• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

route 66 the plan

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
left Flagstaff this morning and headed to Williams AZ, a real route 66 tourist town. It is suppose to be the last city that got bypassed by the interstate. went by an old gas station display, and was surprised to find a half cab. nobody around that knew anything about it. Left Williams and ran into a little rain storm, got to love those vacuum wipers at 55 mph. stopped at snow cap ice cream shop in Seligman AZ, it was pretty crowded but we found a parking spot right in front. A lot of the people were taking pictures of the roadster as we ate. I think they thought it was part of the display. Sopped for the night in Kingman AZ

Glad you found the half cab! That thing has been sitting there for years - it belongs to the guy at the converted gas station in the background in your picture but I've never talked to him about it.

There's also a gas station on the west side of town that is owned by some long time EB owners. Many years ago you would see several EBs parked there and there were a few tubs stored out back. Nowadays I think they just have one.

Would love to hear about the local in Kingman that has 40 EBs - that's a new one to me.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
Major Tom

Major Tom

Contributor
Glad you found the half cab! That thing has been sitting there for years - it belongs to the guy at the converted gas station in the background in your picture but I've never talked to him about it.

There's also a gas station on the west side of town that is owned by some long time EB owners. Many years ago you would see several EBs parked there and there were a few tubs stored out back. Nowadays I think they just have one.

Would love to hear about the local in Kingman that has 40 EBs - that's a new one to me.

Todd Z.

I asked the guy at the gas station if I could take some pictures with my bronco and his response was I don't care it's not mine

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I asked the guy at the gas station if I could take some pictures with my bronco and his response was I don't care it's not mine

Hmmmm.......that's interesting. I wonder who it belongs to then, maybe the store to the east of the parking lot.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
Major Tom

Major Tom

Contributor
Hmmmm.......that's interesting. I wonder who it belongs to then, maybe the store to the east of the parking lot.

Todd Z.

The guy that owned the restored gas station had a beautiful 50 ford that his parents bought new

elan

Loc.
s
There is another story. Last time I was in Kingman (one year ago) I was in conversation with a fellow that had a lot to say about the old Ford Proving Grounds, South West of downtown. He claimed Ford had scrapped oodles of very early Broncos on the property.
You know how that goes, stories. Like the lost Dutchman mine that, to the best of my knowledge has never been located.

The orange half cab looks to be peach

Tom..........you are a brave soul

akafrankcastle

Loc.
Kansas City
made it to Barstow CA Saturday night. drove through the desert it was 102 deg. We looked at the forecast and the miles we have traveled and decided that we have accomplished what we had set out to do, we are not going into LA at 103 deg. on the 4th of July weekend. This morning we headed back east. We went back through the desert, but started early. by the time we got to needles CA it was 108 deg. got back to Kingman AZ got a nice room with a beautiful pool. sat by the pool and enjoyed a few beers. tomorrow we are heading North, but not before I check out a story from a local. I was told there is a guy in town that has over 40 classic broncos, and he does nothing with them. I have a lead as to where they may be stored . we have logged 2,711 miles as of today. the radiator held up fine across the desert (twice). it is the stock radiator and has never been out of the truck.

You're in Kingman today? I was bummed to have gotten here just a few days after you drove through last.

I just spotted an uncut yellow truck east bound on 66 about an hour ago.

If you get two minutes, pop down to the BLM office down at Washington and Hualapai road. My traveling road show of a fire fighting crew is finishing out our last day of this roll keeping an eye out for smoke.

OP
OP
Major Tom

Major Tom

Contributor
You're in Kingman today? I was bummed to have gotten here just a few days after you drove through last.

I just spotted an uncut yellow truck east bound on 66 about an hour ago.

If you get two minutes, pop down to the BLM office down at Washington and Hualapai road. My traveling road show of a fire fighting crew is finishing out our last day of this roll keeping an eye out for smoke.

I didn't see your post until this evening, we left Kingman at about 8:30am. I did check out the mystery bronco hoard, no luck. the local told me they were owned by the guy who owns brown drilling. I found brown drilling and it had a high fence around it. I could see inside but no broncos. If he has them they are someplace else. we headed east and north and ended up in Kayenta AZ for the night, hit the 3,000 mile mark today. not sure where we are headed tomorrow.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
There is another story. Last time I was in Kingman (one year ago) I was in conversation with a fellow that had a lot to say about the old Ford Proving Grounds, South West of downtown. He claimed Ford had scrapped oodles of very early Broncos on the property.
You know how that goes, stories. Like the lost Dutchman mine that, to the best of my knowledge has never been located.

The orange half cab looks to be peach

Tom..........you are a brave soul

I wonder if they were scrapped back in the days when the Bronco was first introduced. I was there for a job interview in '92 and also back on the property for a 50th anniversary celebration in 2006 and didn't see anything "old" either time I was there.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
Major Tom

Major Tom

Contributor
Left Kayenta AZ this morning. watched a fantastic fireworks display last night at the local rodeo. Didn't do much but travel today towards home. Traveling 160 east through CO. crossed the continental divide today elevation 10,857. the little Bronco was not liking it, had to down shift a couple of times into 2nd gear to make it up the hill. Traveled about 250 miles today. Ended up in South Fork CO

Attachments

• 66-63.png
    66-63.png
    217.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 66-64.png
    66-64.png
    234.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
OP
OP
Major Tom

Major Tom

Contributor
left south fork and stopped for breakfast in Del Norte. saw a nice CB at a local repair shop. the shop owner said it was his buddies, I believe he said a 74. factory air, I sure could have used that on the trip. On down the road I found another CB in Rocky Ford CO at a local repair/car lot. nobody around to talk to. It was in ruff shape. It looks like it could be a rare Evil Knievel addition LOL. should be out of CO today and into NE

Attachments

• 66-65.jpg
    66-65.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 66-66.jpg
    66-66.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 66-67.jpg
    66-67.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 66-68.jpg
    66-68.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 65

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
We pick up a lot a good fruits and veg in Rocky Ford every summer.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
The 74 belongs to a buddy of mine that lives in Creede, 30 miles north of South Fork. It really is as nice as it looks.

It's pretty sharp, we spotted it up there a few years ago.
photobucket-6249-1350582185356.jpg

OP
OP
Major Tom

Major Tom

Contributor
On the last leg. left Brush CO this morning and made it to Valentine NE , had supper with some friends that live there. have officially logged 3,839 miles as of tonight. Should be home tomorrow, Sioux Falls, SD . 377 miles to go.
I will do a recap and final post when I get home.

Attachments

• 66-3.png
    66-3.png
    209.4 KB · Views: 19

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Kudos Tom to you and your better half! Unreal to think you drove the 6 banger roadster that many miles with near flawless cruising!! Only thing I read of concern was your oil pressure which turned out to be no big deal after all. Thanks for posting your journey! tim

OP
OP
Major Tom

Major Tom

Contributor
The journey has ended. we arrived home at about 2:30 pm Friday. I will have to say it was quite an adventure. We traveled 4,120 miles, crossed 11 states all in a 1966 Roadster. Thanks to all who followed our trip and the encouragement along the way.
A little incentive to my Bronco brothers and sisters , get them ponies on the road ,they want to run.

Attachments

• 66-69.png
    66-69.png
    288 KB · Views: 81