• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stak/Atlas

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I see that the STAK box needs an electronic cable and you will have to buy an electronic speedo to make it work? Only is that I have heard that the E-speedo are junk! Not to mention I think they look like ASS! Kinda makes me rethink the whole STAK thing%)

Is there a way to use the stock speedo with the STAK? Too, does the Atlas need the same thing or can you stick with the stock speedo?

thanks Ben

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i know with an atlas you can use the stock spedo cable. you need to get a screw on end put on it because they use the jeep dana 300 speedo assembly on it.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
I kinda like the GPS sppedo BCB sells

DSCF3591.JPG

bigpappa

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gardendale Al
DonsBolt said:
I kinda like the GPS sppedo BCB sells

DSCF3591.JPG

I agree then you do not have to worry about adjusting speedo gears when you change tire size. Of course then you can not blame tickets on the speedo either. ;D

Triggerman

Loc.
Henderson TN
No, there is no way to run a stock mechanical speedo with the Stak case. What electronic speedos have you heard are junk?

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
There was a thread here awhile back and they were complaining the older and newer versions being sold from the bronco vendors. I like the e-speedo that chuck sells but I don't care to hack my dash in order to make it work.

thanks

Ben

bob_lafrentz

Loc.
Cody, WY
Hey bigmuddy,

I have the atlas and love it! I am using the stock speedo also. When I installed it, I used Wildhorses cable. Worked great. Since I am running EFI, I also used their VSS. All good. I'd do it this way again.

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
Sorry to bring this up after so long, but I am trying to make some decisions for the future of my bronco. I was leaning towards the STaK because Chuck at BC's liked it just a hare better, but I don't remember his reasoning. However, I am starting to think things thru more. I understand the STaK cannot be clocked up to above the bottom of the frame. Can the Atlas? I just ripped off my tranny mount/skid last weekend, so I am realizing the value of breakover angle and clearance.

P3170298.jpg

I just installed Chuck's ZF mount and re-did the exhaust and am ready to rock again, but I know a lower geared T-case is in my near future.

J.D.

av8rds

MAhole!
Loc.
2300 mi East of Moab
I understand the STaK cannot be clocked up to above the bottom of the frame. Can the Atlas?

I tried to do it when I put in my 4sp but I'd have to say no. I was planning on notching the frame to allow it but my measurements told me I was going to run into the drivers side floor pan with the top of the T-case before I ever got it up high enough to make the effort worth it. Just fyi I have a 2" body lift.

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
av8rds - I saw your post with pictures. Can you tell me how far the Atlas hangs down? I understand that the STaK hanges down about the same as the stock D20 (about 3-4"). I also have a 2" BL. Thanks!

J.D.

av8rds

MAhole!
Loc.
2300 mi East of Moab
I can measure it when I get home but just guessing...thats 1 3/4" tube in the picture and there is about 1" gap to the frame so I'm guessing almost 3 inches to the bottom of the tube. Its actually about 5/8" or so up to the transfer case to allow room for a skidplate. I think I have mine clocked up one more notch than toddz. I'm on the second of the four possible holes. I think they are 6 degrees a piece.

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
I just researched this and the electric only speedo was the deal killer on the STAK. FWIW, here is a company that makes an electrical to mechanical adaptor for speedometers http://www.abbott-tach.com/cablex.htm. It's $300. The output on the Atlas can be configured for whichever speedo type you have.

ctowery

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wellington Nevada
I can get you guys that want to use a mechanical speedometer, stock or aftermarket, with your STax a digital to mech converter box.

So if you want a STak and this is keeping you from getting one your problem is over.

PM or e-mail me for prices.

Cary

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Here is a couple of pictures of my stak in my EB. It hangs down but no more than the radius arm mounts.
About the digital gauges, a couple of people had defective gauges but most of the problem were from the installer not making good grounds or wrong/bad connections. I have the first Nordskog digital cluster in my EB and it still works grear. Very accurate.

Attachments

• small3842.jpg
    small3842.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 98
OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Ctowery, oh sure you come up with that now that the mass buy is over 8-(

Just joking, good to know it's out there. That was the one thing that kept me from jumping on the STAK buy last time.

Ben

ctowery

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wellington Nevada
Ctowery, oh sure you come up with that now that the mass buy is over 8-(

Just joking, good to know it's out there. That was the one thing that kept me from jumping on the STAK buy last time.

Ben

I just found out yesterday! If you want a STax I get ya one at the MB price;)

Cary

NeverSatisfied

Loc.
Spring, TX
after installing my 4speed nestled up there between the frame rails, there's no question on the one to go with. The atlas 4sp can be clocked flat between the rails. You just have to "open up" the front engine mount holes just slightly so you can "cock" the drivetrain a hair and clock the atlas flat. The fit is AWESOME and you'd never know the drivetrain is on an angle. i'll see if I can get a picture in my gallery. it's a little deceptive from the picture but that sucker is flat and there's about 1/4" of clearance at the frame.