• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock Ride shock preference

ledslinger29

What do you guys prefer? I’ve got no suspension lift and may occasionally find some mud, but nothing hardcore. Truck mostly goes to the beer store and the deer lease, can get muddy but I avoid it when I can, I’m beyond the stage of my life where I enjoyed breaking shit in the woods. I just want a nice ride really

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

68ford

Bronco Guru
Remove 2 leaf springs and replace with a 1/2 in thick block

OP
OP
ledslinger29

ledslinger29

I do like my ride height, but my shocks are wore out

68ford

Bronco Guru
I do like my ride height, but my shocks are wore out

Just be careful. Replacing old shocks with new performance likely stiffer shocks will likely make it ride stiffer.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
You're asking for an opinion. Well, here's mine.
I prefer Duffs 70/30 shocks. Especially with stock springs.
I've actually sent a set of Bilsteins back because they were just too squishy.

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
You're asking for an opinion. Well, here's mine.
I prefer Duffs 70/30 shocks. Especially with stock springs.
I've actually sent a set of Bilsteins back because they were just too squishy.

+2

I gave the Bilsteins a year and then went back to the 70/30's.

norm02

Billsteins are tough to beat and I’ve had them on a variety of trucks. That being said, I needed new shocks for my stock height Bronco (just to get it out on the road) so I went with shocks from Wild Horses. They were not expensive and since I haven’t lifted it yet I didn’t want to spend a ton of money since they are going to be temporary.

I’ve been very happy with them so far and I would recommend them if you’re not wanting to spend a ton of money. If budget isn’t an issue then I’d go with Billsteins.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
You really need to determine what about your current ride is bad. Sometimes just decent new shocks make all the differance. Most stock broncos seem to ride decent if you have a rough ride either the current shocks are worn out or too stiff. Along those lines it could be a worn out sagged suspension that is the cause of a rough ride.
So new shocks may help or may not but they are a cheaper easier option if they work out.
I probably wouldnt remove leaves unless you have the 6 pack set on there now. You might get a softer ride but you may also break a spring due to it flexing more or in a different spot than it has for the last 40 years.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And don't forget tire load range AND tire pressures.
A harsh ride can be all of the usual things you think with the suspension, but tires are a huge part of the rolling feel of a vehicle.
A Load Range E tire for instance is going to ride harsher on a relatively light Bronco ("light" being compared to what the tires are made for that is) at any pressure, vs a Load Range C tire at 25-30 psi.
By that same token, a C, or a D tire infated to 40-60 psi is not going to ride very well either.

And then you get to just plain old tires. Old tires ride like crap almost every time.

There is also still the Rancho 9000 option.
These are 10-way adjustable shocks that go from mild to wild with a turn of the knob. Over a HUGE range of valving ratings. It's probably the most versatile sub-$100 shock out there, but just is not the cat's meow in any of the settings from what I've found.
Some others feel the same way, while others love them. But it's hard to go wrong from a pure versatility standpoint.

I'm still a Bilstein fan, but I too feel that the standard ones are a bit light in the front if you have a heavy bumper and winch, or like to drive fast on bumpy dirt roads.
But their general "feel" is superior to most as long as they're valved appropriately for the rig.
I have not personally tried stiffer Bilsteins yet, but plan to do both that and softer valved ones in a dual setup (since I already have dual mounts) just to play with and see what the pros and cons for each are in my particular case.

Good luck with the decision. Tough choice.

Paul

68ford

Bronco Guru
I thought said he did have a lift and wanted it to ride like stock. Sorry.