• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Timing Chain Cover stripped threads - Help!

abrush

Loc.
Springfield, NE
Well luck has not been on my side lately and once again today I ran into a downfall. I had to remove the water pump on my 1970 Bronco with a 289 to replace it and noticed that the water pump bolts appeared smooth or stripped on the threads when I removed the bolts. However they were very tight and it took a lot of effort to get them to back out. When it came time to put the water pump back on a couple of the holes were indeed stripped as I can't get the bolts to tighten up again. I tried new bolts and even longer ones to no availability. Is there a fix for this or am I screwed again and have to remove the timing cover and replace with a new one???? Please advise.

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
are you sure that you did not break them off in the block? which ones stripped? the top ones? jsut put a nut on the back of them.

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
which bolts?? the long ones that go into the block or the short ones that go into the cover only??? You can helicoil the short ones but I think you can buy a new cover cheaper than a helicoil kit...

OP
OP
A

abrush

Loc.
Springfield, NE
The bolt that I'm talking about is the lower bolt hole to the right of the lower water pump outlet. It is a shorter bolt and does not go into the block. You can't put a nut on the back of it though. Looks like I will be removing and replacing it.

70_Steve

Old Guy
The bolt that I'm talking about is the lower bolt hole to the right of the lower water pump outlet. It is a shorter bolt and does not go into the block. You can't put a nut on the back of it though. Looks like I will be removing and replacing it.
Use a Helicoil. You can get them several places, and I think Ace hardware carries some type of thread insert. For that bolt, you should be able to drill, tap and insert the helicoil without removing the timing cover.