• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Torn about bumper decision..

Colo77Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
Colorado Springs
I really like the Hanson bumper everyone bought with the pre-runner bars and hoops but the weight is my concern. I don't like the protofab of Jeff's Bronco Graveyard bumpers as well but the one from Jeff's (pre-runner with winch mount) places the winch nice and low.

I can't decide if I should go with the badass tank of a bumper or go with something I like just a little less but weighs 50 lbs. less.

Whatever the decision I will be getting the matching rear.

mtfit

Bronco Guru
Loc.
pa
I ordered the Hanson w/ the hoops for the front, what a piece of art. its worth every pound.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Although lighter can be better, I've never had an issue with the weight of a Hanson. Even in the rear with all the doo-dads and goo-gahs haning on there.
Although I have always wanted an aluminum one for just the weight savings reason. So I'm not completely off your page here either.
The Basic Hanson weighs in at 85 lbs. If a pre-runner style only weighs 35 lbs, that's pretty lean. But I don't think your Bronco will mind 85 lbs too much.
You sure that pre-runner is only 35 lbs? That's pretty light.
Certainly you add the weight of a winch if so equipped, so that may be what you're thinking of? That would be the difference of 115lbs vs 175lbs. No small matter. But that's still just an average guys weight on the front bumper. Not too bad...
I just like the extra protection and the more coverage (visually) of the front and rear openings afforded by the plate type vs. the pre-runner style.
But then again, I am a little biased.

Funny you mention weight though. We were literally discussing the posibility of making them in both aluminum (for the weight conscious) and 1/4" chrome-moly (for the weight conscious competitor), just for weight savings. Even talked about using 3/16 instead of 1/4 with the use of proper design parameters & procedures to keep the same strength.
Production capacity is getting better every day and though the other materials would proabably be quite a bit extra, some people would still want that stuff.

So, if you want the Hanson, but want it lighter, and if you don't have to have it right away, maybe you can request it in 3/16" steel instead? I don't want to add to an already full workload, but not too far down the road, it might not be a big issue. Might be worth the "weight" (ugh! Pun intended). Probably save 15lbs as a guess.

Paul

OP
OP
Colo77Bronco

Colo77Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
Colorado Springs
The pre-runner does not weigh 35 lbs, it weighs 35 pounds less than the hanson. Not much at all going by your argument.

Think I will hve to get the Hanson! Another $1400.00 gone! Oh well.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cali77Bronco said:
The pre-runner does not weigh 35 lbs, it weighs 35 pounds less than the hanson. Not much at all going by your argument.

Actually, you were right the first time. 50lbs sounds about right for a pre-runner. But I was quoting for a "basic" Hanson, which I did mention, but in my enthusiasm, forgot to continue that train of thought and add the weight of the pre-runner bars which is what it sounded like you wanted in the first place. Oops, sorry 'bout that.
Although I did quote the weight as a "basic" Hanson, I should have dug farther for the weight of one with the pre-runner hoops instead. Apples to apples, and all that. With the hoops, it goes up 15lbs to 100 and "magically" becomes 50lbs more than the pre-runner! Imagine that. LOL
But I still feel that even with the extra 15, it's not a bad deal.
Sorry I wasn't more conscientious.

Cali77Bronco said:
Think I will hve to get the Hanson! Another $1400.00 gone! Oh well.

Good 'o. Glad to hear it. BUT, where is the $1400 coming from? Fronts AND rears I take it?

Paul