• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

This shouldn't be happening, right? - rust (update)

Ksm

Bronco Guru
I just got my Bronco back from the repair shop. It was painted last Fall at a different shop. I had them weld in new front floor pans because I wanted to cut out the rust in the front. The whole car was sanded down to base metal and reprimed. It was not a cheap paint job.

It's spent January through last Friday inside a repair shop. It's been outside for less than two days. It rained last night and I took the floor mats out this morning to just wipe everything down and I found rust!

This can't be normal for it to rust this quickly can it? The area by the red box happened overnight...I was working on that area yesterday and there wasn't rust. How can one rainstorm cause this to pop up.

What the hell do I say to the paint shop?

Attachments

• DSC_1402.jpg
    DSC_1402.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 572
  • DSC_1404.jpg
    DSC_1404.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 556
Last edited:

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I wouldn't think it should rust at all if painted properly. Will the area by the red box wipe off? Some of that looks like it is just a film where the rain may have washed it down. Is that a textured coating on the floors? Only thing I can figure is the texture had been knocked off from traffic exposing some of the steel underneath.

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
It's a texture on the floor. It's coming up through little bubbles or tiny cracks int he texture. There's no rust on any other part of the car except where this texture product was used. Even under the hood where there's a scratch that's exposing bare metal it didn't rust. All alone the floor i'm finding rust spots.
It was a new product the shop used and I remember her telling me they had to call for installation direction. They obviously didn't do something right.
I'll have to take it in tomorrow. I just got it back!!!!
Bronco woes.

nutter3

I would be extremely upset if a paint job of less than a year rusted like that. There is no way they properly painted it.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Looks like small pieces of metal from grinding laying on top of the paint. Yes unprotected metal rusts quick. Just an opinion from the pictures. when ever you drill a hole be sure to get all the shavings up or this happens. when I put my rock sliders on I did all the drilling than pulled them off to clean between the layers of metal. Rust never sleeps,and we loose sleep over rust.

Edit...read your response,if it's bubbling up it's another story. Time to take it back.

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
Yes, I was drilling yesterday. I went in with a magnet this morning to get the shavings up and found the rust. I checked the holes I drilled (in the regular paint area) and it wasn't rusted.

The whole floor there's little rust dots. They're just going to have to remove whatever they put on and start over.

ransil

Bronco Guru
try scrubbing it first , might be rust stains from your drill shavings.

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
That's what I was hoping but the shavings pulled to the magnet clean and the rust spots are all over the floor...front to tailgate.

doghows72

Bronco Guru
I've had this happen in my powder coat shop before. It happened to me because I tried a new blasting media which left my substrate (floor) to rough from the blasting. Basically making little peaks and valleys everywhere, and when the powder was applied the little peaks stuck out above the layer of powder and all those little peaks rusted.
Unfortunately for me I had to strip it off re blast with my old media and re coat.
No sure if this is the same thing you have going on he here but it looks just like what happened to me.

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
I've had this happen in my powder coat shop before. It happened to me because I tried a new blasting media which left my substrate (floor) to rough from the blasting. Basically making little peaks and valleys everywhere, and when the powder was applied the little peaks stuck out above the layer of powder and all those little peaks rusted.
Unfortunately for me I had to strip it off re blast with my old media and re coat.
No sure if this is the same thing you have going on he here but it looks just like what happened to me.

That sounds the same. I requested a textured surface that would be really hard and durable. But I didn't want a bedliner. This was a paint / and new texture coating that they wanted to try. It scratches way to easily so I'm sure it was applied incorrectly.

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
I don't have any advice, only question is: is it possible there was some grinding done that deposited particles all over the interior after it was painted? This grit will rust fast so unless it was just done that's probably not the case. The magic Bronco shirt from your other post, your patiently waiting for it and now this. I can't feel as bad as you but I am so let down, my wife and I were looking forward to meeting you at OCBR as we've followed your build and your great paintings. Try to come to OCBR, let them fix the problem after it as it's only a couple of weeks away. Maybe someone there can diagnose the problem. Good luck.

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
I don't have any advice, only question is: is it possible there was some grinding done that deposited particles all over the interior after it was painted? This grit will rust fast so unless it was just done that's probably not the case. The magic Bronco shirt from your other post, your patiently waiting for it and now this. I can't feel as bad as you but I am so let down, my wife and I were looking forward to meeting you at OCBR as we've followed your build and your great paintings. Try to come to OCBR, let them fix the problem after it as it's only a couple of weeks away. Maybe someone there can diagnose the problem. Good luck.

Thank you, that made me feel much better this morning! I hadn't thought about postponing the fix. That's a good idea. I think I'll take it in to the painter tomorrow just open up the dialogue of fixing the problem. If she can't fix it in a week then I think I will wait and have her do it after OCBR. I hadn't thought of that! I'll pm y'all if I'm able to go. I'm glad you enjoy my paintings :)

sp71eb

Loc.
North Liberty, Ia
Its on top of the paint. Just like rail dust on exterior paint of cars. If you have a white or other light colored car after a winter you will notice similar rust spots on your car. The spots are from metal dust from things like snow plows on the roads and those small particles of metal rusting on the exterior of your paint. You can use clay bar to remove it. You can buy clay bar and spray wax at almost any parts store. At work we have lots of people come in to say that they need their cars fixed because their plastic bumper covers are rusting:eek:

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
Aaannnnd the body shop has since gone out of business in the last year. None of the business phone lines work and she's not returning my call to her cell.

Not to overreact but FML

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
No, it doesn't. The only thing I can do now is see if I can find the texture product she used on the flooring...and see if they have a warranty. I'm sure they'll blame it on poor installation (which is what I think happened) but they might be able to tell me my options for fixing it.

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
Do you mean her home address? I know where the shop is and it's not there. But she was planning on moving the shop over last winter. I found her e-mail address so I sent her an e-mail.

But if she's closed the business then won't they say screw it to the warranty? She's got no incentive to repair it now.

I just got my Bronco back from the repair shop. It was painted last Fall at a different shop. I had them weld in new front floor pans because I wanted to cut out the rust in the front. The whole car was sanded down to base metal and reprimed. It was not a cheap paint job.

It's spent January through last Friday inside a repair shop. It's been outside for less than two days. It rained last night and I took the floor mats out this morning to just wipe everything down and I found rust!

This can't be normal for it to rust this quickly can it? The area by the red box happened overnight...I was working on that area yesterday and there wasn't rust. How can one rainstorm cause this to pop up.

What the hell do I say to the paint shop?

Do you have their name and address?