• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Running no shocks

73bronc92

Im wondering if, to test my coils and leaves, if I can take out the shocks for a day and will it still drive safely or would it be something i just cruise around the block type thing? And I have duals in the rear I want to remove one, but if its in the V shape over the axle will one shock still work? Thanks

78Scronco

Bronco Guru
it will bounce uncontrolably. We did it once when moving a bronco from one location to another, just took it slow, but it was still scary.

OP
OP

73bronc92

oh ok so just run one shock if possible. The reason i bring it up is because I searched but never found if it would be safe or not since by truck rides like rock in one of the washboard things%)

Broncology

I have an add-a-leaf %) in the rear on my bronco, so I took the rear shocks off just to see if it would make any difference. I drove it about 100 yards and turned back around and went home. The first bump I took it felt like I was on a pogo stick...bad idea.

OP
OP

73bronc92

ha ha so ill try single shocks all the way around. now should i run the V shock in the front of the rear axle or behind the axle?

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
If you want to test your flex, just unhook them when you get to where you are going. No way I would drive it on a public road. You would look like one of those low riders showing off.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Don't do it. One of my roommates back in college broke the shock mounts on his Jeep and drove around a week or so without shocks before he could have new mounts welded on. It was scary riding around in that thing, and every time we crossed the railroad tracks we might as well have been blasting La Bamba on the stereo as we'd hop for half a block or more.

I'm amazed we didn't wreck the way that guy drove...

OP
OP

73bronc92

well i was just going to test the quality of my coils and leaves as i dont know how old they are its a 3.5 inch is what the PO told me and its like an old 8 pack with i think dual old ranchos on each corner.

68ford

Bronco Guru
guess it all depends on your rear springs, i drove around with my 11leaf pack and no shocks, rode like a smooth cady unless i hit a really big bump, never though an eb could go over a speed bump so smooth though. ever since ive been running softer and softer shocks on the rebound side especially.

Amac70

ME
ya i agree with 68 i ran around for a long time with out rear shocks, couldn't tell the difference. This was when i was running rear inboard shocks broke a mt in moab took the shocks off couldn't telll the difference so just left em off. till i replaced it with a cage rear shock set up.

OP
OP

73bronc92

ok sweet thanks for the great replies. Ill give it a shot tonight and see what happens. Keep it comin

Broncobowsher

Total hack
take a set off and start off easy. See how it does. Running without any at all tends to get interesting the softer the spring rates are. I made a trip to the hardware store once with my BroncoII with no rear shocks. It was to buy new bolts as the old ones were rusted to the shocks that I cut off. The drive was OK, but I could not live with it that way. Worst one I was ever in was a Plymouth Sapparo that rusted the inner wheel well out of it. I took the wheelwell and rear shock out and tossed them. That was spooky above 45.

As for front, rear or one of each. Give it a try. One setup may work better then the other. I bet you can't tell the difference though.

You are making it too hard. Just do it. drive careful until you know the results.

OP
OP

73bronc92

shot shocks

I got the shocks pulled one from each side so now one shock on each corner. The shocks are done, toast. Thankfully my dad agreed so now Im most likely getting Bilstiens! Its the 5120 series right? Correct me if im wrong though... Thanks for the help i'll get to test drive it tomorrow too;D

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
I drove without shocks for nearly a year. You will feel like you are driving a boat on choppy seas. For a quick trip around the block can't really hurt. But I wouldn't go any real distance.

OP
OP

73bronc92

Update
Now ive been running singles for a couple days. Tons better already. My dad picked up some NAPA shocks the all blue ones. Anyone run these? How are they?