• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Spindle seals early/late style

JustinCA

Contributor
I’m installing the Wild Horses GM disc brake kit on my ‘72 Bronco. I’m at the point of installing the new spindles.

The spindles come with a seal pressed into it but the instructions say it should be removed for late axles. I’m assuming I have late axles because the axel I pulled out didn’t have that seal in it. I pried the heck out of it with a large screwdriver and it wouldn’t come out so was wondering if it was meant to come out.

Can someone confirm which axles I have and if I need to remove that seal?

Attaching some pics to help identify things. IMG_6080.jpeg IMG_6081.jpeg IMG_6079.jpeg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Your axle tells the tale.
The one in your second picture still has the old floating bellows seal around it. That proves that your old set up had the late model three-piece set up.
By three-piece, I mean, one tiny spindle bearing seal, one large “Bellows” seal, and a thrust washer.

To prove this, you can carefully remove the axle shaft from the housing, and try to insert it into your new spindle and seal.
If it won’t fit, then you must remove the seal from the spindle. No two ways about it.

I’m going to have to double check, but because there’s really no reason for us to install the seal ahead of time, my assumption at this point is that the spindles we source come with the seal already installed.
If that’s the case, then obviously we have to leave it, or risk destroying it by removing it. No sense in that!
For your part, if you do end up removing it, (which I think you will) you may need a seal puller. Screwdrivers can work. But as you found out, they’re not always optimal or easy.
They can be borrowed from most auto parts stores these days. Or bought for a minimal amount.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Actually, your spindle tells the tale as well. It looks to have been kept mostly clean by the seal we’ve been discussing.
And I can’t tell from here if the old spindle seal is still installed or not. You might reach into the small hole and see if you are touching the back of the spindle bearing, or if there’s a little rubbery material still there.
If so, pull it out to replace with the new one. But make note of which way it was installed.

OP
OP
JustinCA

JustinCA

Contributor
This is super helpful, thanks, @DirtDonk. Is this the bellows seal? It’s what I thought the instructions were referring to, but not totally sure.
IMG_6096.jpeg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes. It floats on the axle flange between the spindle and the slinger.
Do you have the plastic or bronze thrust washer also? The thrust washer goes onto the axle shaft first, and then that seal in your hand.
They don’t really interfere with each other, so I guess I shouldn’t really say that one is before the other.
The slinger isn’t always there, but usually if the axle is unmolested, there is still a slinger pressed on. The thrust washer only goes on one way and you’ll be able to tell.
There’s a bevel in the inner circumference that slides over the curvature of the machined area I forget what that particular point is called, but engineers, and people with better memories will know the geometry name.
If you try to put the thrust washer on backwards, it won’t seat all the way against the flange.
You can look at your axle to see how they had the old seal oriented, but I believe the thick portion goes towards the differential, and the flappy portion goes towards the spindle.

OP
OP
JustinCA

JustinCA

Contributor
To be honest, I didn’t even know “slingers” were a thing before your reply. :)

I have these plastic washers and smaller rubber ones.

Thanks again for your help with this @DirtDonk, incredibly helpful.
IMG_6101.jpeg IMG_6102.jpeg IMG_6100.jpeg