. So, to go to the hassle of shipping and not simply getting cash by someone picking up the part, you want me to pay paypal fees on top of that. On every single sale. Imagine how that ads up over the course of a year or ten years or more of selling Bronco parts.

I've never understood the people who regularly used ATMs that don't belong to their bank. $3 per transaction to withdraw $40. "Oh, it's just $3." Banks love people like this. Over the course of a year, they spend $150 in ATM fees. I don't know about you, but I'm not interested in spending $150 to get my hands on my own money. Nor am I interested in paying paypal fees for the privilege of using their service.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I am with Bax, even though he likes going swamp fishing;D I have never been ripped off from this site, if someone is new and looking to buy parts they could contact some of the older members, especially the ones that sell a lot of parts on here.
P.S. Jerry what ya looking for

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I've never understood the people who regularly used ATMs that don't belong to their bank. $3 per transaction to withdraw $40. "Oh, it's just $3." Banks love people like this. Over the course of a year, they spend $150 in ATM fees.

I picked a bank that refunds all ATM fees from any ATM that you use. $3 is $3 no matter what you waste it on.

Those same people that don’t care about the $3 fee will drive across the county to save $2 on a tank of gas or a six-pack. They will probably stop at an ATM on the way.

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
Justin, you misunderstood.......I would offer the guy more $ than the paypal fees.......$100 - $2.75 = $97.50 NET for him instead of $95 friends & family. He would actually make out $2.50 MORE than his offer asked for.

77BRONKOTN

Hell guys, Ive always put it out there if Im local to a part. Ill go get it for you and ship it. Why nobody has ever taken me up on this is baffling. There are more persons than myself willing to do this on here. Maybe its my staggering post count that people don't trust.

I live near Duffs, if anyone in Maryland needs free shipping this fall....

OP
OP
jerrybromley

jerrybromley

Contributor
Thanks for all the support. I know that 99% of the folks that come here to share our hobby are Great people and have helped me more than I can say. People have asked what I tried to buy. I was trying to find a steering wheel for the 76 automatic column and a bell housing for a 6 cylinder C-4

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
well I got a bell housing from my 66 170 3 spd you're welcome to it if it will work, but i'm guessing No, good luck

broncoP

Contributor
That jacksonmas sent me a pm about a part I had listed in parts wanted awhile ago. I saw the 0 posts so didn't respond, thinking maybe a scam. Next time I see something like that I'll report

OP
OP
jerrybromley

jerrybromley

Contributor
Thanks Strodeo for the offer ,but it has to be for an automatic ( a Falcon project )

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I'm a mod on another forum, those kinds of deals have really ramped up in the last few months. New member, lays low for a while, and then PM bombs the forum with PMs about some guy in another state wanting to buy what he has for sale and to email "Steve" or "Bryan" at some various email address.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
That jacksonmas sent me a pm about a part I had listed in parts wanted awhile ago. I saw the 0 posts so didn't respond, thinking maybe a scam. Next time I see something like that I'll report

won't hurt to keep folks advised

Lebe

Loc.
Phx
I'm sure you guys have experienced Craig's list scam attempts. I've advertised sets of tires and other spendy items and I'll get a usually out-of-state non-specific inquiry saying they want to purchase it and will give more than the list price plus freight with a check. After investigating I find out they'll send the money and their shipping guy will be by to pick it (?) up after I deposit the check. The scam is that the check is no good but it takes the bank 7-10 days to figure that out and the $3,000 tires have already been picked up.
I've never fallen for it but have had to tell 3 or 4 to 'Eat Sh-t. Scam somebody else'.

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
Had a Craigslist scam recently that seemed "too good to be true" AND IT WAS!!

Found a MAC rolling tool box that looked almost brand new for $600+ (forget the exact amt) that was listed only a half hour from me. I keep looking for a deal on one for my son, so I emailed the person to go look at it. A 'woman' responded that she was moving to Iowa and needed to get rid of it quickly before the move as reason it was priced so low - likely a $5,000 box or more. I emailed back in a bit trying to arrange to look at it/buy it that day. 'She' emails back that it is actually already in Iowa loaded on a shipping pallet and I can pay using some eBay service and then she will ship it to me (shipping would likely have been more than $600). Well, I have seen that scam offer many times before with vehicles, so I was ready to tell 'her' that I just fell off the turnip truck and I would send her all my financial information instead so she had access to all my $$$. Instead, I just ignored it.

I did get an email a few days later from the person who actually had the email address that was hacked saying sorry but it wasn't him. I ended up 'flagging' the ad to get it removed.