• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering Gear Box

jbtherat

Loc.
Houston
I have a steering gear box, RF-D7TC-3550-CA. I was told it came from a '79 F150 4x4. Hopefully that is true. I'm sceptical of the "7" in the part code. Did Ford manufacture these in '77 and still use on 1979. After researching, I haven't found a diffinative answer. Does anyone have a different code?
This is has a 2-bolt cover.
Any help will be appreciated.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Post a picture. We do better with what it looks like instead of numbers.

I would say it is possible. I recently got a '77 F250 and looking up parts for it is a pain. There were a LOT of mid year changes done in '77. I pretty much need to know the serial number because of the changes. And they were not all done at once. Lots of little running changes. Good thing I don't need that much for that truck.

OP
OP
jbtherat

jbtherat

Loc.
Houston
See photos below

Attachments

• IMG_0235.jpg
    IMG_0235.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_0237.jpg
    IMG_0237.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0239.jpg
    IMG_0239.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 211

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That box was used from 76-79 on the 4wd F150. The part number doesn't correspond with a manufacturing date it corresponds with a engineering revision date. The only real difference during those years is the pitman arm. 76-77 used a pitman arm with a ball joint in the arm but those are interchangeable between boxes as well.

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don't use that pitman arm unless you consider steering optional. That thing is a death wish.