• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Starter help?!

Koda

got a new mini starter from summitt and the gears are chewed up, wonderful sound that makes?!?
I have a 302 with nv3550
used the same bellhousing cover as came with the engine
164 tooth flywheel

any thoughts?
thanks

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
What's the source & PN for the starter? Post a link to it so we can see what you bought.

Put ALL your truck's details in your signature so they show with every post automatically. My signature is NOT an example, but you can find good ones in other threads here.

OP
OP
K

Koda

tried finding the same starter and was unable to...got it somewhere in my paperwork
regardless, the starter grinding occurred not just while starting, I suspect that the starter did not disengage....but if that happened wouldnt the starter just burn out...something wasnt meshing well

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Funny, I mean funny, ewwwww, I just had this thought last night, did I put an auto or a manual starter in?

Seems the Mean green starter comes in automatic or manual versions. Maybe yours does as well.

Thanks Jayson for calming my fears, he was able to find the one I bought, a manual for my nv4500.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
With the new starter, are you running the original fender mounted relay still, or did you eliminate that and your ignition switch wire goes directly to the solenoid on the new starter?

Paul