• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Silver Lake pics and video posted 07/29/14

croft75

Ive always wanted to come to the dunes, If I'm from out of country what would I need?
Are there temporary ORV passes how do they work? what is the best way to buy one?

brewchief

Ive always wanted to come to the dunes, If I'm from out of country what would I need?
Are there temporary ORV passes how do they work? what is the best way to buy one?

As far as I know you will simply need a ORV sticker(well two of them I guess with the new system) and a state park sticker. I don't think either of them are different for out of state or country folks. Available at the dunes or voucher center amoung other places and online as well.
You need a front mounted flag as well, must be a certain size and height, readily available at the dunes
edit: state park out of state visitor is 9$ daily or 31$ yearly
ORV appears to be the same as in state and is 36.25

Note for everyone, spark arresters are required at the sand dunes, any reverse flow type muffler is fine but a straight through glasspack doesn't meet the specs, there is a sound check as well but most rigs with halfway decent mufflers and a full exhaust will pass just fine. Posting this since it sounds like some newbies to the dunes might be coming and I don't want anybody to get turned away at the gate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hank_

Hank_

Bronco Guru
Bump up to the top. It will be crazy busy up there this coming weekend. Looks like it would be a great weekend to be up there.

IMG_1706_zps24c65da6.jpg~original

Hank

swyman

Loc.
Blissfield
Hey Hank, you going? I started that thread on silverlakeforum in case anyone else over there were interested. I will be leaving Thursday morning with the dirty four letter word Rubicon. I may be able to hook you up with a voucher if you go. It is a circus to get them that's for sure but I'm seasoned!
-Shane

OP
OP
Hank_

Hank_

Bronco Guru
Hey Hank, you going? I started that thread on silverlakeforum in case anyone else over there were interested. I will be leaving Thursday morning with the dirty four letter word Rubicon. I may be able to hook you up with a voucher if you go. It is a circus to get them that's for sure but I'm seasoned!
-Shane

I wish I was going. Just to much going on here. Thanks for the voucher offer though. Where are you staying this weekend?

Hank

swyman

Loc.
Blissfield
Dang Hank, pics don't come up at work so I just seen you pic. I took mine about the same spot! My family has had property since 1980. It's on the channel between Silver Lake and Lake Michigan across the street from Hide-a-way campground. Grandparents bought it and we all helped clear the trees (I was only 7) but was there with grandpa every time to work. My aunt bought it 7 years ago so I inherited all the up keep. Hopefully in another 10 years it will be mine!

Attachments

• 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 56
OP
OP
Hank_

Hank_

Bronco Guru
Dang Hank, pics don't come up at work so I just seen you pic. I took mine about the same spot! My family has had property since 1980. It's on the channel between Silver Lake and Lake Michigan across the street from Hide-a-way campground. Grandparents bought it and we all helped clear the trees (I was only 7) but was there with grandpa every time to work. My aunt bought it 7 years ago so I inherited all the up keep. Hopefully in another 10 years it will be mine!

That's awesome you have property up there. That pic was taken last year. The guy in that bronco was hauling ass all over the dunes. He had it set up with a long travel suspension and it really soaked up the bumps. Looked like a blast to drive. I assume this is the style you are building?

Henry

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hank_

Hank_

Bronco Guru
Well just over a month away and I can't wait. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what everyone would like to do to get together up there. I will be up on Thursday hopefully by early afternoon. I plan on playing on the dunes most of the day Saturday and some on Friday. Would anyone like to get together to meet for first timers to go over safety and driving on the dunes. I would be happy to lead anyone who is interested for a one time trip around the dunes to show everyone where to ride and what to watch for. I also will make a trip up to Ludington one day to the lighthouse. It is an awesome drive and lots of places to stop for a swim and see some cool scenery along the way. On that day we will go through Pentwater which is a great place for a burger or to check out the lake or for the ladies plenty of small shops to look through. Just kicking around some ideas and if anyone else has some other ideas please post them up. I am really looking forward to the weekend up there and I think I will just drive the bronco up and not trailer it.

Hank

frenchy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hank, sounds like some good ideas, especially the first timer deal. I'm half way done with my Stroppe look alike roll bar. Should be installed by the weekend.

frenchy

mudford

Loc.
Midland, MI
I got a campsite for the weekend. Not many left. I had to try 4 campgrounds to find one. My son keeps asking me how long until we go to the dunes.

OP
OP
Hank_

Hank_

Bronco Guru
I treated myself to a set of these:

51D4w25xsPL._SY300_.jpg

Looking forward to giving them a try.;D

Hank

trevorJ93

Loc.
Portage, MI
Might try and make a day trip up and wheel with you guys , what day is everyone thinking of spending the main portion of the day in the sand

OP
OP
Hank_

Hank_

Bronco Guru
My guess would be Saturday would be the main day. Try to get everyone together for some pics and maybe hang over at Lake Michigan. I will try to send everyone a message the week before we head up to see who all will be there and if anyone wants to do anything specific.

Hank

OP
OP
Hank_

Hank_

Bronco Guru
Those big ass Mickey Thompson's should give you plenty of floatation on the dunes! I can't wait to get up there. I need a break.

Hank

Illinois73

We'll guys I won't be making it to pentwater as I previously said (first time in 15 years). I'm now spending the week off moving, (yippee!!!) wife's still heading up tho. Maybe I'll send her to represent. Kidding aside, hopefully we'll have another chance to meet there. ENJOY!!!

brewchief

I might try to make it up on Sat just for the day, if I come I'd need a parking lot voucher, anybody going to be getting in line fri night to get them that could get me one as well?