• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

transfer case question

NM Bronco

I have C4 auto transmission. I have lot trouble shifting the transfer case. If i put it in park or nuetral it grinds terribly when i try to shift into 4WD. I have to turn off the engine to get it into 4WD..this is my first automatic.. does this sound normal thanks,

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Its not that uncommon. I generally have to do this at times when shifting into low range if the rear has been in neutral. It rarely needs to do this just going from high to low.

OP
OP
N

NM Bronco

shouldn't the transfer case stop when you put it in park.. i don't understand why it grinds so bad in park.. thanks for your input.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
This is common and the best way to fix it is to install a twin stick shifter. The stock shifter is useless after they get this many years on them.

OP
OP
N

NM Bronco

the twin shifters will allow the shift without the grinding?? sorry to be ignorant.. but how does that work? thanks for the help.

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Twin sticks allow you to shift the rear and front into gear independently. A standard shifter can get worn out and make it difficult to move both sliding gears into a range at the same time. They also allow you to use 2WD low which is cool or only use the front axle in low or high. Its alot easier to avoid grinding when you are only moving one sliding gear at a time

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
shouldn't the transfer case stop when you put it in park.. i don't understand why it grinds so bad in park.. thanks for your input.

Yes..the t-case should certainly not be spinning when your tranny is in "PARK"..and in PARK is where you are supposed to be when shifting the t-case with an auto....never while in Neutral. Not sure what problem you might have going on there that would make it grind in PARK??

Viper will know.;D

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Also twin sticks will not help the problem

sent from my rock tablet using chisel

OP
OP
N

NM Bronco

one thing to add.. i did not think it important.. at this time i do not have my front drive shaft in .. need to move exhaust pipes to allow it to fit.. is that an issue?? will my problem go away with the drive shaft in?? again.. i don't see how that would matter but i yield to the experts. thanks for the help.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
front drive shaft installed or not will not make any differance

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
With a Automatic if your shifting into high range 4wd as your driving just blip the gas and plull it into or out of 4wd high. into to 2 wd.
as for low range you have to roll the truck with transfer case in neutral and tranny in neutral slight down grade helps and just before the truck stops about 1/2 mile an hour or less then slip in the transfer case. Comming out of low range is the bitch. alot of times you have to back up a fair amount to take off the transmission stress and the put the tranny in neutral and slip the transfer case into neutral. while sitting with the transfer case in neutral shift the tranny into reverse and then into drive as the tranny changes from reverse to drive lean the shift lever into gear. This works as the gears inside the tranny have to change directions and gives you a split second to make the change. Sometimes this is very difficult and if it isn't working for you then while the truck is stopped transfer case in neutral, tranny in neutral turn off the motor and try to shift the transfer case lever into high range. If you dont make it after the motor is off put the tranny in park. Do not shift the tranny into park if the transfer case is in neutral and the engine is running the parking paul inside the tranny doesn't like it. The less the transfer case has been used the harder this all is. Some people can make the shift from low range to high range by shifting the transfercase into neutral and reving the motor and making the shift but I find for me this is very difficult to do.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It's normal for an auto. Learn to shift the tcase quickly. The trans output shaft will turn any time the load is removed from the trans output, causing grinding. Trans in PARK puts a load on the output shaft. Having the tcase in gear and tires on the ground is a load. PARK is the only position the output shaft won't turn with the engine running. The grinding when shifting to PARK is the parking pawl in the C4 grinding on the park gear. It happens after the output shaft has been allowed to come up to speed because the load has been removed. Don't do that, it can break. Sometimes your only safe option is to shut the engine off to stop the output shaft. Turn the engine off, put the tcase in gear.

OP
OP
N

NM Bronco

thanks viper.. but one clarification.. the grinding is when shifting the transfer case with the trans in park and wheels on the ground.. shouldn't the out put shaft be still and allow to shift.. with the trans i park and all at stop i cannot shift the transfer case due to very hard grinding. I understand the parking pawl but that is not what my problem..THANKS for taking time to explain it.. i want to understand what the issue is.

OP
OP
N

NM Bronco

viper... i re-read your instructions.. i think i understand..when the transfer case is shifted the trans output shaft starts to turn even if the trans is in park, right? that is why you need to shift quickly? THANKS.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
viper... i re-read your instructions.. i think i understand..when the transfer case is shifted the trans output shaft starts to turn even if the trans is in park, right? that is why you need to shift quickly? THANKS.

Not exactly. The PARK pawl locks the trans output shaft (or should). It can only do that if the output shaft is still. If the output shaft is already spinning when you put it in PARK it will grind. Shifting the tcase quickly allows you to remove the load (tcase out of gear) and re-engage before the output shaft gets up to speed.

OP
OP
N

NM Bronco

Ok.. but I am stopped .. in park before moving the transfer case and i get the terrible grind and have to shut down the engine..why is that happening..why is the output shaft moving? sorry but i hope you can explain it to me..

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Ok.. but I am stopped .. in park before moving the transfer case and i get the terrible grind and have to shut down the engine..why is that happening..why is the output shaft moving? sorry but i hope you can explain it to me..

The only way that's possible is if the PARK pawl is already broke or shift linkage is way out of adjustment. Does it roll in park?

OP
OP
N

NM Bronco

It does not roll in park.. seems normal shifting .. the column indicater matches the guide on the column. again.. i appreciate you taking time.