• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

transmission transfer case and shifting problem

OP
OP
B

bobbyray27

Just checked, its not hitting any thing. I also thought the shifter wasn't coming back far enough.

OP
OP
B

bobbyray27

Viperwolf1, Thanks for all your help one of the bolt mounting the shifter is sticking out to far and preventing it from moving all the way back. I just need to flip the bolt around so the bolt head is on the same side as the sifter and not the threads. Thank you once again.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I don't think so. Try this: Remove shifter, put front side into neutral (you still have the cover off right?), then try to move the rear rail by itself (maybe gently pry with big screwdriver on sliding gear too) and see if you can get to rear-high. You should be able to do this without much effort. If it doesn't go then pull the detent ball and spring and try again. This will help to isolate the problem to either the shifter or t-case. If it works ok without the shifter then the shifter is your problem.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Disregard my last, I'm a little slow on typing. Glad you got it figured out.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
bobbyray27,

You might take a look at the twin stick in the future. It can give you independant control of both rails if you cut the overlap from the flags. It makes shifting very easy and will give you access to rear-low and front drive only. All this and you don't have to pull the t-case to install it. Plus the chicks really dig multiple sticks.

OP
OP
B

bobbyray27

Thanks Viperwolf1 maybe I will go that route in the future but for now the new duff j shifter is working very smooth with out any problems but I can see wear it would be an advantage to have 2L and only front wheel drive.

BRETT MCALPIN

Dana 20 Coming Out Of Gear

Can Anyone Tell Me What Would Cause My Transfer Case To Pop Out Of Gear? It's A 72 With Dana 20 And J-shifter.