• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stiff power steer when in first gear!

editgod@hotmail

Loc.
LA
Hey Guys,

So I cant remember when I first got this problem but I have just started driving my '73 again after the winter Cali break and wanted to get to the bottom of an old problem.

Basically when I floor the gas from stopped or when my tranny is using 1st gear my steering goes all stiff and impossible to steer. If I am going about 30/40 mph and then floor the gas my steering still works fine so I dont think its rpm related but then I could be wrong as i am not mechanically inclined... but it only does it when I floor the gas, if I drive like miss daisy I have no issues.

I have attached some photos below incase it helps, its a 73 with I think a WH conversion.

Thanks.

Guy

Attachments

• IMG00203-20100216-2116.jpg
    IMG00203-20100216-2116.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG00205-20100216-2116.jpg
    IMG00205-20100216-2116.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 47

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
My guess would be that either the pressure relief valve in the pump is opening at the higher RPM's or the seals in the control section of the steering box when a lot of pressure is applied.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Engine (chassis) torque causing something to bind up? Linkage, steering shaft?
Doubt it, but something to look at.

OP
OP
E

editgod@hotmail

Loc.
LA
Hey Guys,
So I did have a nut lose on a hose going into the back of my steering box but no signs of any fluid coming out.
Having driven it for a week it no longer stiffs up completely but is still harder to turn if I floor the accelerator from stopped. I forget is this normal for everybody else too ?

G

bajabronc

Loc.
West Hollywood
It is not normal, I have never had that prob with any of the power steering setups I have had on both of my rigs - stock pump, saganaw pump, stock box, and F150 box.

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
first things first guy, have you checked the belt tension?

Check the pulley also. It might be that it needs to be roughed up with some sand paper/emory cloth to get the belt to "stick" better down in the groove. I have had this problem with my alternator belt before.

OP
OP
E

editgod@hotmail

Loc.
LA
My guess would be that either the pressure relief valve in the pump is opening at the higher RPM's or the seals in the control section of the steering box when a lot of pressure is applied.

Broncnaz Im still having issues. How much grief is it to change these seals you talk about about above, does it involve cracking open the whole box ?

It looks like a TBP's box, they dont have the seals separately but did say its a Saginaw.

Is there anything else it could be, steering column bearings or something ????

thanks.

Guy

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Probably a delphi box I guess used to be part of saginaw or was saginaw. rebuild kits should be availible just not sure what you'd have to ask for. But really if its only having issues when your mashing the throttle I would consider the seals in the box as a last resort. As you do have to pretty much terar down the whole box to replace every seal.
I would still look at it being RPM related as when in first gear you can quickly hit 4000 rpm. Going from 30/40 miles an hour(2nd or 3rd) to WOT is not quite as bad as the steering pump is already spinning and probably not over building pressure due to the slower rise of pump rpm's. You could try loosening the PS belt so it slips just a little when the throttle is qiuckly opened that may tell you for sure if its a pressure issue.

Bundy

Bronco Guru
i have the same issue, i am with Ben and Viperwolf on the belt tension.

in my year of bronco trouble shooting i have learned to always go with the easiest fix first.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
A local buddy had the same issue and it ended up that the upper colum bushing was worn and when the body flexed it pulled the grant steering wheel adapter cover into the column. He also didn't have a collapsable lower steering shaft.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got pics of the linkage down under too Guy? And the column shaft setup too, while you're at it.

Paul

OP
OP
E

editgod@hotmail

Loc.
LA
Hey guys
So I tried loosening the belt yesterday but still had the same problem when I took it out today. However one thing i did notice today was then when the transmission is in park and the revs are at 3/4000 it turns perfectly and this sounds like a similar issue to what Bronko69er has heard of and why it only does it when Im driving.

The other day i was driving up a steep hill and the steering was once again stiff, when i tried to steer it it started to squeak which puzzled me why I was hearing a loud squeak in the cab when we all think the problem is the power steer box, surely its too far away from me in the cab to make it feel like the squeak is close by, If it was the upper column bushing thats gone bad then it might be the answer.

I just rushed outside and took some pics. If you look closely at 'Upper 2 and 5' the bearings are clearly visible, It would look like that they are gone and could be the root of my problems ? Also do i need to get an collapsable shaft ?

Thoughts.

Guy

Attachments

• Upper5.jpg
    Upper5.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Upper4.jpg
    Upper4.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Upper3.jpg
    Upper3.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Upper2.jpg
    Upper2.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 13
  • Upper1.jpg
    Upper1.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Lower3.jpg
    Lower3.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 8
  • Lower2.jpg
    Lower2.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Lower1.jpg
    Lower1.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 8

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Looks like you've found the issue shouldnt be able to see the bearings. You dont need a collaspeable shaft. But they do make things easier. I wouldnt bother unless you are going to install a body lift.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Theres 2 bearings one near the bottom of the column like in your picture and another one under the steering wheel.
If the bottom one is shot more than likely the top is shot as well.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
After seeing pics of you steering shaft, and lack of a collapsable lower shaft, I'm almost certain that accelleration induced body flex is causing bind in the shaft/column.

Last edited: