• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

route 66 the plan

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Better watch out for them fry cooks Tom, that one's got eyes for the waitress ;)

attachment_1.jpg
[/url]
picture upload sites[/IMG]

OP
OP
Major Tom

Major Tom

Contributor
WOW I can't believe we are already into our second week of this adventure. left Vega TX this morning stopped in Adrian TX which is the 1/2 way point of route 66. stopped at a local guys shop because he had a lot of old cars . he invited us in and showed off all the cars and had a story for all of them. he was fond of Studebakers. next we stopped at the Blue Swallow motel .we met a woman there and her son, they said they have 8 CB's . she thought her husband was on this site and might go by maine racer. she said she was from ND then said she was from Oregon .she was going to tell her husband about this post. Our next stop was Josephs bar and grill in Santa Rosa, we then went to the route 66 auto museum, lots of cool cars. from there we stopped at the blue hole a natural spring used for scuba training and public swimming. little disappointed in NM lots of interstate driving, looks like Arizona is going to be much the same. Its a little crazy driving 55-60 and every one else is doing 75-80. about 230 miles today. spending the night in Moriarty NM. put a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer in this morning and the oil pressure was great all day, even at highway speeds

Attachments

• 66-41.jpg
    66-41.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 66-42.jpg
    66-42.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 66-43.jpg
    66-43.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 66-44.png
    66-44.png
    217.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 66-45.png
    66-45.png
    219.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 66-46.jpg
    66-46.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 66-47.jpg
    66-47.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 66-51.png
    66-51.png
    259.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 66-50.jpg
    66-50.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 66-49.png
    66-49.png
    262.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 66-48.png
    66-48.png
    248.7 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
WOW I can't believe we are already into our second week of this adventure. left Vega TX this morning stopped in Adrian TX which is the 1/2 way point of route 66. stopped at a local guys shop because he had a lot of old cars . he invited us in and showed off all the cars and had a story for all of them. he was fond of Studebakers. next we stopped at the Blue Swallow motel .we met a woman there and her son, they said they have 8 CB's . she thought her husband was on this site and might go by maine racer. she said she was from ND then said she was from Oregon .she was going to tell her husband about this post. Our next stop was Josephs bar and grill in Santa Rosa, we then went to the route 66 auto museum, lots of cool cars. from there we stopped at the blue hole a natural spring used for scuba training and public swimming. little disappointed in NM lots of interstate driving, looks like Arizona is going to be much the same. Its a little crazy driving 55-60 and every one else is doing 75-80. about 230 miles today. put a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer in this morning and the oil pressure was great all day, even at highway speeds

The Ford dealer in Albuquerque may have their Bronco push truck yet- I don't know. Sounds like you already went past Thoreau, NM? There's a bar there with a number of EBs out back. Never for sale. There also used to be some off I-40 in AZ near Sanders. And I've seen 1-2 in Holbrook too. If you drive through Flagstaff you might see some.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
Major Tom

Major Tom

Contributor
The Ford dealer in Albuquerque may have their Bronco push truck yet- I don't know. Sounds like you already went past Thoreau, NM? There's a bar there with a number of EBs out back. Never for sale. There also used to be some off I-40 in AZ near Sanders. And I've seen 1-2 in Holbrook too. If you drive through Flagstaff you might see some.

Todd Z.

stopped at the ford dealership in Albuquerque. they told me they auctioned it of and one of their tech's bought it and hasn't done anything with it yet

OP
OP
Major Tom

Major Tom

Contributor
left Holbrook AZ this morning, stopped at jo and Aggies for a light lunch. also stopped at the wigwam motel .our next stop was Winslow AZ where we stood on the corner.
been stressing for days over my oil pressure. it's been all over the place from 25 to 0. I knew I had oil pressure but no ide how much. I knew the sending unit was new. I installed a mechanical gauge to erase any doubts. I was pleasantly surprised a steady 50 lbs. all day long.

Attachments

• 66-56.png
    66-56.png
    205 KB · Views: 94
  • 66=58.jpg
    66=58.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 66-57.jpg
    66-57.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 98
  • 66-55.png
    66-55.png
    223.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 66-54.png
    66-54.png
    162 KB · Views: 83
  • 66-53.png
    66-53.png
    207 KB · Views: 82
  • 66-52.png
    66-52.png
    191.8 KB · Views: 80

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Nice, that's got to be a relief! Cool pics, still following your trip. :)

OP
OP
Major Tom

Major Tom

Contributor
Nice, that's got to be a relief! Cool pics, still following your trip. :)

should be in CA tomorrow. don't know how close I am going to get to the end at Santa Monica pier, don't think I wan't to deal with LA traffic

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nah, they're all heading in the opposite direction to get out of Dodge for the weekend.
Ok, that's just wishful thinking of course. There's enough to go around and then some, so the population equivalent of three states could leave town and you'd still have bumper-to-bumper traffic on every highway and byway.
And pier....;)

But I say you've gotten this far. Go for it!
Then work your way up in time to stop by our place in Lodi on Tuesday!

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How is the connection at the old sending unit? The little 90 degree thingy is notorious for loosening up over time and giving erratic readings. In those cases, a little squeeze and they're gutentight for a few more years.
Would that it was that simple...

Paul

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Following your thread...you gotta make it to the pier...you've travelled too far not to!! : )

Keep on rollin'...

elan

Loc.
s
Not much writing on the cooling system. Assumption that it is working well.
You are driving thru the Mojave, hell on earth.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Next trip needs to be the Trans America Trail, maybe not the whole thing but at least some of it:). Its all back roads, most of them dirt. I've driven most of it from Arkansas/Tennessee border to just west of Moab. its slow in Arkansas 100 miles is a pretty good day. Once in Oklahoma the pace can pick up and 200 or more isn't a big deal, and stays that way until you hit the Rocky's, then it slows back down. I've towed my 2 car trailer over most of it in OK, NM and eastern CO, and my tow rig over most of it in the Rocky's so its very tame.

metal1

Loc.
hidesert ,socal
I hope your wipers are working it has been raining off and on since about noon here in the Barstow area cooled off a little but still around a 100 but now its a wet heat ,drive safe enjoy your trip

OP
OP
Major Tom

Major Tom

Contributor
Not much writing on the cooling system. Assumption that it is working well.
You are driving thru the Mojave, hell on earth.

the cooling system has been working fine. running at 170 all day long. it has a 12-14 pound pressure relief cap. I check it every day and it usually only needs about 6 to 8 ozs. of fluid. I do have a gallon of anti freeze with me. We drove across OK with 98 deg temp. and 112 heat index with no problems

OP
OP
Major Tom

Major Tom

Contributor
I hope your wipers are working it has been raining off and on since about noon here in the Barstow area cooled off a little but still around a 100 but now its a wet heat ,drive safe enjoy your trip

we did run into some rain today in Williams AZ, got to love them vacuum wipers

OP
OP
Major Tom

Major Tom

Contributor
left Flagstaff this morning and headed to Williams AZ, a real route 66 tourist town. It is suppose to be the last city that got bypassed by the interstate. went by an old gas station display, and was surprised to find a half cab. nobody around that knew anything about it. Left Williams and ran into a little rain storm, got to love those vacuum wipers at 55 mph. stopped at snow cap ice cream shop in Seligman AZ, it was pretty crowded but we found a parking spot right in front. A lot of the people were taking pictures of the roadster as we ate. I think they thought it was part of the display. Sopped for the night in Kingman AZ

Attachments

• 66-59.jpg
    66-59.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 66-60.jpg
    66-60.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 66-61.jpg
    66-61.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 66-62.jpg
    66-62.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 105

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cool, cool and cool Tom!! Is that the Flatbed Ford in Winslow? Great news on the oil pressure. Keep the pics coming!

OP
OP
Major Tom

Major Tom

Contributor
made it to Barstow CA Saturday night. drove through the desert it was 102 deg. We looked at the forecast and the miles we have traveled and decided that we have accomplished what we had set out to do, we are not going into LA at 103 deg. on the 4th of July weekend. This morning we headed back east. We went back through the desert, but started early. by the time we got to needles CA it was 108 deg. got back to Kingman AZ got a nice room with a beautiful pool. sat by the pool and enjoyed a few beers. tomorrow we are heading North, but not before I check out a story from a local. I was told there is a guy in town that has over 40 classic broncos, and he does nothing with them. I have a lead as to where they may be stored . we have logged 2,711 miles as of today. the radiator held up fine across the desert (twice). it is the stock radiator and has never been out of the truck.