• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Serious Charging system problem

Nesner

Loc.
Englewood, Co
Ok i have a 69 with the 302, i just replaced the alternator, and regulator. Now battery wont charge, so i created a jumper wire from the field on the alt to the battery and low and behold it charges, well now it over charges when im driving highway speeds. all grounds are good from what i can tell with my multimeter. any sugestions? Oh and sadly my girl is my daily driver so not taking her out of service would be awesome. thanks guys and gals.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
If you can jump the orange wire and make it charge then the voltage regulator is not working. Make sure the connector is on good and the regulator is well grounded. In fact if you hooked up the connector before you grounded it, it may be toasted.

Before replacement check voltages on the yellow and green-red wires.

Attachments

• alt-reg.jpg
    alt-reg.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
N

Nesner

Loc.
Englewood, Co
Ok so my regulator could be trashed, what exactly does the regulator do, in a dummy explain please. i am kinda new to the restore process

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The regulator senses battery voltage through the yellow wire and sends a current to the alternator field (orange wire) to cause the alternator to charge. The weaker the battery voltage, the more the current sent to the field. The green-red wire turns the regulator on.

OP
OP
N

Nesner

Loc.
Englewood, Co
oh rock on, that help a whole hell of a lot, thank you your the first person to actually know what an external regulator does. thanks again