• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stak Mini install

redrocks

Loc.
Riverton. UT
Has anyone installed a new Stak Mini Box? I am in the middle of installing one in a 76 with a c4 and have a coulpe questions. Is it normal for the intermediate housing to have tranny fluid pooled in the bottom? Next; to get the clocking ring flush against the intermediate housing I will need to remove the stud at the top of the housing, any idea on how to get this out? Has anyone used the shifters that come with the 3 speed stak successfully?

Last edited:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Welcome aboard. Trans fluid is normal in the housing. The trans/tc seal is at the aft end of the housing in the bearing retainer. The alignment pin should just be lightly pressed in. A good pair of vise grips would get it out.

OP
OP
redrocks

redrocks

Loc.
Riverton. UT
Thank you for the reply. I thought vise grips would do the trick then I moved to BIG Channel locks and a Pry bar....Still struggling.

OP
OP
redrocks

redrocks

Loc.
Riverton. UT
The pin is hardened, I ground flat spots on 3 sides and still cannot turn or budge. Any thoughts before I spend the rest of the day trying to cut it off?

OP
OP
redrocks

redrocks

Loc.
Riverton. UT
Welcome aboard. Trans fluid is normal in the housing. The trans/tc seal is at the aft end of the housing in the bearing retainer. The alignment pin should just be lightly pressed in. A good pair of vise grips would get it out.

What bearing retainer? All I see at the aft end of the housing is a big hole the transfer case slides in and the output shaft. I assume the transfer case is sealed to prevent the transfer of fluids. Am I confused?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The retainer is in the input hole of the Dana 20. I imagine the Stak has a similar seal at the front.

OsideDave

I installed a StaK mini onto a C4. Nothing mini about these things. Yes, you have to remove pin. After trying many things I finally ground a few flats onto pin then hammered an impact socket over the pin, I believe 1/2", and used impact gun to slowly spin it out with lots of WD-40.

FYI, I now have a small leak at intermediate housing and Stak, I suggest researching how to fix this before final install, gasket perhaps.

OP
OP
redrocks

redrocks

Loc.
Riverton. UT
Osidedave,
Nice job! I am planning on welding a 9/16 nut to the dowel and use an impact wrench. I have already ground flat and rounded off several times today with every tool in the garage. The only time I could get someone at stak to return a call it was the old " Should bolt right up" speech.......did you install yours without a body lift? I have 1" and it looks like I will be doing some floor mods as well.It looks like you needed to trim the crossmember: have you had any rubbing? Did you try to use the shifters from Stak before switching to cables?

OsideDave

I have no body lift, I feel that its possible with 1" body lift you may be able to get away with only minor trimming on the floorboard. Start with small holes only if needed, that way you don't have to fab large trans tunnel. I should mention that while I was disappointed in cutting a huge hole in my floor it sure makes it easier to work on things if needed. Hooking up shifters and adjusting shifters would be impossible without hole.

I tried trimming original crossmember but I wanted to clock Stak up high so I had to fab a new CS, take a look at pics to see new CS.

I tried playing with Stak shifters a little after 2 or the 3 shifter cables broke (later found out they had bad crimps from factory) and you can angle the shifters to the right therefore not being in the way of right leg but it seem more work was needed to get all thread, joints and linkage to work. Since I already spent the money on the cable shifters I decided to give them another try. See BCB website, you can see a pic of theirs installed with ZF and shifters come out of floorboard near right front corner of drivers seat. Maybe worth trying since they are free.

OsideDave

When installing use a trans jack and put the C4 and Stak in separately. I tried putting them in to bolted together but it was too much to handle by myself. Lay a 4"x4" block of wood on trans jack and place Stak onto it and chain it down. The wood almost sets the angle needed for clocking it at the highest position. You can use a bottle jack to raise the clocking if needed and get bolts started. Be prepared to try this multiple times until you are happy with clearance, clocking height, crossmember fits, etc...

I used original crossmember to help with setting correct heights and level.

If I think of more I will post it up. Might as well before I forget it forever, :cool:

A&Mbronco

Loc.
Houston,TX
Hey OsideDave, from looking at your pics its a bit hard to tell but could the mini box be clocked up flat without notching the frame?

OsideDave

Hey OsideDave, from looking at your pics its a bit hard to tell but could the mini box be clocked up flat without notching the frame?

Yes, it can go higher and will not hit frame. I think mine is at highest position with the clocking ring in factory position. The ring can be moved and you can gain higher clocking. My concerns about going higher was cutting bigger hole in floor (no body lift), e-brake will have to be relocated, mine now does anyhow, and front drive shaft angle. Mine does hangs down about the same distance as radius arm mounts.

OP
OP
redrocks

redrocks

Loc.
Riverton. UT
OsideDave.
I welded a nut to the dowel, applied pressure with a delicate 2 foot ratchet and promptly sheared the pin....After soakin two days in PB. I ended up using a die grinder an a cutoff wheel to cut the dowel and then ground it flat. That was so much fun I can't wait to attack the shifters! Thanks for the input, I will keep in touch.

ctowery

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wellington Nevada
Glad you got it fixed ..after your phone call I was worried about you cracking the case..

Dave, did you return the shifter cables and get the new ones?

Cary

OsideDave

Cary, NWF sent new cables at no charge other than me paying shipping to return first set of cables.

OP
OP
redrocks

redrocks

Loc.
Riverton. UT
The transfer case is in! Just a note...It would hace been buch easier to install the studs on the ground as opposed to after I rtv'd the housing. I have been trying to contact NWF to order cables because it will be a much cleaner install but I have not heard back from them. I hope this is ready by the end of the month as we are heading to the Holy Cross trail in Colorado.Thank you all for your assistance.

OsideDave

I ordered my cable shifters through Cary. Give him a call, knowledgeable on broncos.

blwngsket

Loc.
Novato
NWF seems to be a one man show of sorts. Had small issues with my order and call backs cause the guy is just so busy. 2nd try on the phone and my stuff was on the way. Very happy with my triple stick cable shifter.
And those "mini" boxes are huge. Very cool though.