• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

This shouldn't be happening, right? - rust (update)

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
I found her!!! She did get a new shop, and new numbers, and a new website.
I'm bringing it in and they will contact the manufacturer about fixing it. The product was Smart Tintable Bedliner. Anyone else use it?

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Great that you've located her! Wonder if this was their only mishap with that product??

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
You said you had floormats over the floor. If there was any grinding dust under the mat it would act like sandpaper plus it would rust overnight.

Jim W.

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
There were mats on both sides. It was the passenger side that had the most rust. A little on the driver's side.

I think the tips of the texture bumps wore off and that's what's rusting. It looks like rust bubbles. But the texture is flaking off in a couple spots already as well. There's no problems with the body paint. Just this bedliner.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
I would be getting a pocket knife out and checking whether the liner / paint has adhered to the floor properly.

You can probably find an are that is out of sight and not exposed to water, etc.

With any luck, this stuff comes off easily and it can be re-done.

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
I would be getting a pocket knife out and checking whether the liner / paint has adhered to the floor properly.

You can probably find an are that is out of sight and not exposed to water, etc.

With any luck, this stuff comes off easily and it can be re-done.

I was able to lift it up with my fingernail. ?:?

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
Great news I hope. I was so pissed with your first post today. Be sure she realizes you are required to attend OCBR in a couple weeks, so get with fixing it, maybe give her this website so she can see we business.

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
Good idea, I'll forward her this thread!

Seriously, if I have the option should I let her redo the bedliner or just have it taken off and the regular paint be put on like the rest of the car?

erics667

Get your money back and RUN AWAY. FAST :) Not sure I'd trust any shop that is trying something new *on you*. Why didn't she test it on another, non-customer vehicle first? Seems like common sense to me. I wouldn't let them touch it if it were me... Good luck!

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
Well the painter is removing the old bedliner (by old I mean 11 months old) and laying down a different product. Aaaaaaaand she called me yesterday to tell me the new engine is leaking.

So back to the mechanic it goes. This can of worms just keeps spewing them out!

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
Well the painter is removing the old bedliner (by old I mean 11 months old) and laying down a different product. Aaaaaaaand she called me yesterday to tell me the new engine is leaking.

So back to the mechanic it goes. This can of worms just keeps spewing them out!

Old vehicles tend to throw curve balls despite new parts and new products.

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
Oh I am way beyond regretting this new engine project! I should have left well enough alone.

When I did drive it it had great pick up and ran very well. But just the sound of it made me a sad. I was so used to how my original engine sounded. I made that damn thing work again and I knew when something was off just because of the way it sounded, on start up, when it got too hot, etc. Now it's like I'm in bed with a stranger...

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
can you elaborate lil more ?! .... he "the stranger" getting you to point "B" just w. uncustomary vocals ?

I'm going to refrain from answering until I figure out if that's an innuendo or not!:-*