• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

This thing is killing me!!!!

socofn

Loc.
Pueblo
Been working on a few things which have turned into multiple things once in the garage. I started with a carb tune-up, that went smoothly. I then decided to replace the power steering pump. It took 5 days longer to get than I expected and once I received it I screwed up the pulley on the stock one so I will need to pick a new pulley up in the am.
Since it is in the garage (supposed to be there for 4-5 days) I decided to replace the u-joint on the passenger side which was busted. Turned out that I needed a new axle for that side (pic # 3). I ordered both sides from Tom's, they should be here on wensday.
Since I have everything apart I ordered new ball joints, then I decided I might as well do the front disc conversion.
The wife says to me this afternoon, "I thought you were going to wait till there was more room in the garage?" (My son is living with us since he started a new job and has all his stuff in the open side). It snowed tonight and the wife's car is sitting outside!!!?:? I supect my name is mud at home.

Also why didn't anyone tell me that once you start you will have every tool you own and some from the neighbors scattered all over the garage! This thing is killing me, I want to drive it so bad, but it has to be safe. I still need to get the seats back in after i replace the floor pans up front and seam seal it and POR the rust areas then duracoat. UGH.

Attachments

• IMG_20110403_154706.jpg
    IMG_20110403_154706.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_20110403_154730.jpg
    IMG_20110403_154730.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_20110403_154755.jpg
    IMG_20110403_154755.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_20110403_154815.jpg
    IMG_20110403_154815.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 132
OP
OP
S

socofn

Loc.
Pueblo
I'll trade. I also forgot to mention that I opened the front diff to find several ounces of water and something that resembleded puss:eek: Once I cleaned the entire thing of the puss and crude that was present it looked really good. I did filter the "fluid" thru a coffee filter and didn't find any metal shavings.;D

RustyShackelfor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Centerville, TN
if you ever take them out, let me know. The yellow ones are impossible to find. Since My Bronco will be yellow I think yellow bushings will look good.

Clean it up really good and replace the seals too while you are in there. Any chipping on the gears?

OP
OP
S

socofn

Loc.
Pueblo
Didn't notice anything at all. No rust either. I will be picking up the seals in the am also. JP

ransil

Bronco Guru
rule #1 only do one upgrade at a time.. other wise it will be 8 years before the bronco see the road again.

rule #2 any mod will take 3 X initial estimate

rule #3 all mods will cost 3 x initial estimate

skifast

Loc.
Sandhills, NC
Welcome to world of Bronco upgrades and maintenance. I am in a very similar situation, I started one upgrade in Jaunary(ZF transmission) and has snowballed into not quite a frame off. Hopefully you can show more restraint than me :)

erwinp

I've had the front brake torn apart for a few weeks now. It's a combination of too cold, didn't have the tools (had to go buy them :D), and made discoveries that needed to be fixed. I have the Bronco sitting in the center of the garage with tools all around it.

My only saving grace with my wife is that it hasn't snowed recently and that my 3 yr old son is fascinated with it. I've had him help me loosen bolts and remove some parts. He's thrilled. When he has a friend come over, within 20 minutes he's taken them out to the garage to show them "his" Bronco and talks about things he did helping me. He then starts naming all the tools we've used. It's quite funny to watch.

Anyway, thought I'd share. ;)

69BroncoDad

Loc.
Rutland
Unfortunatly....I started with an engine swap over a year ago...then it was a new trans...then t-case well hell since I got it this far should clean under here...then the body came off...oops gotta replace that panel..well might as well replace that one since it's attached to the one i gotta replace...etc...etc..its still all apart!! lol

Attachments

• 730.jpg
    730.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 710.jpg
    710.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 267.jpg
    267.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 269.jpg
    269.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 279.jpg
    279.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 154.jpg
    154.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 047.jpg
    047.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 743.jpg
    743.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 50

69BroncoDad

Loc.
Rutland
Sorry..didn't mean to hijack your thread....just goin with the "never start more than one prodject or upgrade at a time"

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I've had the front brake torn apart for a few weeks now. It's a combination of too cold, didn't have the tools (had to go buy them :D), and made discoveries that needed to be fixed. I have the Bronco sitting in the center of the garage with tools all around it.

My only saving grace with my wife is that it hasn't snowed recently and that my 3 yr old son is fascinated with it. I've had him help me loosen bolts and remove some parts. He's thrilled. When he has a friend come over, within 20 minutes he's taken them out to the garage to show them "his" Bronco and talks about things he did helping me. He then starts naming all the tools we've used. It's quite funny to watch.

Anyway, thought I'd share. ;)

LOL that's funny i could only imagine what he would be saying.
oh yeah that dang snowball effect;D

jperry1290

I know how you feel. I added a lift last Aug which made me do a disc conv. The disc conv led to rebuilding my axle since the seal started leaking. Went to drive it and the fuel line is blocked with something. I ve driven maybe 5 miles since I bought it in July 2010

ransil

Bronco Guru
rule # 5 it is a Bolt on part/ mod, just won't bolt onto your bronco..

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
Ah, the disease in full swing ;D You have to be carful with what you take apart man. Never say the words "while Im at it, Ill....." I bought what would have been a nice driver last summer. and a 60 page plus build thread later, Im still not done. There is nothing on that Bronco that I have not touched.

brocken

Loc.
Seattle
Sounds like you too have a case of the "mightaswells".

"Hmmm, while I have the front end up and I'm replacing the hummdinger I mightaswell do the doodad since it's right there."

I think that just comes with the territory on these old trucks. It's much different when I work on my daily driver. I buy a part and install it. The car is pretty new so there's not much chance I find something else busted or worn.

I purchased a front disc kit a couple weeks ago and that turned into taking the whole front end apart and reubuilding u-joints and ball joints and seals, etc...
My new spring and shock install turned into rear end needing bearings, seals and a brake job. Front disc kit also turned into new M/C which turned into all new lines for the Bronco....
I'm scared to add up all the money I've spent but at the end I know I'll feel good and breathe easier having done that stuff.

I'm just glad it's not my DD so I can afford to extend projects a little bit. I'm also really lucky my wife is understanding and actually has interest in the Bronco.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
2 things,
Be glad you have a garage and be glad you started with a good one.
At least you have the proper hammers.
Next purchase Mens large with extra long sleeves that tie in the back.

OP
OP
S

socofn

Loc.
Pueblo
Thanks for all the encouragement. I wish I had this info before I started anything. I have only put maybe a mile or so on it. I am dying to drive it.

rule #1 only do one upgrade at a time.. other wise it will be 8 years before the bronco see the road again.

rule #2 any mod will take 3 X initial estimate

rule #3 all mods will cost 3 x initial estimate

I am positive that if I do not have this thing driveable by middle of May I may have to start living in it on the back fourty. JP

OP
OP
S

socofn

Loc.
Pueblo
Well, made some progress in the last couple of weeks but more things have popped up>

1. Got the new seals in the front diff and the new axles in.
2. Got the new steering linkage attached, need to get the front end aligned still.
3. got the power steering pump on and IT WORKS.
4. The fuel pump crapped out yesterday and after flushing the lines from the tank forward replaced the mech pump and all is well.
5 Pulled the heater box out and started on that while I don't need it.
6. got all the fluids changed. Man it took forever removing it from the transmission and the rear diff. Replaced everything with 80-90 cheap stuff, planning on later going all synthetic.
7. Decided to replace locking hubs while I had everything off, so I ordered Mile Marker, which should be in saturday. If anyone is interested I have the original ones that say ford on them.

Wife is still anoyed that she can't park in the garage but hopefully by next week. JP