• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stak/Atlas

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
after installing my 4speed nestled up there between the frame rails, there's no question on the one to go with. The atlas 4sp can be clocked flat between the rails. You just have to "open up" the front engine mount holes just slightly so you can "cock" the drivetrain a hair and clock the atlas flat. The fit is AWESOME and you'd never know the drivetrain is on an angle. i'll see if I can get a picture in my gallery. it's a little deceptive from the picture but that sucker is flat and there's about 1/4" of clearance at the frame.

Pics please! Mine isn't clocked flat but it doesn't hang that far below the frame. I've been considering reworking my crossmember mounting just a bit so I can move the t-case away from the frame a bit (mine is REALLY close but doesn't seem to have been a problem yet).

Todd Z.

NeverSatisfied

Loc.
Spring, TX
... when I mean flat, I mean I have it clocked so it is flat across the frame rails. The atlas itself is still on an angle. The rear output is about where it was on the D20. I just took a deburring tool and ovalized the holes in the engine mounts for the bolts that are verticle when installed. It only took a touch on that end to gain about 1.5" on the ass-end.

For some reason it won't post the picture I submitted in the gallery

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
Does anyone know of any clearance issues with mounting the Atlas to a ZF? I know the STaK has issues there. And what about a mount? Did you guys fab up your own? Is one required? Thanks!

J.D.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
... when I mean flat, I mean I have it clocked so it is flat across the frame rails. The atlas itself is still on an angle. The rear output is about where it was on the D20. I just took a deburring tool and ovalized the holes in the engine mounts for the bolts that are verticle when installed. It only took a touch on that end to gain about 1.5" on the ass-end.

For some reason it won't post the picture I submitted in the gallery

I just need about 1/4" so I was going to try and move things over by loosening the bolts and seeing if I had enough slop that way.

Todd Z.

av8rds

MAhole!
Loc.
2300 mi East of Moab
Todd,

I'm sure you do. I had loosened the engine mounts when I put mine in and I had a couple of inches of slop at the rear of the transfer case. You'll just have to work with your tranny mount to find some space there

MsMyMny

Loc.
So Cal
If you are making a TC choice based on gear ratios vs. cost the Atlas wins.
$2600 gets you a Stak with 5.44:1 or $200 more gets you an Atlas IV with a 10.34:1 ratio.

Scott
ABCO

av8rds

MAhole!
Loc.
2300 mi East of Moab
actually I paid QUITE a bit less than $2600 through Kincade(I dont want to publish his price in case he doesnt want it out there) AND I didnt have to buy new adapters from the tranny like I would have had to if I went stak.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Todd,

I'm sure you do. I had loosened the engine mounts when I put mine in and I had a couple of inches of slop at the rear of the transfer case. You'll just have to work with your tranny mount to find some space there

That's good to hear. I know what I need to do to modify my crossmember just a teeny bit for everything to work right. Just curious if I was going to get any slop by loosening the mounts or not.

I'll do this little mod in my down time between the Stampede (this weekend) and Fab Fords next month.

Todd Z.

av8rds

MAhole!
Loc.
2300 mi East of Moab
hmmm now that I think about it thats what must have stopped my 'play' when i was pushing it towards the pass side, the valve cover hitting the firewall.

av8rds

MAhole!
Loc.
2300 mi East of Moab
I'd like to look more into this next winter-now that I finally wrapped it up for this year, as I wanted it above the frame rails but that would require re-doing everything I have already done plus probably using a BFH on the firewall. I'm a little concerned over the off set of the CV joint in a compound angle configuration.

Neversatisified what kind of angle sideways does that put on the CV/driveshaft? I'm guessing a couple of degrees wouldnt be bad

Last edited:

ctowery

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wellington Nevada
Does anyone know of any clearance issues with mounting the Atlas to a ZF? I know the STaK has issues there. And what about a mount? Did you guys fab up your own? Is one required? Thanks!

J.D.

What issues? It bolts right up except for those that have a longer output shaft, then you use a 1" adapter.

Cary

ctowery

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wellington Nevada
If you are making a TC choice based on gear ratios vs. cost the Atlas wins.
$2600 gets you a Stak with 5.44:1 or $200 more gets you an Atlas IV with a 10.34:1 ratio.

Scott
ABCO

Bigger $$ than that;) Just how often will you NEED 10.34?

I have yet found a need...I do have a auto;D

Cary

av8rds

MAhole!
Loc.
2300 mi East of Moab
Bigger $$ than that;) Just how often will you NEED 10.34?

I have yet found a need...I do have a auto;D

Cary

actually its not $$ more than the stak..its less....but as to the 10.34, in another thread there was a couple of replies that its actually pretty useful. I havent 'wheeled mine yet but I can say around the yard playing that, well, I'm going to use it a lot more than I thought. Its very slow(but really not as slow as I thought actually) and controlable. Its going to PERFECT for high traction situations. Lower traction, well, not so much, as you cant get any wheel spin. I can picture a bunch of places in Paragon, and Moab that it would be great, Tellico on the other hand is another story. So I guess its what you plan on using it for. I bought the atlas for the 2.7 and the 3.8. The 10.3 was just a 'bonus' that I think I'm gonna love

NeverSatisfied

Loc.
Spring, TX
I'm not sure you could clock the whole driveline with a 351. My valve cover only has like 3/16" or less clearance now!

I'm willing to bet even with 3/16" of clearance you could make it work and still clear the firewall. I bet the motor doesn't end up pivoting more than 1/8" to equate to 1.5" at the tail.

NeverSatisfied

Loc.
Spring, TX
I'm a little concerned over the off set of the CV joint in a compound angle configuration.

A CV is a constant velocity joint. It doesn't care if it's cocked to the side a few degrees-- it still runs smoothe. 1/2 ton 9" rear-ends have the chunk offset to one side from the factory-- all the pickups out there with 9's had their driveshafts in a compound angle and they seemed to do OK.

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
What issues? It bolts right up except for those that have a longer output shaft, then you use a 1" adapter.

Cary

The shifter clearance issue mating to the ZF. I don't know what the interefere is until I look at Chucks bronco, but I know there is one.

J.D.

av8rds

MAhole!
Loc.
2300 mi East of Moab
A CV is a constant velocity joint. It doesn't care if it's cocked to the side a few degrees-- it still runs smoothe. 1/2 ton 9" rear-ends have the chunk offset to one side from the factory-- all the pickups out there with 9's had their driveshafts in a compound angle and they seemed to do OK.

I understand CV is constant velocity joint. I was unaware of the factory using it in that application and it just seemed to me in my non-engineering mind that the compound angles would affect it. If not at least cause some driveline vibration.

Frankenhorse

Loc.
Smyrna,TN
The shifter clearance issue mating to the ZF. I don't know what the interefere is until I look at Chucks bronco, but I know there is one.

J.D.

Well if they ever finish with the cable shifter you won't have an issue anymore.%) ;D

As far as which one is better.........It seems to be personal preference. They are both stout and I believe both will be able to tuck up tight. I went with the Stak from a conversation I had with Chuck at BC and from the Stak people themselves. It still was a close decision.

Doesn't Autometer sell a converter from digital to analog?