• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Traction lok springs and shims?

Broncdiesel

Loc.
Manchester,TN
So I ordered the clutches for my traction lock. When taking it apart there was no spring pressure and only had one shim that measured 0.025. The instuctions per randys ring and pinion say i need shims of 0.050. Should I just reassemble or order the springs and shims? Or is there other springs I could use? This is holding back all progress!

jhill52

It is probably not working right the way it is. Get the parts and put it back together properly.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
It is probably not working right the way it is. Get the parts and put it back together properly.

X2 got all my parts for t-loc rebuild at the Graveyard.

Soak the clutches in gear oil for 24 hours before install. It will help with break-in. Also don't forget the friction modifier.

Tim

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
This might help.

Attachments

• traction-lok manual.pdf
    720.7 KB · Views: 20

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
just looked at the clutches I would say your right not much wear. Will the traction lock hold up to 35's ok?

The factory trac locks were ok with small street tires but you go with anything over a 30 and they want last long at all. If you are going to go with a 35 tire and want a limited slip save your $ on the rebuild and put toward a Detroit tru-track, you want ever have to rebuild it again.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
ditto trac locs are not that strong they are easy to break especailly with big tires. It will last awhile just dont expect it to be all that great. I would definetly put in another shim to tighten it up and new springs would be a good idea.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
The factory trac locks were ok with small street tires but you go with anything over a 30 and they want last long at all. If you are going to go with a 35 tire and want a limited slip save your $ on the rebuild and put toward a Detroit tru-track, you want ever have to rebuild it again.

X2 on this. The Detroit Tru-Trac could last forever with proper lube changes.

If your talking about your rear Trac Loc finish rebuilding it and throw it up on Craigs or Ebay. I did and it sold in an hour or so. The Mustang guys seem to love them.
I got a new HD Strange carrier when I got my Detroit so I sold my old Trac Loc still in the stock carrier with the stock 3.50 gears still set up for the buyer to just plug in his axle. This is probably why it sold so quick.