• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Starting Issue

bgs26

Loc.
Eunice, LA
Today I went to crank the Bronco. Turned the key and heard sort of a buzzing or clicking, but not the type of clicking as in a dead battery. I got my wife to turn the key while I had my head in the engine compartment and noticed the buzzing coming from the solenoid. Assumed the solenoid was bad so I went get a new one. Put the new one on and exact same thing? What the hell? Help please.

OP
OP
bgs26

bgs26

Loc.
Eunice, LA
By the way, I cranked it yesterday with no problem. That was the first time it was cranked in over a year. The battery shows over 12 volts with my meter.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Clean your battery connections epecailly the ground both at the battery and the engine. If that doesnt do it I would suspect your battery took a dump.

Trapperbob10

Just went throught the same problem with '71. Replaced parts thinking starter, starter relay and battery were the problems. Turned out to be the neg battery cable was the problem.

Replaced that and was good to go

helo-mech

I have seen the terminal on the battery being loose do this. Disconnect cables and see if terminal has any lateral movement at the base as you move it by hand. Also I would try to start it with a known good battery (wifes car?) before I started changing more parts. Might have worked great yesterday but if it sat for over a year maybe the cycle yesterday killed a cell or two?

OP
OP
bgs26

bgs26

Loc.
Eunice, LA
No I haven't had a chance to mess with it with work. I may try this weekend if I get a break. I will post up when I know something.

gslack

Loc.
Colorado Springs
well if you have an electric fuel pump it could have been the fuel pump buzzing, if a solenoid is bad theyll usually smoke(i love first hand experiences) and if your parked up a hill fuel can flow back down on a mechanical fuel pump from the en gine back into the gas tank. also another problem is that when its hot fuel can get evaporated out of a carb due to the ethanol content into days gas. on early broncos, for instance my 69. the started is under the bronco and the solenoid is in the engine compartment. so maybe try replacing the starter too?

OP
OP
bgs26

bgs26

Loc.
Eunice, LA
Today I cleaned my battery posts and cables. Cleaned every connection that could have been the culprit. Still the same problem. Checked the voltage on the battery and still has 12v. Pulled the cable from the starter and turned the key to see if the same noise would occur. It didn't. Only one click from the solenoid. Pulled the starter and got it tested. Guess what...FAIL! Naturally the parts store didn't have one so I have to order one. Hopefully that is my only problem.