• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

setting the timing after removing distributor

tworedballs

Loc.
Satellite Beach
So I am inthe situation where my distributor has been pulled from teh engine completely. I have no marks as to where what was when it was running. My harmonic balancer is on correctly, so I have a set of marks as to what TDC is.

Now, I had my neighbor helping me today. We found TDC by removing the valve covers, watching the valves open and close. Once he saw both valves close, we then turned the crank 180-degrees and then tried to seat the distributor. I have played with the rotation of the distributor (I set the dizzy to hit the #1 piston when we put it back in) and all I can get it a backfire of sorts out of the carb like it is blowing gas.

Was I not supposed to turn the crank that extra 180 degrees? He had a book with him for rebuilding the Ford small block and it said to do that after finding both valves closed.

I know there has to be an easy way to get the engine timed enoght ostart if you don't have any marks for the new distributor. Help!!!?:? Thanks in advance, guys.

4lofun

dont turn 180 once both valves close thats compression stroke put distrib in pointing at 1. if wont drop all way down turn crank little to engage oil pump

ransil

Bronco Guru
Both valves are the compression stroke, set it at o-10 btdc and it should start.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Doesn't sound quite right. That section of the book may have been referring to some other reason for turning the crank that far. To adjust the valves perhaps?
And just to be sure, which valves were you looking at? Number one cylinder is the front, left pair of valves as you're looking at the engine.

You have the right idea though. Once the valves for number 1 are closed you're getting close to TDC. Basically though, once they're closed, you should only need to turn the crank enough to line up the timing marks. Or at least to line them up about 10° BTDC.
You should not have had to turn the crank that far to get the pointer to line up. That just does not seem right.

Also, is this a 302 or a 351 or a late-model 5.0? The firing order can be different so don't forget to triple-check your plug wires for the correct firing order. Even pros-that-know still get it wrong sometimes.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Paul

OP
OP
tworedballs

tworedballs

Loc.
Satellite Beach
thanks, guys. This is an '87 roller 5.0 motor converted back to carbed set-up by the PO. From all the research I've done, the firing order is the same.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Here you go, I pulled this from another post.... I didn't want to type it up again.....

This is what I always do.
  • Make sure engine has new oil and oil filter in it.
  • Prime engine oil using an oil priming tool or a gutted distributor and a drill. To use an old dizzy just remove the inners and the cam gear.
  • Make sure there is oil pressure.
  • Remove #1 spark plug.
  • Using a starter switch on the solenoid, jog engine over while priming the oil pump a couple of times.
  • Now place your finger close to the #1 spark plug hole and jog engine over. You will feel air pushing out the hole on every other stroke.This is the compression stroke and where you want to start as your baseline.
  • Find the compression stroke and look at the timing marks. Use a breakerbar and socket on the crank bolt to line the marks up about 8-10 degrees BTDC on the compression stroke.
  • Your distributor cap should be all wired up with your plug wires. If not, set it up where you want the #1 plug to start. Fit cap on the dizzy and mark position of the #1 plug on the dist. bottom half.
  • Now drop that dizzy in while trying to land the rotor pointing in the area of the #1 mark you made. You may need to use the oil pump priming tool or gutted dizzy to turn the oil pump shaft for the new dizzy to drop in where you want it.
  • Now you got the dizzy in. Line up #1 mark and rotor. Double check crank timing marks, it should be at 8-10 degree BTDC on the compression stroke. Reinstall #1 spark plug and wire, Lock down dizzy.
  • Add fuel, make sure trans is in park, parking brake on, timing light ready, fire exstinguisher close by and charged. Wire up everything like you should and start engine. This baseline position with crank and dizzy will get motor started, if not, then you have other problems
  • This is what I always do...........

Good Luck,
    madgyver
As a matter of fact I will be doing this today on a customer's EB

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This is an '87 roller 5.0 motor converted back to carbed set-up by the PO. From all the research I've done, the firing order is the same.

Won't that sometimes depend on what vehicle it came out of? Like an '87 Mustang might be the HO/351W firing order (13726548), while an engine from an '87 Cougar or Crown Vic and some other cars had the old 302 firing order (15426378) still?

Just checking.

Paul