• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Timing chain cover install “aluminum”

74bronk

Replacing timing chain cover and water pump on my 302. Is there something special about aluminum and using rtv on it? I bought it from Toms off road it came with vague instructions noting use very little rtv. Also need to know torque specs on the bolts for the cover. Any help is much appreciated

68ford

Bronco Guru
Ive had the best luck by far using felpro permadry plus line of gaskets(thicker and stronger than others I believe)and nothing else. All surfaces dry with contact cleaner.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
74bronk...
RTV on the timing cover gasket is the normal procedure. It will help seal any irregularities in the surfaces.
The problem is, some will use too much and the excess squishes out and also inside the timing cover.
I use just enough to wet the gasket.

I have another recommendation...
When you install the timing cover, temporarily install the harmonic balancer before tightening the timing cover bolts. There are no alignment dowels on the timing cover, and there's a chance the seal won't be aligned on the crankshaft.

Quick & Dirty

The proper way to use RTV is lay a small continuous bead. Let it cure enough to get a firm skin, but not cured through. Assemble the parts enough to flatten the bead making full contact all around, but not squish it. Allow to cure completely, then torque to spec.

If you need to stick a paper gasket in place there are specific products for that, RTV is not the best one.

71 CA Bronco

74bronk...

I have another recommendation...
When you install the timing cover, temporarily install the harmonic balancer before tightening the timing cover bolts. There are no alignment dowels on the timing cover, and there's a chance the seal won't be aligned on the crankshaft.

Great tip. I've never thought of that before.