• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

should i get a bronco?

MountainGuy

Loc.
Athens, Georgia
Dude, i'm only 17 and i bought a Bronco. I love the thing....it's so much more fun than any other vehicle ever. For real.....and the ladies love 'em too...so if for nothing else.....get one for that i guess. I bought mine and it sucked....but i had a little money saved up and fixed a couple things, and now it's bada$$. You'll always wish you had one if you don't go ahead and get one now.

hakstooy

Loc.
Alexandria, VA
I say go for it. Sure there are some impracticalities, but you'll ahve a grin on your face every time you get near it.

I say patience is a virtue here, though. As stated before, some owners are willing (more likely forced) to sell REALLY nice rigs for far less than they put in. I got impulsive and excited and overpaid for mine, I don't regret it, but I could've done it smarter.

Make sure you inspect the hell outta anything before you sign yourself into it. To make things easier on yourself, I'd get one with power disc brakes, power steering & roll bar so that the core safety stuff is there right from the get go. It'll drive ya nuts to buy it and have to work on it before you can even use it.

OP
OP
D

dmb2187

Loc.
charleston sc
i have looked at old range rovers and discoveries, but like what was said earlier, repair is expensive, plus to get one for $14k, it would have to have alot of miles...now i know an old bronco will have that much more, but it seems to me a bronco thats been around that long must be in top shape. the driver of the range rover could have treated it like crap, and it would cost me more in the long run. so i scratched that idea.

by the way the explorer4x4.com site is great, alot like this. i joined it lookin for some help when my mom's explorer was havin troubles. some of those guys go crazy!

OP
OP
D

dmb2187

Loc.
charleston sc
sorry that last post seemed alittle late, didnt notice there was a third page :-[

i was lookin at any eb, but now ill narrow my search to the 76/77 like yall recommended. thanks for all yall's help, this really is amazing!

Synds9

Loc.
San Diego, CA
i haven't time to read all the previous replies so forgive me if i'm just restating what someone else said earlier.

Being in your position 2 years ago... and I can't stress this enough, don't buy the bronco yet. I know, it sucks having to wait but it'll all make sense by the time you're done reading all of this. Purchase something really good on gas, something very comfortable, something you can drive from home to school and to work everyday. Something that requires little maintenance. The reason being is, I bought my bronco and now I wish I had money to buy a vehicle more suited for a daily driver for someone my age . Sure, alot of guys on here daily drive their EBs but they also have money saved, jobs that pay good or decent $$$ and can afford the gas, maintenance and the possibility of their EB breaking down.

If you purchase the EB, all of your money will go into it. If the EB you purchase is any less than perfect, any little thing might begin to get to you as time goes by. First it might be the weather-stripping, then the tires... while you're at it you might go a size bigger with some new gears and hey maybe a lift! It adds up so fast, and before you know it you're trying to figure out where your money has all gone. I say wait it out, get a vehicle you can DD, so you can get a job and be sure that you'd get there every day on time as well as school, and begin saving. This way you can purchase an EB for a deal and start working on it and get it the way you want it. When summer time comes around you can have your insurance company swap the insurance so you can drive it for a few months... no biggy! You don't wanna end up buying an EB, find out it's not practical enough for a DD and have to sell it (as I've heard happening to many people) just so you can buy something more suited to your needs , losing all that money in the process.

Well that's just my opinion, I hope it helped put some things into perspective but perhaps I'm totally wrong %)

OP
OP
D

dmb2187

Loc.
charleston sc
thanks for your help, it made me do some thinking. i can see what your saying...but i dont know if i agree.

for one, i have some money saved that is strictly set aside for whatever vehicle i end up with. i also have/am getting a part time job that pays well (also shows the folks "responsibility", or somethin...) another thing is, and some of you might hate me for this, but i dont pay gas, unless it gets too extreme or my grades drop.

the maintenance was one of the main issues i had, but the people here make it seem like if i can find a really good bronco, repairs shouldnt be that bad. and when theyare needed, they are apparently rather cheap and/or simple. as for breaking down, that can happen to any used vehicle. my dad's company truck (isnt even used, a 2001) wouldnt start this morning so i had to bum a ride to and from school.

like you said, but you probably didnt read...i was advised to get a bronco that was already modded, so i wouldnt have to put all of my money and energy and time into it. it would be ready to drive.

ive been doing alot of thinking, and i dont want something like what everyone else has. i know, i know, everyoneand there brother has an explorer, but thats why i have the money saved, so i can make it "mine." that is a big part of why i want an EB anyway. ive seen maybe 2 in the greater charleston area.

hd03sporty

Loc.
Tucson AZ
Let me put it to you this way, no matter what you do with your money... it's your money..... if YOU want something unique and something that wont lose it's value then buy a EB... The Early Broncos are alot like a HARLEY they are unique and there is so much you can do to them to make them your own creation i've owned 2 Harleys and three Early Broncos (I currently own a 2003 Harley, 2 Broncos,69 and 70 and my "comfortable" Vehicle 2003 Explorer Sporttrac , but the bottom line I would take my Broncos over everything ive ever owned it's nice to see the "Bronco waves" along with the Harley waves I get.. I don't see that when i'm driving around just blending in with the masses on the road with all the other not so personal vehicles on the road..bottom line it's the thing to do once you experience it you (and your parents) will know it was the right choice..

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Even when the Bronco's broken it makes it home. I've driven it home on the front drive shaft a couple times. I've driven home with only 1st and 2nd on my original C-4. I've driven it home with only 5 cylinders one time and 6 the other time (this all of course was from abuse). It's made it home with no alternator, no power steering, broken clutch linkage, no power brakes (it has all those ammenities), a hole in the oil pan, and 6 split cores in the radiator.
Let's face it, if you want mileage, this is not for you. If you build it right, it will be fairly reliable. And oh yeah, building a motor that gets cranky on 91 octane is not advisable (damned California gas).
Don't let these neigh-sayers deter you! If you make your Bronco loud enough, you get disqualified by your college buddies to drive on road trips. Also the argument of: "If we all throw down on gas to take 'the Beast' it will ultimately be cheaper for all of you to drive alone," seems to work every time.

Synds9

Loc.
San Diego, CA
76broncofromhell i can relate to EVERYTHING you just listed... that's hilarious, what a coincidence ;D .. well except the power brakes, i dont have those. well i guess i should mention i drive a built motor like 76.. not quite as big but it is a stroker (347) so im more oppurtune to risk than the average bronco, i also spend more on gas. i just read the thread and if you buy it right for the most part the first time, you'll already be a step ahead of the game.. and since you have 14k i think you're set ;)

BroncoRookie

I don't know about using it as a daily driver. For going hunting or wheelin', yes. For $14k get yourself a grand Cherokee or a Liberty. Just my 2 cents.

Moaiz

Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
...then your grand cherokee or liberty can depreciate 33% every year you own it and you can watch that 14k investment float off into time with each passing day while you do the same maintence or have the dealership or shop do it at a premium. Maybe you can get the road hazzard package too with the Heep so you dont even have to change your own tires. What a deal that would be.

Bama John

Loc.
Huntsville Alabama
In response to the explorer v. E.B. question,Ive had my EB for 2 1/2 months now 8 people have knocked on my front door wanting to buy it,from a man stand point it makes ya feel good that you got something everyone else wants,and if you pull up next to a explorer at a red light and its the same color etc etc you'll try not to look at the people,but hey if ya was in an EB (early bronco) youd give thumbs up at the least if not pull over and give back pats.all the new stuff is run by computers and computers = $$$$$$ I'll stick to the old stuff you can still work and learn on.just my 2 cents good luck

hakstooy

Loc.
Alexandria, VA
I do think the money is a concern, things will certainly need attention, and while the majority will be small annoyances (they are all about 30 years old now after all) they can add up. It shouldn't be enough to break you, but it can be more than you're expecting. Something to keep in mind is that if you're in school and spending money on other things you'll just have to wait til after school to change anything significant like tires, gears, etc. (Conversely, buying a 6-7 year old Honda or something can drop multiple hundred dollar doozies on ya like a broken door latch or something)

And, if you wait to buy one that has everything you want, then you won't have to worry about modding anything. Also I say the knowledge you gain by owning is invaluable.

Make sure you leave a cushion in your funds and you should be OK. In the end, its about having fun and being yourself.

MKD

Loc.
Edgewood, NM
Moaiz said:
...then your grand cherokee or liberty can depreciate 33% every year you own it and you can watch that 14k investment float off into time with each passing day while you do the same maintence or have the dealership or shop do it at a premium.

Yeah, Moaiz has a good point here. I have four other vehicles, three of which I paid for over time. What a drag! Monthly payments for years and years... Well, they're all paid for and I'm so happy that the Bronco is also paid for and, unlike all the other vehicles, is actually appreciating in value! If I ever sell it (perish the thought!) there will be quite a bit of profit involved...;D

vbro

I also wanted a EB because of its "uniqueness". In California you rarely saw one on the streets. When I moved to AZ you'll see one once a week.....so it's not as unique...But I realized with all the waves I now belong to brotherhood. If you or your parents are worried about reliability, with the money you have to invest, you will end up with a very reliable rig. EBs were built very solid. I've put alot of abuse to mine with no ill fated consequences. As far as the other expences that go along with vehicles, you'll be spending less. Any maintenace, repairs and parts are considerably cheaper and many can be done yourself. Insurance is less. You wont have to worry about a monthly payment. Any money that you get from your job can go to future mods like EFI:) KC lights 8) Bigger tires and a lift:D full roll cage;D Smittybuilt bumpers:eek: ...whoa! started dreaming again...;) What you gain from owning a EB is priceless....mechanical knowledge, the EB brotherhood, admiration, responcability...I could go on and on! Check out http://www.4x4sforsale.com/ford.htm. There's quite a few EBs to choose from.

OP
OP
D

dmb2187

Loc.
charleston sc
yeah thats a negative on the jeep idea. the only jeep id get would be a cj, but thats only if i was old and had alot of money to throw at it.

westco

Loc.
Klamath Falls, OR
Ok, now you have heard it all. But the bottom line is you are going to spend $15,000.00 to have a good running EB. These are great rigs and they get the looks that a jeep just won't get. Also being a former jeep owner I can tell you that a jeep will cost just as much to put together.

Awnrie69

Loc.
Salem, Or
hawkgt said:
I think I am going to have to take a different slant on this. My first car was a 66 mustang. I bought it when I was 15 and spent that year restoring it to like new condition. The problem was that it was still an OLD CAR. I can remember several times when I was on a date and the car wouldn't start. It was very embarassing. I also remember my 30 minute drive to my high school in the summer with no AC. It wasn't good to take on trips and I know when I got to college I was always going somewhere on the weekends. I agree that with $14K you can buy one heck of a Bronco, but to be young and it be your only vehicle for the next 5 years I'm not so sure I would recommend that route. I sold my mustang after a year and bought a late model car. Later on I got back into classic vehicles when I bought my first bronco while I was in college and had a car as a second vehicle to take on interviews or take trips home in. You said yourself that you don't want a project. I dare say that even a $14k Bronco will be somewhat of a project. You will always have to deal with the modifications that the previous owner didn't do quite right or electrical grimlins that seem to pop up at the worst possible moment. Any used vehicle will have its fair share of problems yes, but a 30 year old truck will have more problems than the average late model vehicle.

I say buy a newer car/truck/suv and save up for a Bronco when you are ready for a project. Good luck no matter what you decide!

My first car was a 68 mustang that I got when I was 17. I absolutely loved the thing. It taught me that Fords were relaiable and would not leave me stranded. I love the attention that I got in it and all of the looks. I still have it after 14 years and get offers on it all of the time. I learned how to drive on an old scout.... (my dad probably regets that since he can not understand my love for 4wheel drives)... even with that it was popular at getting the attention of the opposite sex. As with anything, you can get a good one or a bad one. The main thing to do is to check it out to make sure that it is good mechanically. I got my bronco for $2,000 and have done a lot of modifications... power brakes, power steering... lift, tires, and the list goes on and on. If you get something that does have the mods on it, make sure that you get the information on what was used to do the mods incase you need to fix anything. The main this is to make sure that you get what you want.... you have to be happy with your decision and what you are driving and if you get a bronco, you will never lose it in a parking lot full of explorers... If you take care of her, she will take care of you....

dxeflyr

Loc.
Ocala FL
The fella I was working with the other day asked how my '74 was doing. It kinda surprised me, because I didn't even know he knew I owned one. He told me that a few of the other guys at work had talked about how nice it would be to have something like it at home to mess with. He also said he'd had one in high school (when they were new) and it was one of the best cars he'd ever owned. After a few more minutes, he said that although he made about 100 times more money than he did back in high school, he probably had less money to just goof around with these days.

I guess the message he was trying to get across to me was that although he has a lot more money now, his responsibilities have grown too. More folks than not won't be able to spend a lot of their extra cash on something as whimsical as a Bronco... it all goes to buying a new house, an engagement ring, diapers, etc. Given the choice, I would say buy the EB now before life gets in the way you have to take life too seriously... high school only happens once, man.