• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Taking drum brakes off!

mini73

Thought I would start on getting the brakes working again on the bronco. Got the front hubs out but having a bear of time getting the drums off. I don't want to break anything with beating it with a hammer. Tried to screw in the adjuster on the back but that won't turn either. Any suggestions on how to get the drums off so I get the parts to fix them?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Remove the spindle nuts and lock ring. Pull the hub and drum assembly off. They come off together. You can't just take the drum off unless they have previously been modified.

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
Remove the spindle nuts and lock ring. Pull the hub and drum assembly off. They come off together. You can't just take the drum off unless they have previously been modified.

Modified how? I've not had issues with the F/R drums on mine coming off.

OP
OP
mini73

mini73

I got the spindle nut and lock ring off

OP
OP
mini73

mini73

I got it. Did not realize there was 2 spindle nuts!

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
I got the spindle nut and lock ring off

Did you get both nuts? There is one inside, then a lock ring, then the outside nut.

There is likely a lip worn on the inside edge of the drum that is keeping it from coming off, it can hang on the brake shoes.

You won't break anything with liberal use of a rubber mallet.

OP
OP
mini73

mini73

got it loose but I think the pads are keeping it from coming off. Where should I hit the drum with a big soft mallet at?

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
The outside, just tap all the way around, wiggling the drum as you go. Just have to walk it off.

You can use a wide flat screwdriver to help pry between the backing plate and drum, but don't bang on that.

OP
OP
mini73

mini73

Boy, this drum is on good! Its almost off but still trying

OP
OP
mini73

mini73

Going to take a break from getting the drums off for now. Was going to take off the flexible brake lines on the front but they are corroded also. I already know I am going to get a brake line kit, new drums and the internal things in the drum. The whole kit from TBP includes everything I need to run new brake lines right?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If you can get in the adjuster hole and back off the brake adjuster that can usually shrink the shoes enough to get them inside the wear lip of the drum.

And the drum is suppose to stay attached to the hub. When machined this way they run more true (lost variable of drum mated to hub). If the drum just slides off the hub someone has opened the clearance between the drum's lug holes and the studs, either intentionally or accidently.

OP
OP
mini73

mini73

If you can get in the adjuster hole and back off the brake adjuster that can usually shrink the shoes enough to get them inside the wear lip of the drum.

And the drum is suppose to stay attached to the hub. When machined this way they run more true (lost variable of drum mated to hub). If the drum just slides off the hub someone has opened the clearance between the drum's lug holes and the studs, either intentionally or accidently.

That was the first thing I tried to do before getting to this point. The adjuster would not turn. Tried to get the other drum off too and same thing is happening. The pads are keeping it from coming off. The drums do a lot of wiggling and moving but still not coming off.

jhill52

Most likely your drums are worn and the adjusters have expanded to the point that the shoes are in the groove and holding the drums on. Can you spray some rust penetrating oil in the adjuster hole and free up the adjusters then back them off?

ugly74

Bronco abuser
Dont forget there is a spring loaded plate that acts against the star, to keep it from loosening. I usually take a small screwdriver to push it away while i loosen the adjuster.

OP
OP
mini73

mini73

Yeah I tried to locate it with a screwdriver so I could raise it up while trying to turn the adjuster but it seems like it is not there. I got the drum off enough to see inside and noticed the (I think) loaded tab is off and just laying inside of the drum.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Early year broncos and some folks who do brake jobs don't put the adjusters on.