• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Silver Lake Sand Dunes Michigan

Hank_

Bronco Guru
I am camping with my daughters here in the great state of Michigan. We are at the Silver Lake Sand Dunes where I have been coming for about 26 years. I finally made it out on the dunes today and spotted a couple Bronco's I thought some might like to see the pics. I will add more pics this week if more are spotted.

Henry

051.jpg

055.jpg

056.jpg

Brian in MI

Looks pretty slow there. Usually the top of Test Hill is full.

Since it is hot, treat yourself to some awesome ice cream. Go to the Ice cream parlor by Silver Sands restruant, across from the gas station, get some Traverse Bay Choclate Cherry. Vanilla ice cream with Traverse City cherries, and Michigan made chocolate.

OP
OP
Hank_

Hank_

Bronco Guru
Looks pretty slow there. Usually the top of Test Hill is full.

Since it is hot, treat yourself to some awesome ice cream. Go to the Ice cream parlor by Silver Sands restruant, across from the gas station, get some Traverse Bay Choclate Cherry. Vanilla ice cream with Traverse City cherries, and Michigan made chocolate.

That picture was taken on monday morning. For the weekend the dunes was packed with people. They ran out of voutchers on saturday!! I am here untill this saturday and it is just now getting nice and quiet here at the camp ground. I will be back up on the dunes today and friday. I will try to snap some more pics. Makes me wish my bronco was done!

Henry

Brian in MI

That picture was taken on monday morning. For the weekend the dunes was packed with people. They ran out of voutchers on saturday!! I am here untill this saturday and it is just now getting nice and quiet here at the camp ground. I will be back up on the dunes today and friday. I will try to snap some more pics. Makes me wish my bronco was done!

Henry

Yeup, the best days to be there are tues, wed, and thurs. we were up there in 2008, and it was pretty slow. Years before you had to get vouchers the day before, just to get in before 3pm.
Still beats the years when you had to get in line at 5am just to get in the parking lot.

What camp ground are you at? some can rather roudy at night.
Have fun and be safe, and watch the last dune it can get really peaked.

OP
OP
Hank_

Hank_

Bronco Guru
Yeup, the best days to be there are tues, wed, and thurs. we were up there in 2008, and it was pretty slow. Years before you had to get vouchers the day before, just to get in before 3pm.
Still beats the years when you had to get in line at 5am just to get in the parking lot.

What camp ground are you at? some can rather roudy at night.
Have fun and be safe, and watch the last dune it can get really peaked.

I have been staying at Sandy Shores Campground for as long as I can remember. It is a family only campground and the remember my name every year. I would recommend it to anyone coming up here. Nice and quiet here, just the way I like it.

Henry

OP
OP
Hank_

Hank_

Bronco Guru
We missed you on sunday afternoon, we had 3 broncos together.

I could not find a voucher to get on the dunes sunday. Maybe we can plan a Bronco's on the dunes gathering next year?

Henry

clarrance

Bronco Guru
I could not find a voucher to get on the dunes sunday. Maybe we can plan a Bronco's on the dunes gathering next year?

Henry

I like the idea of a Bronco gathering. I am planning a trip to Silver Lake next summer with my Bronco anyway.

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
I guess the flags are required? I had a few buddies up there years ago. Do you know any of the Appletree gang? I was (still am) pretty involved with the VW race guys across the U.S. and there was a guy from Silver Lake that was called "Ice Man" he had two 4/71 blowers on a VW rail that ran in Indy once. I never saw him again, figured he went sand racing.

OP
OP
Hank_

Hank_

Bronco Guru
I guess the flags are required? I had a few buddies up there years ago. Do you know any of the Appletree gang? I was (still am) pretty involved with the VW race guys across the U.S. and there was a guy from Silver Lake that was called "Ice Man" he had two 4/71 blowers on a VW rail that ran in Indy once. I never saw him again, figured he went sand racing.

If you mean the guys at Appletree Automotive I use to know some of them there. I use to race at Silver Lake Dragway. I had a rail with a 2332 autocraft built motor with paddles. That was years ago though and I haven't been in Appletree in quite a while. And yes the flags are required on the front of your vehicle so people can see you coming over the hill.

Henry