• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

setting timing need help

beerthirty

Loc.
Lakewood, Co
Is there a good round about number for setting the timing or do you just do it by ear? what would you suggest setting it at for a 302. And what does the advancing and retarding the timing change I know ite the spark but is it better for advance or move back. Thanks

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
A good round number for base timing would be 10*+/- a few.
It is gereally best to get as much advance as you can without pinging.
Can you reword your second sentence a bit, I didn't wquite catch what you're asking?

OP
OP
B

beerthirty

Loc.
Lakewood, Co
sounds good I dont know what the problem is, im gonna check my timing but I was just started my bronco and its running like its missing but I was just driving it ten minutes before and it was fine its really strange any idea's

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
The motors came stock retarded to pass emissions (well the later models and all CA sold at least). I often have to take mine way back to get it to pass but to get power you want it advanced.

OP
OP
B

beerthirty

Loc.
Lakewood, Co
sounds good. I dont know what the problem is, im gonna check my timing but I was just started my bronco and its running like its missing but I was just driving it ten minutes before and it was fine its really strange. any idea's

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
It also depends on altitude. Start at 12 BTDC and you might get away away with up to 20 degrees at our altitude. When I ran a stock 302 12 worked best and when I had a cam, headers and some other go fast goodies it liked 20 BTDC better. If you're up to a trip to Arvada this weekend, I'll help you set it.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If the timing chain and gear have not been changed that could be the prob as far as the missing in the engine you are having.

302fix

Contributor
Check to see if the vacuum advance line or a plug wire came off.

OP
OP
B

beerthirty

Loc.
Lakewood, Co
evrything is hooked up, I cant figure out what is going on it was running fine and I just put on a new air filter, It was running great and as I was walking into the garage to put the tools away it started having a ruff idle but when I rev it up it sounds fine.

bronco213

Loc.
peru
if it was running good and all of a sudden it runs roug ,,its prolly starting to leak at the float vavle