• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

small block chevy in a eb

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Well I cant believe this thread is still going on!:eek: If you want to do it got for it but dont expect to sell your bronco for what it could be worth if it had a Ford motor in it or get high fives from other Bronco owners. And as for being haters most members are not! We have a pasion for our Broncos and Fords. And feel a Ford should be powered by a Ford! Ford did a good job with there motors and there is no need to cross bread with a Chevy to get what you want. Be differant build a big block, flat head, or FE motor for your Bronco. Or go buck wild and do a Cummins, or Powerstroke swap! If you want your bronco to drive like a 1500 Chevy than go buy a 1500 Chevy! Sell your Bronco to someone who likes it for what it is! And I bet you wont get much love at any other Bronco or Ford site when you say what you want to do. Try Pirate they are really nice over there!%) Good luck!!

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
I came to this topic late but it is a fascinating one, at first I understand the shock of the subject, I think it would be the same thing if someone on a old K5 forum said hey I want to drop a 5.0 into a K5. But the thing I wonder is why is the subject so much more taboo then say a diesel swap. Neither GM or Ford build the diesels that we swap into our rigs. I mean Ford and Chevy both built diesels but no one is really choosing those diesels to do their swap. Most people are grabbing either Cummins or Isuzu engines and putting them in. I understand the rivalry issue but is it really so different from the diesel swaps. I know I have swapped diesels into my Scout and my K5 and have always got the "wow man what did you put in there" question. No one has ever said, dude you ruined that truck. I personally like the 350 out of all the gas engines. I really don't see the issue, if it's not stock it's not stock. I could understand the outrage at hacking up a concourse ride but lets face it at least 80% of our rides are resto-mods. I say have at it, it's what makes working on trucks so much fun. Every one of them is the owners creation. As for your question, I would swap drive trains as well, like someone else said, for the dime you will spend on adapters you could take the GM engine and tranny and just bolt it to an Atlas, it will save a lot of time over mating engine to a tranny it was never designed to bolt up to. The other thing is, by swapping engine and tranny together you can (if you want to) go to newer computer controlled equipment if you choose to, no need to get stand alone modules for the engine or the tranny.

Last edited:
OP
OP
teamsideways

teamsideways

Loc.
ruskin.fl
i have owned my bronco since 1981 if i was going to sell it i would have already done so.
i just ask for some help from people that my have knowlage about the swap,i know there are people on this site that have chevy powered broncos or know somebody that does,so i thought there might be intelligent input.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Stick around and soak up the knowledge. Fact is, there may be hundreds of chevy broncos, but they aren't here. You will not get much (constructive) advice on how to do the swap. You can glean some really useful info on how to do a mod here and there though.

I do agree with KLS, diesels are awesome, but any engine other than a ford is frowned on. Its not my money you are spending, and I won't be buying your bronco, so I really don't have a dog in the fight. Funny that the low rider bronco got a much better response, but then it could have been the way that guy handled the criticism. Grow some thicker skin, quit complaining and calling everyone a hater. Stick around and the next time someone asks this question, you can pipe up and offer helpful advice, and show that it can be done.

Lastly. There are a couple builds that come to mind that are more difficult than what you have proposed. 1. a 5.4 out of a Navigator. 2. a 5.0 explorer running OBDII. 3. The low rider broncos. You have a bigger challenge than dropping in a 4bt, but it definitely isn't most difficult build I've seen.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Teamsideways and blubuckaroo points are taken and of course the swap has been done. I was just responding to teamsideways saying we are all haters. and the fact is he will not get much info on the swap because it is not a popular one for Bronco lovers. Its your money and your bronco do with it what you like just dont expect alot of love for doing it. And if he sticks around and grows some thicker skin as lonesouth said he will get some info that may help him. There is a large article on page 20 of Bronco Driver issue#51 that talks about a guy that used a 1500 drive train and chassis and put a bronco body on it the article is called HALF BREED. As I said before GOOD LUCK!

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
I don't have any experience, but... plenty of people have done it.

The LS motor series is a very friendly family of motors to swap in & tons of support. So, really, I think besides making a few engine mounts and a tranny mount, you should have no issue. Just measure the length of the trans + transfercase and make sure it stays around the same as, or less than the 4r70w and D20, or something along those lines, and you should be fine. If you are looking for information as to what may fit, you should check out an S10 board or something like that where they would normally want to fit a LS1 V8 into a relatively small chassis vehicle. <-- that is intended to be helpful, not sarcastic.

You will get a few funny looks on this board, but ultimately, you should do what you want to do with it since it is your money. I agree that making a lowered 2wd EB is just as sacrilegious as putting in a bowtie motor, but at least it is what you wanted.

Post pics & good luck!

Eric

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
i have owned my bronco since 1981 if i was going to sell it i would have already done so.
i just ask for some help from people that my have knowlage about the swap,i know there are people on this site that have chevy powered broncos or know somebody that does,so i thought there might be intelligent input.

ok your crazy j/k contact Dale (Bowhunter) on here he has done the swap before. or may search for quarterhorse and find some info as well. oh yeah he got flack over it too but he should have some good insight for you

RustyShackelfor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Centerville, TN
I came to this topic late but it is a fascinating one, at first I understand the shock of the subject, I think it would be the same thing if someone on a old K5 forum said hey I want to drop a 5.0 into a K5. But the thing I wonder is why is the subject so much more taboo then say a diesel swap. Neither GM or Ford build the diesels that we swap into our rigs. I mean Ford and Chevy both built diesels but no one is really choosing those diesels to do their swap. Most people are grabbing either Cummins or Isuzu engines and putting them in. I understand the rivalry issue but is it really so different from the diesel swaps. I know I have swapped diesels into my Scout and my K5 and have always got the "wow man what did you put in there" question. No one has ever said, dude you ruined that truck. I personally like the 350 out of all the gas engines. I really don't see the issue, if it's not stock it's not stock. I could understand the outrage at hacking up a concourse ride but lets face it at least 80% of our rides are resto-mods. I say have at it, it's what makes working on trucks so much fun. Every one of them is the owners creation. As for your question, I would swap drive trains as well, like someone else said, for the dime you will spend on adapters you could take the GM engine and tranny and just bolt it to an Atlas, it will save a lot of time over mating engine to a tranny it was never designed to bolt up to. The other thing is, by swapping engine and tranny together you can (if you want to) go to newer computer controlled equipment if you choose to, no need to get stand alone modules for the engine or the tranny.

Most people look at diesels different because they are different. You can find a cummins in Ford, Dodge, etc... Ford used International engines, etc...

Blksheep1

Loc.
Rome
Add the cost off adapter custom radiator, wiring, and all the small parts just how much money do you think you are going to save? after you are done what you got a bronco that not easy to drive off road. this make no sense a stock ford eng works great off road or on so please dont ask for any no hating when you ask a insulting question. Unless thats the response you are looking for !!!!

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
to blksheep1 f*** o** a** w***

You're starting to enjoy this too much. Ignore the crap and pick out the useful information. I couldn't care less, only bitch I have with a Chev is the distributor is in the wrong place for an old man like me. Believe me, I've owned them all.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
its yours put whatever you want in it.....I wouldnt just bacause ford stuff fits ford stuff, dont forget a atlas still runs about 3k......have fun!