• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Transmission bullcrap

MountainGuy

Loc.
Athens, Georgia
Alright, it will go in freverse but not drive. What's the deal? It used to be the exact opposite. If i can't get it into drive/gear then i can't get it to the shop. Is there something i can do to get it into drive? I'm really pissed too......i just got it worked on like 3 months ago. NOW it's got my mom telling me i'm going to have to sell it..:(<br><br>I guess my question would be...is there a trick to maybe getting into gear or something that i'm missing? I really love my bronco and so does my girlfriend.....so i would really like to keep it. But it breaking down like this is putting me in debt and i can't afford it.

76 explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
oklahoma city
if im not mistaken its usally 1st & reverse that go out together ( please correst me if im wrong here) so saying that i dunno what it could be. what you could do is put it on a trailer or rent a dolly from a uhaul. or if its a close place youre going have a friend in front of you and behind and just drive it there in reverse( at a time that there isnt much traffic of course) sorry i cant help much other than what ive said

74bronc

Bronco Guru
[quote author=okiebronco link=board=5;threadid=12151;start=0#89902 date=1039473516]<br>if im not mistaken its usally 1st & reverse that go out together ( please correst me if im wrong here) so saying that i dunno what it could be. what you could do is put it on a trailer or rent a dolly from a uhaul. or if its a close place youre going have a friend in front of you and behind and just drive it there in reverse( at a time that there isnt much traffic of course) sorry i cant help much other than what ive said <br>[/quote]<br><br>I guess it could be either, but I always thought that it was Reverse and 3rd that go out together, if it is a problem with the High/Reverse clutch (the first one after the pump). <br><br><br>Mountain guy, can you get it into manual 1 or 2 and make it go forward? You mentioned drive, but not 1 and 2. You also mentioned that you have reverse but does it make the truck move? The reason I am asking is to rule out a transfer case shifting problem. Many times people misdiagnose a tranny problem when it is really the transfer that is jacked up. Is there slop in your auto shifter? Check the linkage down at the tranny and see if it just isn't quite going into gear. <br><br>The fluid is full, I presume? Burned or dirty? If it is internal, it could be a bunch of different things from valve body problems to hard parts problems. Who knows. How many miles on the trans? Were you driving it when it happened?<br><br>The C4 is really quite simple and it is a reliable trans, when set up and treated right. Good luck.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If it is the reverse servo your in luck as that part can be changed without pulling the tranny unless someone put the exhaust in the way. It is in the servo cover under the cover made of stamped steel. It is common to loose this piston seal and lose reverse. Then a crooked tranny shop gafs you for a whole tranny. you pull out the cover and slide out the servo assembly and then slide in the new one makins sure it keys in to the dog attached to the band. You should guide this thing in from under the tranny after you drop the pan and see how it all goes together.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
[quote author=Explore74 link=board=5;threadid=12151;start=0#89917 date=1039474794]<br>probably intermediate band. this holds the intermediate drum making the foreward gears possible.<br>[/quote]<br><br>It is NOT the intermident bad, that only controls second gear.<br><br>Check for the proper fluid level. On the dipstick with the engine running.<br><br>Try manual 1. If that works, you last a sprag. If that doesn't work, try manual 2. If that doesn't work, then the forward clutch pack isn't working. That means it is fried or isn't getting pressure because of a problem with the valve body or a seal. The valve body is the only thing you can work on to fix it without having to pull the tranny out.

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
Can you even move the shifter to differant gears?? Is this a linkage problem or internal??<br><br>Im thinking fluid also. Just a little low will cause it to work and not work off and on

sheneeda

Loc.
Surrey   B.C.
I lost second gear once , and couldn't get it to shift to reverse.The band jamed the linkage. A tranny shop near me could have talked me into a rebuild, but luckly he was honest and just changed the band. Didn't need to remove the tranny. Hope your problem is that simple! :)

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Hey MG,
Sorry you're having trouble with your C-4. If someone just worked on it... Did they give you any kind of warranty? If it's still under warranty, its' the shop's responsibility to tow it. Check the fluid level, if it's full then set your parking brake and chock the wheels and let it warm up in drive gear and go do something else for about 5 or 10 minutes (this is not advisable if your engine has a fast idle), you may have to let the engine run for a few minutes and get thorougly warmed up. If it's gonna move at all it will when the seals in the forward clutchpack warm-up. If it won't move forward when it's cold but begins to move after it warms up then I will bet you lunch that all the hydraulic seals internally need replacing. If you just got it worked on 3 months ago and they won't stand behind their work, then find a new repair facility.

BH

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
[quote author=Broncobowsher link=board=5;threadid=12151;start=0#89952 date=1039480972]<br>[quote author=Explore74 link=board=5;threadid=12151;start=0#89917 date=1039474794]<br>probably intermediate band. this holds the intermediate drum making the foreward gears possible.<br>[/quote]<br><br>It is NOT the intermident bad, that only controls second gear.<br><br>Check for the proper fluid level. On the dipstick with the engine running.<br><br>Try manual 1. If that works, you last a sprag. If that doesn't work, try manual 2. If that doesn't work, then the forward clutch pack isn't working. That means it is fried or isn't getting pressure because of a problem with the valve body or a seal. The valve body is the only thing you can work on to fix it without having to pull the tranny out.<br>[/quote]<br>you're right. i don't know what i was thinking.....oh i know, i wasn't! thats why i love this site, it keeps us dumbasses in check.