• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

small block chevy in a eb

Broncobowsher

Total hack
this is fun! the ls1/4l80/4wd all from a gm truck will go right in if i make mounts,crossmember and driveshafts,stand alone trans computer and carb the 5.3

Then drive around in front wheel drive why you figure out how to make a 6" rear driveshaft work...

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Then drive around in front wheel drive why you figure out how to make a 6" rear driveshaft work...

That's easy, 10" extension a-la Tito's rig.

For kicks, you can call it an Omlet. <--- I think this is very clever

firefighter2134

Loc.
lincolnton, nc
we'll, ya'll weigh the cost to build a 10 sec. chevy aganist the cost to build the ford 302.
also i love chevys, but i have had a bronco for 30 years and it's been non running for most of that time because of the lump between the fenders.

if you compare the prices you can almost build 2 chebby engines compared to 1 ford engine.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I think you should buy a Blazer and improve it by swapping the Bronco body on top of the Chevy Chassis. At least when your done everyone will hate you the same. And when your done you can sell off all the parts to all the upset people and have enough money to buy a Jeep. Have fun with your project.

svobronco

Think I'm going to buy myself a '69 Camaro SS396 and put a 428SCJ in it.....see how you like it bitches....
I love all brands of trucks and muscle cars especially, but unless you are doing a Diesel conversion (or any swap into a Heep) stick with Fords in Fords, Chevys in Chevys, Dodges in Dodges, etc etc etc. It's just not natural or cool to inter-breed engines. Just cuz it fits, don't mean it's right.
I'd would like to see someone put a 3.5 EcoBoost into an EB....

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think you should buy a Blazer and improve it by swapping the Bronco body on top of the Chevy Chassis. At least when your done everyone will hate you the same. And when your done you can sell off all the parts to all the upset people and have enough money to buy a Jeep. Have fun with your project.

You know, that's actually not a bad idea. It may even be easier to do than swapping the drivetrain. Then you'd have full widths to boot!

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
we'll, ya'll weigh the cost to build a 10 sec. chevy aganist the cost to build the ford 302.
also i love chevys, but i have had a bronco for 30 years and it's been non running for most of that time because of the lump between the fenders.

And your point(s)? Chevy's are cheaper to build and more reliable.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
He has no point if you really price things out the cost is comparative. Once upon a time yes it was far more expensive to build fords but not today or really for the last 20 years.

of course then again if he's building 2 10sec ch#vy's for a total of 20 secs. that may explain why it cost him more to build a ford. once he figures out how to make those 10 sec ch#vys last longer he will firgure out the price is the same;D

Ranchtruck

SBC's and LS motors are two different things. One is a real upgrade in technology and potential over a Ford 302, the other is the same. The effort to do an LS swap is rewarded by the improvement over what could have been done with a sbFord. A sbChevy doesn't give you any advantage over a ford engine, and the "savings" on aftermarket parts will be canceled out by the extra cost of adapting and modifying things to get it in and working in the Ford chassis.

A 351w out of a 94-97 F-series or Bronco will usually be in great shape from a junkyard, and essentially bolts in. It will also give better drivability in a Early Bronco than a high-rpm 350 out of a 10sec drag car will.

Just because you have the motor doesn't make it a good idea to put it in. It would be cheaper to grab a 351w from a U-pull-it yard and plop it in, the resale value is maintained, and it will drive better.

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
Talk about a dance!%) teamsideways wasn't asking why or why not. He was asking for help with a project he wants to do.

This may help, it's the Chevy tool of choice!!:-X;D;D
4485414357_18dc95d398.jpg

Crewwzin

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Freeport, Fl
You can only go so far in the unique catagory. A ten-second drag motor is a fire-breathing monster on the drag strip, but absolutley useless in 90% of wheeling situations. Unless you are building a drag Bronco, then its perfect.

Be unique and build a 331 stroker instead of a 347...or put a triple duece carb setup on a 289...or do a built-to-tha-hilt 300 I6. All of which would be awesome in my book.

firefighter2134

Loc.
lincolnton, nc
I personally don't plan to put another brand of motor into my Bronco, however if we start making unique projects unwelcome, this forum is gonna get pretty boring. That is unless you are happy to only see cars just like yours all the time.

tis true. every bronco owner wants that little extra pop to be different than the next one.

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
SBC's and LS motors are two different things. One is a real upgrade in technology and potential over a Ford 302, the other is the same. The effort to do an LS swap is rewarded by the improvement over what could have been done with a sbFord. A sbChevy doesn't give you any advantage over a ford engine, and the "savings" on aftermarket parts will be canceled out by the extra cost of adapting and modifying things to get it in and working in the Ford chassis.

A 351w out of a 94-97 F-series or Bronco will usually be in great shape from a junkyard, and essentially bolts in. It will also give better drivability in a Early Bronco than a high-rpm 350 out of a 10sec drag car will.

Just because you have the motor doesn't make it a good idea to put it in. It would be cheaper to grab a 351w from a U-pull-it yard and plop it in, the resale value is maintained, and it will drive better.

x2

To the OP: If you read between the lines on all these posts, you'll see you aren't going to get any advice regarding this particular swap you're asking about. SBC swaps have been done, but it makes no sense to buy adapters and attach it to the stock tranny. You really are money ahead using a complete GM drivetrain.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
x2

To the OP: If you read between the lines on all these posts, you'll see you aren't going to get any advice regarding this particular swap you're asking about. SBC swaps have been done, but it makes no sense to buy adapters and attach it to the stock tranny. You really are money ahead using a complete GM drivetrain.

Its would be a good idea to get the whole front clip from the doner. That way you'll get the motor mounts and and cross member.