• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stay with my 302 or get a bigger engine?

73Blue

Loc.
Tahoe City
I have a 1973.
I want to hear your opinions on whether I should rebuild my 302 or put a bigger engine in.
PROS and CONS
If bigger what engine would work the best.
Thanks

suthernboy

Loc.
Greenville, NC
I think that would depend on what you are going to do with it. There's guys on here that can give lots of advice but they'll probly need to know some specifics about your current rig and where you wanna take it.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Hi and Welcome to Classic Broncos!!!

Just about the time I had decided the easiest thing to do was to stay with my 302, a 351W fell into my lap... Been running the 351W for the last 12-13 years.

For more CID, the easiest swap by far is the 351W. Same motor mounts as the 289/302, same bellhousing bolt pattern, same front dress. It is a physically larger motor, with an inch taller deck height, so there are some things that need to be taken into consideration. But all the big stuff bolts right up.

But as has been said, your usage of the Bronco will determine what engine you choose.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Since you are thinking about it, you want it.
351W. Bolts right in. Cost less than doing a stroker in a 302 block. Besides the engineering of the 351 is a lot better as well. Plenty of people will tell you how much they love there 347s, if you spent that much on an engine you had better love it. Or at least convince yourself that you do. I've had both a stoked 5.0 and a 351, built both engines. Know the insides. 351 is the better choice in a Bronco.

And if that isn't enough, you can stroke the 351 into some really big numbers.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I'm in the process of upgrading to a 351W to replace my old tired 302. Rebuild cost for both is really the same. If you go roller equipped 351W then you can reuse the cam and lifters which will save you a few bucks on a rebuild. Buying a 351W is cheap if you do it right. I bought a running driving 96 E350 van for $800. Pulled the 351W and parted out the van (still in progress) and as of now counting scrap value of the van, I bought my complete running 351W for $35. I also got a complete wiring harness from the van I'm going to convert from Speed Density to Mass Air when I go EFI.

Crate engines are also an option. 302 and 351W are about the same price if you look at stock builds.

If you go 351w, I would suggest a 1 inch body lift. Got mine from WH

Tim

OP
OP

73Blue

Loc.
Tahoe City
Appreciate all the quick replays.
As far as use - nothing too hard core, mainly desert/mountain logging roads.
Like the idea of more power but not at the expense of enjoying on the vehicle both on and off road and going into crazy modification costs.
If I do go with the 351 where is a good source.
Thanks

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
If I do go with the 351 where is a good source.

Craigslist, local junk yards, etc. for a used engine. For a crate you can find them direct form the manufacture or from a reseller such as Summit, Jeg's and the likes.

I would go with a roller cam equipped engine but that's just my personal preference. 94-96 F series and vans.

I have the facilities to do the rebuild myself. The machine work on the block cost me $487 and I did the heads myself.

Tim

TN1776

Bronco Guru
There's no replacement for cubic inch displacement!
Built similarly, a 351w will produce more torque than a 302. What size tires are you running (or planning to run)? What kind of gearing are you running?

The 351w is almost a bolt in, as was discussed. It is physically larger both in height and width but the EB engine bay will accept both nicely. A body lift helps - there are well documented interferences without the body lift (some have had to notch their firewall, etc). I run a 2" body lift - even at that, when I ran a carburetor I had to get a dropped-base air cleaner and could only run a 2" tall element under my stock hood.
Exhaust will have to be altered so if your exhaust is good and you were planning to keep it, that's another cost to consider (the manifolds/headers will have to be spaced farther apart).
If you have a manual transmission and want to keep the stock clutch linkage, a little grinding on the block and a small adapter will be needed to make it all play together.
Accessory brackets are basically interchangeable but if running v-belts there's a slight change there (another little adapter). If you change to a serpentine system then the options are limitless - the explorer front dress is popular as it gives you a little more clearance between water pump and radiator, though if you use a mechanical fuel pump on your 302, you'll lose the pump eccentric and have to run an electric pump. Other serpentine systems don't affect that.
There are other minor changes that I can't think of at the moment, but all are worth it for the power-for-dollar advantages of the 351w.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Well I chose a 351W 25 years ago.
I have "never" regretted it.
Did it because the Duff catalog made a good arguement for the swap.
It really is the obvious choice.
It is actually better suited to the eb than the 302.
In an offroad vehicle it is usually all about low rpm torque and the Windsors longer stroke facilitates low rpm torque very well.
Mmmm.....torque....

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I'm a fan of keeping things as stock looking as possible so I installed a 351 with no body lift and a stock hood. It helps to use the '69 Mustang 351 4bbl intake, stock exhaust manifolds, and the stock air cleaner. Nobody who looked under the hood, including EB owners, has noticed that there is no 289 or 302 in there. The low end torque seems to be twice what it was with the 302. The fuel mileage is better. With a good radiator, there's no over heating. The only fit issue is the intake coming close to the fire wall, but not hitting. So, yes I recommend the 351.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:D:D:D 351W is the way to go. Even if it is stock it will have more torque than the 289/302. Good luck with your choice. ;D;D;D Bill ;D:cool::D

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have done both swaps.

The 347 option drops right in with No mods and looks as stock as can be. Nice increase in power and torque.

The 351w takes some careful measuring and mock-up to clear the stock hood without body lift, but can be done. 1" body lift helps to clear. Greater increase in torque at low RPMs and can be made to look completely stock as well.

Both of my EBs have 351Ws with F4TE Roller Blocks.