• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Starter help with 4r70w swap

desertguy76

Loc.
Norco, California
I am confused about the starter for this swap and sadly i have never installed one before. I just got the trans installed and mounted and I was going to install the starter i bought but I am not sure how this works. I read that the starter gear plunges out but how do i make sure it is aligned and that it is the correct starter. The distance from the case to the back of the flex plate is 3/4" and the starter i ordered says it is for 3/4" deep flex plates. The gear on the starter sticks out 1/2" now will it plunge out another 1/2" to meet up with the gears on the flex plate?

Last edited:

doran4x

Contributor
The starter for the 302 / 5.0 is the same for C4 and 4R70W.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

desertguy76

Loc.
Norco, California
The starter for the 302 / 5.0 is the same for C4 and 4R70W.

I think I am over thinking it and I figured out how to pull the gear out and it does look like it will work. However directions say to mount it and then engage gear and set back lash. How do you do that once it is installed

Broncobowsher

Total hack
What starter do you have?

Since you are questioning everything, what flexplate do you have?

doran4x

Contributor
99.99% of the starters out the don’t require shimming. I was running a ‘69 302 with C4 and Mean Green hi torque starter. Switched to ‘92 5.0 with same trans, then the 5.0 with 4R70. Same starter for the last 18 years with no issues.