• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

thinking about a 351w stroked to a 408!!

OP
OP
beerad

beerad

Loc.
rochester mn
wow wild horses carries the performer RPM kit for 1880...WOW...Edelbrock intake, cylinder heads, hydraulic cam & lifters or hydraulic roller cam, timing chain (in most cases), complete bolt kits and an Edelbrock gasket set.....wow....

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Thats a nice price - horsepower from the brown truck...

OP
OP
beerad

beerad

Loc.
rochester mn
I located a 383....thoughts.. 84 block eagle stroker kit has a cast crank which im not crazy about... not new but complete from pan to carb to headers....3gs... thoughts...what to look for?...thoughts

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I wouldnt worry about a cast crank. unless your racing or planing on adding stuff like turbos or nitrous a cast crank will be fine. A stock block is probably weaker than a cast crank anyway. 383's are good setups.

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
I wouldnt worry about a cast crank. unless your racing or planing on adding stuff like turbos or nitrous a cast crank will be fine. A stock block is probably weaker than a cast crank anyway. 383's are good setups.

Agreed....I went with cast also.

$3K is a lot of dough for an engine you have no way of knowing the history of.

(Beside the fact that 383ci is sorta smallish;))

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Running 351W off CL ~$200-500
Aluminum cylinder heads off racing website or CL ~$750-1100
Cam, lifters and pushrods ~$500
Gaskets, fluids and other junk you need ~$350

This will get you over 350HP and 400TQ for not a lot of money... Then you know the components, you know the history, and you don't spend a ton of cash.

This isn't a race car - you shouldn't give a shit about cast cranks, forged pistons or anything of the sort. Build a stockish motor with good parts and it will perform for you every day.

Sure, big ass stroker motors are fun, but they chug gas, break parts and are expensive - but if that is your gig, go for it. I'm not saying I don't want one, but you don't need one.

OP
OP
beerad

beerad

Loc.
rochester mn
I have not built a stroker but found a guy that will build a 393 included;351 71-78 marine block, procomp heads, oil pan to dual plane intake, hei distributor, roller rockers, polished valve covers, aluminum water pump.. for 3gs... seems pretty fair granted its not going into a dragster just my little bronco so ...what does a mid level stroker go for these days... or is this a POS

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
well its not the best setup out there but i got this new built 427 for $3500 which included a dyno test. its a 70's block and it pulled 470ish hp and torque with my custom built quadrajet

the carb in the pic is a quick fuel it only made 430ish hp and torque

what sold me the most on this motor is the guy who built it. he runs a machine shop and has a solid reputation

OP
OP
beerad

beerad

Loc.
rochester mn
well its not the best setup out there but i got this new built 427 for $3500 which included a dyno test. its a 70's block and it pulled 470ish hp and torque with my custom built quadrajet

what sold me the most on this motor is the guy who built it. he runs a machine shop and has a solid reputation

I would say u got a smokn' deal my friend!!!:eek:

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO

Welcome to the club! Your only issue now will be holding back in all the puny 5.0L/351W threads:)

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I like the 434 better. But you would have to come over to the dark side.